Puerto Rico S2000 Owners Puerto Rico S2000 Owners

LE 607 ALMASOL SAE 90

Old 01-08-2008, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LE 607 ALMASOL SAE 90

Saludos a todos, donde puedo conseguir LE 607 ALMASOL SAE 90 en PR, voy a cambiar el aceite del diferencial, ese es el que muchos recomiendan.

Tambien voy a cambiar el aceite de la transmision, cual recomiendan el de honda o el Synchromesh Transmission Fluid de ACDELCO...

gracias...
Old 01-08-2008, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by berlina_S2K,Jan 8 2008, 07:12 PM
Saludos a todos, donde puedo conseguir LE 607 ALMASOL SAE 90 en PR, voy a cambiar el aceite del diferencial, ese es el que muchos recomiendan.

Tambien voy a cambiar el aceite de la transmision, cual recomiendan el de honda o el Synchromesh Transmission Fluid de ACDELCO...

gracias...
Usa original Honda y pal carajo.

Yo cambie los mios y use Original Honda vendido under the counter porque solo los mecanicos tienen aceso, asi que busca un contacto y metele original, eso no te va a fallar!!!
Old 01-08-2008, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by S2K-Pomales,Jan 8 2008, 07:10 PM
Usa original Honda y pal carajo.

Yo cambie los mios y use Original Honda vendido under the counter porque solo los mecanicos tienen aceso, asi que busca un contacto y metele original, eso no te va a fallar!!!
Pomales check esto...me avisas (lo posteo ROAD RAGE en el foro)

As many of you know, Honda specs 90w GL-5 or GL-6 for the differential. Period.

Let's dispense with the easy part first: There is no GL-6 API specification. It was proposed but never adopted. GL-5 supplanted GL-4, and since the extreme pressure (EP) carrying capacity of GL-5 is nearly twice that of GL-4, it is now nothing more than a historical reference in terms of high performance differential lubricants. GL-4 has applicability in some older transmissions, where the sulphur compounds needed for GL-5 are detrimental to yellow metals.

Now, here is where things are going to get interesting, and disturbing to some of you. Sorry, but the science does not lie.

The load capacity of 90w gear lubes varies, but it is generally higher than a 80w90 or 75w90 gear oil, even a synthetic oil. The load capacity is partly a function of viscosity, but more a function of the additive components. Nearly all gear lube manufacturers use sulfur and zinc compounds as their EP (extreme pressure) additives.

I have been analyzing Lubrication Engineers products, and in particular their 607 90w gear oil. First, because it is the only gear oil product they sell in quarts rather than 5 or 35 pounds buckets, 55 gal. drums, etc. In other words, it is useful for US.

Now, 607 is nothing special on the surface - it is a paraffinic base (mineral) gear lube, and contains the same EP additives as the rest. Amsoil 75w90 tested out at about 350 Newtons (N) in my EP testing. Better than most 75w90's. A very good product. But LE has one more additive up its sleeve, and it's a dandy.

LE 607 tested out at over 1000 N! This must be attributable to their Almasol EP additive, which is proprietary and made by their additive subsidiary. According to their specifications, it has higher load bearing capacity than even moly, on the order of 400,000+ psi. Huge. They also claim it is inert and attracted to metal, forming a coating which fills in the gaps between asperities in a manner which increases load carrying capacity, while reducing friction at the boundary level. We were able to verify this by using SEM analysis (scanning electron microscopy). We treated a gear system with the 607 and ran it at high RPM, then removed a section for analysis. The treated metal looked very smooth compared to the untreated metal. This reduces friction and should result in lower operating temperatures.

The 607 was extremely low in adulterants, indicating it is made of very highly refined base stocks. It has no VI additives, of course, since it is a single-grade oil. It will also have complete shear stability. It is purple in color. The TBN was 1.5, typical for a gear oil. The flash point was around 400degF, somewhat lower than usually seen in a 90w, but inconsequential.

It has a pour point of -11degF, below which it will be extremely thick. So it is not for Arctic use for sure, but then, no 90w is.

By comparison, the Amsoil has a pour point of about -46degF. By other comparison, Schaeffer's 90w bottoms out at 0degF.

LE also makes some synthetic 90w gear oils, made of PAO's and esters, but without the Almasol EP additive. The pour point is extended to about -27degF.

So, there it is. Honda's recommendation is clear, and we have found at least one product meeting the specification that is a cut above anything I have seen in this grade. It offers four times the load carrying protection of the 75w90's most of the people on this Forum have used as a replacement for the factory fill. Since most dealers are clueless and I have little hesitancy to say this, I would wager that the "service lube" at most dealerships will not even be 90w at all, but likely something like "good ol' Pennzoil 80w90" - the same stuff you would find at a corner service station, covered in dust, if corner service stations still existed.

The LE 607 is widely used in racing, and by many Nascar teams, according to my contacts in the industry. I cannot verify that, but based on its analysis, that would not be surprising. Its performance is quite amazing.

So, what inferences can we draw? Does Honda spec 90w for any of its other vehicles? If not, might it be for good reason? Does the S2000's ring/pinion need a high vis, high-performance gear for best reliability? Why has Honda been so "obtuse" in specifying a lubricant type that is not in their parts chain, not easily sourced by customers, and would require extensive lubricant knowledge by service technicians, assuming they were even to bother to try to source an "industrial lubricant" from a company like Lubrication Engineers, or one of the "Bigs"? Are at least some of the differential failures reported by "hard running" attributable to the reduced shock loading capabilities of non-spec lubricants (that is, non 90w)? Can the service life of S2000 diffs be materially extended by a hi-performance 90w, considering that "mere" 75w90's have been used successfully?

I realize I have posed many questions, but also provided a number of irrefutable facts here.

Considering all the facts known to me and my own use requiremnents (garaged car, not driven in extreme cold, driven hard in hot weather), I will be switching over to LE's 607 at about 1000 miles.

Este es el link: 607 almasol
Old 01-08-2008, 07:02 PM

Tremendo post. Ahora a ver donde se consigue en FL tambien. Quiero sacar el Mobil 1 que puse en el diferencial (ya que dejo de convencerme) antes de llevar el carro a la pista en marzo.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:38 PM

Berlina, gracias por la info y gracias a ti son la 12 AM aqui en Arizona y me lei todo este topico!!! shoot!!! estoy cansado marica!!! anyway,

Mira esto:

(So now that LE no longer has le-607 and has replaced it with le 1605...

where is road rage?

this thread is a classic. )

Esto fue posteado en la ultima pagina del forum, hay que ver que pasa con esto. Yo encuentro que el Redline cumple con lo requerido para los S2000, pero esto esta interesante, vamos a ver que sucede, voy a empezar a empaparme con los tecnicos del Dealer Honda a ver que surge, te dejo saber.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by S2K-Pomales,Jan 8 2008, 10:38 PM
Berlina, gracias por la info y gracias a ti son la 12 AM aqui en Arizona y me lei todo este topico!!! shoot!!! estoy cansado marica!!! anyway,

Mira esto:

(So now that LE no longer has le-607 and has replaced it with le 1605...

where is road rage?

this thread is a classic. )

Esto fue posteado en la ultima pagina del forum, hay que ver que pasa con esto. Yo encuentro que el Redline cumple con lo requerido para los S2000, pero esto esta interesante, vamos a ver que sucede, voy a empezar a empaparme con los tecnicos del Dealer Honda a ver que surge, te dejo saber.
esta bueno verdad? valio la pena leerlo... si encuentras alguna info adicional me dejas saber, oye y si lo encuentras alla te voy a pedir de favor que me compres uno o dos y me lo envies...si no es molestia y te envio el dinero por paypal...
Old 01-09-2008, 06:03 AM

Yo voy a cambiar el de Transmision y el de Diferencial ya, so necesito empaparme con esto. Yo te voy a dejar saber, lo que no se si el envio debido a que es quimico no puede ser transportado por aire, tiene que ser por mar. Me gustaria conseguir algo que puedan conseguir generico en la Isla y obtengamos los mismos resultados.

Yo tengo suplidores en PR para equipos Industriales, yo fui Ingeniero de Mantenimiento de Equipos mecanicos en la industria farmaceutica y se quien puede conseguirlo. Voy a contactarlo a ver que me dice y te dejo saber. Check it!!!
Old 01-09-2008, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by S2K-Pomales,Jan 9 2008, 07:03 AM
Yo voy a cambiar el de Transmision y el de Diferencial ya, so necesito empaparme con esto. Yo te voy a dejar saber, lo que no se si el envio debido a que es quimico no puede ser transportado por aire, tiene que ser por mar. Me gustaria conseguir algo que puedan conseguir generico en la Isla y obtengamos los mismos resultados.

Yo tengo suplidores en PR para equipos Industriales, yo fui Ingeniero de Mantenimiento de Equipos mecanicos en la industria farmaceutica y se quien puede conseguirlo. Voy a contactarlo a ver que me dice y te dejo saber. Check it!!!
gracias, recuerda q lo cambiaron a ALMASOL LE-1605 (antes LE 607)

Old 01-09-2008, 08:27 AM

chekeen q tambien necesito cambiar los mios!!!!
Old 01-09-2008, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by berlina_S2K,Jan 9 2008, 08:30 AM
gracias, recuerda q lo cambiaron a ALMASOL LE-1605 (antes LE 607)

Mano, aqui esta, este es el site que lo puedes comprar:

http://hardtopguy.com/store/product.php?pr...at=0&bestseller

Dejame saber si tienes problemas, cuantos cuartos necesitamos para cambiarlo completo?

Quick Reply: LE 607 ALMASOL SAE 90