S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

spa yellow (y52p) spray can?

Old 03-03-2015, 04:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spa yellow (y52p) spray can?

Ok so I just picked up a oem style front lip and plan on picking up a oem spoiler too. I understand that the spa yellow is a tri coat paint process and its really difficult to match. But what do u guys think if I bought a spray can kit from a decent paint website to spray the lip and spoiler? The kits are $35-50 includes primer, paint, clear etc. Im worried if I take it to a paint shop and they dont get the paint matched up right either and they charge me up the ass. Anyone ever tried a spray paint their lip/spoiler? How it turn out? And if someone has ever used a spa yellow can, please tell me your experience please.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:17 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

This site has the correct paint in any size container, including spray cans (do buy the spray tip that attaches to the top of the can) and all the ancillary items you will need. Prep and proper priming is the key, plus do apply a plastic adhesion promoter. The site also has DIY videos and tutorials which will help. A spoiler is a good item to start with and I've found this sites paints match perfectly. Your existing paint, depending on age/prior care, may have faded so take into consideration.

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/touch-up-paint/honda/
Old 03-03-2015, 07:45 AM

Thanks vanishing.

Yea that was the site I was looking at too. I always wondered if theres difference in primer brand. Like is autozone primer good? Or is there a primer out there better then that?
Old 03-03-2015, 10:17 AM

For what you are doing there isn't much difference in quality, as far as, primers. Do buy the adhesion promotor and I would go with a light colored primer. Be sure to do your painting in a ventilated space and wear a proper mask, This paint is very harmful to be breathing for any length at all. Follow the websites recommendations on prep, sanding and painting. Also, there are some very good videos on painting plastic pieces on YouTube. Take your time, don't skip any steps and keep your surfaces clean and you will have a piece to be proud of.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:23 PM

Thanks again. Yea ill definitely watch those youtube vids.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:58 AM

Received 1,553 Likes on 922 Posts

I would like to add to VP's sound advice: weather (ambient conditions) are important. If it is cool in the morning but warming up sufficiently to paint later, I would keep the cans in the house all night so they are truly warm for the job. Don't store them in the garage. Keep shaking the cans too.

If you have not done much aerosol painting, you may want to get some cheapo paint at Wal Mart and practice on plastic or metal pieces of stuff lying around. You will find how to get enough on to get a nice layer without having runs. Too light and it will have a rough finish, too much and it will run. There is a learning curve.

Let us know how it works. I have the same color as you and I need to fix some nasty scratches under my lip. I am doing the same thing you are.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:34 AM

^^
Good advice, in my area humidity is the main problem, so pick a time of day/temp (above 65 degrees) for best results. Cosmo, the site I linked has a spray can sprayer attachment listed that works remarkably better than what's on the cans.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:18 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I've painted front lips with the spray cans color matched and the key is patience. When using a can clear coat it can appear to be simply frosting at first but don't worry, keep applying light, even strokes using the on / off method extending past the lip.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:09 AM

Well im in the new england area and its still 30 degrees here with snow still around. Ill wait till it gets a bit warmer before I start painting then. My plan is to buy the paint can, primer, adhesion promoter, spray can sprayer, and some sand paper containing 600 to 2000 grit. Ive sprayed plasti dip before on bikes but I wana do this right on the s.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by chubbys2k
Well im in the new england area and its still 30 degrees here with snow still around. Ill wait till it gets a bit warmer before I start painting then. My plan is to buy the paint can, primer, adhesion promoter, spray can sprayer, and some sand paper containing 600 to 2000 grit. Ive sprayed plasti dip before on bikes but I wana do this right on the s.
Post pics when you are done!

Quick Reply: spa yellow (y52p) spray can?