S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Alignment for dd/track car HELP!!!!

Old 03-19-2017, 04:13 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I dont know if its just me but does anyone else think that the change in alignment of two weeks of driving is extremely weird?

You almost have as much change in alignment as i did in 18 months and 10 track days.

Just to confirm, you've gone back to the same place as the first spec sheet?
Old 03-20-2017, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes i did. there isnt a speedshop with an alignment rack anywhere near me so im stuck with the same shop they are decent. i told them the tires i got sucked and they were cool about it and are letting me return the new tires i went 1k miles on and im getting supersports today. I forgot to add that we took off the extender plate on the front rollcenter balljoints so that could of been the change in the alignment.

Last edited by johnneywin; 03-20-2017 at 07:43 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:01 PM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

I ran the following alignment on a staggered setup. The alignment worked well on track/street driving without any negative effects other than some more aggressive tire wear.

Front
-1.8 camber, 0 toe, 6.4 caster
Rear
-2.8 camber, 3/16 toe
Old 05-06-2017, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Yes you need to be sitting in the car wile getting aligned. A corner balance is an added expense and though nice to have done for tuning handling, its not absolutely imperative and not something i would consider to be causing your handling issue at speed. But yes you would have scales under each wheel and the weight is checked and then the coilover height adjusted to transfer cross/corner weight to balance the car.

There is nothing in your alignment that points to your handling issue. More front camber however isn't a bad idea in general for more balanced sport alignment. Leaving your rear at -1.9/-2 with another -.5 degree would be the OEM UK alignment spec. Your rear toe is fine as is, no reason to think that is causing your handling cork, i actually run even less at 2 degrees total.

Until I see further evidence, Im banking on your tire construction being the majority of the issue. The S2k is extremely sensitive to tire construction. Stiff 2 ply sidewalls such as what comes on all years OEM Bridgstone spec or equivalent are a priority to get the car to handle right. Basing your tire selection from the experience/rating from another car is a mistake, especially when its not even in the same ballpark of vehicle platforms such as your buddies who inspired you to run these tires. More tire pressure and less rear camber with more front camber is probably the best direction to go with for the tires your on. Generally for a track alignment on this car with a stock size tire stagger, you would be in the -3 to-4 camber up front, and -2.5-3 camber in the rear. But the range is also tire sensitive, as not all tires want to be run at the same camber angle and air pressure to get the most out of them. If you want this car to perform to its higher standards on the street and track, for adhesion as well as handling precision/predictability, you really should be shopping for extreme summer category tires. Z2/Starspec would be a great recommendation.
s2000junky could u elaborate on how our cars are so sensitive to tire construction (sidewall stiffness)? more so than most other sports cars i'm assuming is what you're saying? this reminded me of that time when an experienced track guy drove my car and commented on how my ad08R's have too soft of tire sidewalls for my s2000 set up. (i have a CR w/ tein SRC). but to be honest i can't really feel it when i drive it hard. thanks in advance!
Old 05-07-2017, 11:07 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by yokevlee
s2000junky could u elaborate on how our cars are so sensitive to tire construction (sidewall stiffness)? more so than most other sports cars i'm assuming is what you're saying? this reminded me of that time when an experienced track guy drove my car and commented on how my ad08R's have too soft of tire sidewalls for my s2000 set up. (i have a CR w/ tein SRC). but to be honest i can't really feel it when i drive it hard. thanks in advance!

If those AD08's were at, or close to, full tread, that wasn't sidewall softness he was feeling.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:44 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by yokevlee
In a nutshell there are two different factors at play making a tire work to its optimum along with the cars platform/suspension. A soft sidewall will deflect more, giving more motion in the rear of this car, feeling like a sway or swing in sudden or not so sudden direction changes depending on how soft the sidewall is. This transfers more weight and inertial impacts to how the car reacts, and its generally undesirable and quite upsetting on a otherwise very sharp handling quick turn in car, the two are a bad combination. Also with a soft sidewall tire, you generally need to run more negative camber to not overrun into the sidewall, to get the sure full footprint on the ground in the tires max G loading. This also means in all other driving situations you have less footprint on the ground for braking and acceleration, and also a less sure footed feel from transitioning to strait to turning, further making the car feel vague in its handling. Generally I have found that a ultra stiff, wide tire with less camber performs the best all the way around. Wider tire needs less camber to run a consistent tire temp across the section width, also has a more sure footprint on the ground wile the stiff sidewall offers superior predictable turn in, especially appreciated the faster you go where inertia becomes more a factor in how the car behaves. I like a tight car, that's predictable.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:22 PM

Received 199 Likes on 157 Posts

Sure there's a lot of good different information on the car. My one thing to do is to make small charges after each event. You will learn the car in time. Don't expect to become a race car driver after a few events. One thing is that a great summer tire makes a big difference on the track. Brakes would be number two on the list. Again learn your car man and enjoy it. Later BD