S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Better brakes with AP2V2 wheels?

Old 09-10-2016, 08:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Better brakes with AP2V2 wheels?

I track my supercharged S2000. It is also a daily driver. I have two sets of AP2V2 wheels (stock 2006). One set has street tires and the other has track tires. I also have a set of track pads and a set of street pads. When I go to the track, I switch the wheels/tires and pads. I also have front brake ducts.

I have been cracking the stock front rotors and would like to improve the heat capacity of my braking system. I would like to stay with the AP2V2 wheels. Buying a BBK and two sets of wheels is a bit expensive.

Are there any brake set-ups that work better than stock and also fit the stock wheels?
Old 09-11-2016, 02:53 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I think Tarox brake kit will fit
Old 09-11-2016, 06:16 PM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

Tarox 6 and 8 piston will work. I have the 6 piston with plain rotors. You can get slotted (curved), drilled and drilled/slotted. I took plain because I don't want to risk cracking on the track even though I have great brake ducts.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:28 AM

Received 559 Likes on 391 Posts

An alternative is to "upgrade" to the accord caliper and some larger vented 2-piece rotors. Without doing research on it, my main concern with the tarox kit would be pad selection and an uncommon pad shape.

https://robrobinette.com/S2000RB.htm

http://www.racingbrake.com/S2000-FRONT-00-09-p/2139.htm

I'm not a fan of racing brake, though. I'm sure you can probably find an alternative 2-piece rotor supplier to accommodate using the accord caliper.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bullwings
An alternative is to "upgrade" to the accord caliper and some larger vented 2-piece rotors. Without doing research on it, my main concern with the tarox kit would be pad selection and an uncommon pad shape.
I actually went, as one of the very early adopters of the Accord/TL caliper up-size, from that to the Tarox. As to the pad, it's available from Tarox, Ferodo, EBC (yellow only) Carbotech and another US supplier whose name I cannot recall. It is available in both street and track formulations.

When you upgrade to the Accord/TL caliper you move from an OEM pad area of 42 cm² to 61 cm². When you move to the Tarox, it's 42 cm² to 80 cm².
Old 09-17-2016, 06:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the info.

Bullwings, why are you not a fan of Racing Brake?

hecash, I really like your wheels. I have a Suzuka blue car and that color would look nice on it. Why did you go from the Accord calipers to Tarox? Where can I buy the Tarox kit?

I like the Accord caliper / NSX rotor combination just because they are OEM parts and should be readily available from many places. Is there a similar rear kit that uses an OEM caliper / rotor combination that also fits AP2V2 wheels?
Old 09-18-2016, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been wondering this myself too. I really like my factory AP2V2 wheels and don't want to change, but I want some better braking because I do get some fade. My laser pyrometer shows the fronts at about 300, but the rears at abut 500 degrees.

What I'm looking into is an OEM upgrade, using all Honda parts.

Looks like the Acura NSX / Acura Legend calipers are a bolt on, but require some shimming. These are two piston, so you get a much larger clamping area, and better clamping distribution, but they also FIT, because they don't stick out any more than the factory single piston types.

Here's a couple threads where I found people using these calipers.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/919...#entry21294268

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/768...#entry18225942

The first think I'm planing it doing is getting the NSX rear calipers, because this allows using the thicker, vented disk from racing brakes.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you considered upgrading your rears? I have the Urge Flow rear rotors (stock front) and it's helped quite a bit. Although I probably don't track as often as you do (and less power) but still an improvement otherwise. It uses stock calipers but a two-piece vented rotor.

It may or may not solve your issue, but something to consider.

Cheers
Old 09-27-2016, 02:44 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Hecash what model Tarox are you running?
Old 09-27-2016, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by beechx1
hecash, I really like your wheels. I have a Suzuka blue car and that color would look nice on it. Why did you go from the Accord calipers to Tarox? Where can I buy the Tarox kit?
I apologize to you and those following for not responding. I've been in Boston taking care of my 98-year-old mother's affairs.

Wheels
The powder coating is a custom blend from Prismatic Powders and I've lost the forumula. It's one of their gold basic colors with a light red metal flake added to blend a bit with the body color, NFR.

Why Tarox
I drove the Tarox 6 on a Type R with mild performance pads at Blackhawk Farms Raceway. They had an earlier bite on a car equipped with essentially the same master cylinder. So, I decided to give it a try and it gave me the desired earlier bite result.

Where to Buy
I bought mine directly from the USA Tarox office. They may refer you to a vendor.
Paul McGrath
P.O. Box 225
Sheperdstown, WV 25443

and usoffice@tarox.com

The kit is KMHO0835 but with plain instead of slotted rotors. They also have a drilled/slotted option. I like plain rotors.

Quick Reply: Better brakes with AP2V2 wheels?