S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Coilovers and Ride Height

Old 03-21-2017, 02:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Coilovers and Ride Height

I tried Googling my question before I posted this question but I cannot seem to get a clear answer to what I am asking. My question is: Can you adjust the ride height of a set of coilovers to be the same or almost the same as stock ride height? If so which coilovers allow this?Are there any draw backs to this?

I am only asking because my driveway sucks to go up and down from. I scrape sometimes at stock height even when I try going in or out at an angle.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-21-2017, 03:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why not just stick with the stock suspension if you want to keep the stock ride height?
You could remove the front lip as well if it becomes a constant issue.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:11 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Generally, coilovers are used to lower the car...so you have things working against you if you want to keep stock height.

Some coilovers will allow more adjustment than others and will work better at tall heights than others.

It would help to answer your question for you to state why you want coilovers in the first place.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by b_ron
Why not just stick with the stock suspension if you want to keep the stock ride height?
You could remove the front lip as well if it becomes a constant issue.
Originally Posted by B serious
Generally, coilovers are used to lower the car...so you have things working against you if you want to keep stock height.

Some coilovers will allow more adjustment than others and will work better at tall heights than others.

It would help to answer your question for you to state why you want coilovers in the first place.
I should have mentioned why I wanted coils in the first place. My bad lol. I plan on tracking my car and I have already taken it to the track in stock form. I want a stiffer suspension to compensate for the body roll and i figured going with coilovers is the best way to go. I don't mind adjusting the ride height at the track but i want to be able to raise the car back up when I leave. Am i asking for too much from a coilover setup? I blame my driveway... I should get some pictures and show you guys just how bad it is.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:26 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dv55xc
I should have mentioned why I wanted coils in the first place. My bad lol. I plan on tracking my car and I have already taken it to the track in stock form. I want a stiffer suspension to compensate for the body roll and i figured going with coilovers is the best way to go. I don't mind adjusting the ride height at the track but i want to be able to raise the car back up when I leave. Am i asking for too much from a coilover setup? I blame my driveway... I should get some pictures and show you guys just how bad it is.
A Koni GC setup sounds perfect for you. Or maybe Koni plus CR springs. The GC setup could be higher rates and stock if you really want to adjust ride height a small amount and/or go higher on rates. I'd probably get an inch longer springs than GC normally provides to ensure you can hit stock height. But I'd discuss it with them.

CR springs will up the rates quite a bit and control the body for track usage. Local guy with a CR gets around pretty good on 100% stock suspension.
The following users liked this post:
dv55xc (03-22-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 06:50 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Yep...a stock CR suspension or Koni/GC will work well. KW will also work well at higher heights...but you'll still end up maybe 1/2" or so lower than stock...unless you really crank up the spring height.

I think Öhlins will get you to almost stock height as well...but don't take my word too strongly there.

You don't want to lower the car just for track days and then raise it to come home...because that requires re-clocking the bushings and getting an alignment twice. If doing all that work twice doesn't sound like an issue, then ...yes...you can lower it at the track and then raise it for the drive home.
dv55xc (03-22-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 07:06 PM
Community Organizer

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Depending on how much you plan to track the car. I have the Koni Yellow CR spring set up and love it. But I'm planning to upgrade to Ohlins by the end of the summer. At the current price for Ohlins they are worth it. Either way you would be happy. I would say find a great sway bar to keep the car planted on the track. This will just help the suspension do its job better on the track. Enjoy the car.
dv55xc (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 12:51 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

All coilover kits (that haven't been designed to absolutely be slammed to the ground (with shorter bodies than stock)), will run the OEM ride height. Before I could get my car aligned, the easiest thing for me to do was self fit the Ohlin's dampers at the stock ride height to give as little change to the geometry as possible until I could get this adjusted. In fact, as it turned out fitting the 10k rear springs to the factory set collar position actually gave me stock ride height on the rear and I only had to adjust the fronts up to achieve OEM settings.

If you want a good road and track compromise, the Ohlins are hard to beat .
dv55xc (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 07:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep in mind that every time youy adjust the ride height you need an alignment. So you'd have to lower it, get it alignment, track it, raise it, another alignment, and repeat. It's gonna be way more of a pain than it's worth imo. Just buy a $100 lip protector and keep your car at one height all the time and let the lp take all the abuse lol
dv55xc (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by NFR-S2k-
Keep in mind that every time youy adjust the ride height you need an alignment. So you'd have to lower it, get it alignment, track it, raise it, another alignment, and repeat. It's gonna be way more of a pain than it's worth imo. Just buy a $100 lip protector and keep your car at one height all the time and let the lp take all the abuse lol
I have a lip protector. The problem is that it lowers the front ride height in a way and since it is bolted to the lip/bumper. I already snagged the lip protector once on my driveway and it tore the lip off. I was able to fix it but the risk of breaking it again increases the lower I go in ride height. I may have to tear the driveway down and rebuild it before I do any lowering.

Quick Reply: Coilovers and Ride Height