S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

DIY: Brake Bleed (Gravity Method)

Old 12-10-2012, 04:16 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer

but to clarify the caliper order,....is yours listed looking at the front of the car or sitting in the driver seat???
It's front passenger side first
Old 12-10-2012, 02:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wydget
This is a great write up with a lot of detail and pics. Exactly I'm looking at doing this in the next few days. I've noticed that on my brake fluid reservoir, there is a screen that doesn't allow me to get to that inside of the reservoir. Does this just come out?
I believe I know what you are reffering to. I didn't make a mention of it in the write up, but yes you can just take it out. It's just a filter to stop anything from getting into the reservoir.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by RedCelica
Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer' timestamp='1355116026' post='22200136

but to clarify the caliper order,....is yours listed looking at the front of the car or sitting in the driver seat???
It's front passenger side first

Edited that in to clarify for people.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HvRRZ
Originally Posted by Wydget' timestamp='1355113158' post='22200071
This is a great write up with a lot of detail and pics. Exactly I'm looking at doing this in the next few days. I've noticed that on my brake fluid reservoir, there is a screen that doesn't allow me to get to that inside of the reservoir. Does this just come out?
I believe I know what you are reffering to. I didn't make a mention of it in the write up, but yes you can just take it out. It's just a filter to stop anything from getting into the reservoir.
Thanks!
Old 12-29-2012, 01:36 PM

In the process of bleeding now and its taking a really long time for the front pass. side. Any tips to speed this up? It's been like 20 mins and it's barely dripping lol.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by goy091
In the process of bleeding now and its taking a really long time for the front pass. side. Any tips to speed this up? It's been like 20 mins and it's barely dripping lol.
I know it's late but I dealt with this on the rear passenger side. I didn't have the bleeder opened enough. It took me over two hours to realize it. Lol.

And FYI, this is what dirty fluid looks like when you don't change it in over 100k miles. Although it was mixed in with even older brake fluid.
Name:  A0E981D1-3FAA-439A-B836-02B28791EA35-9293-0000037455E9A0E1.jpg
Views: 9299
Size:  67.8 KB
Old 01-01-2013, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Wydget
Originally Posted by goy091' timestamp='1356820606' post='22236022
I know it's late but I dealt with this on the rear passenger side. I didn't have the bleeder opened enough. It took me over two hours to realize it. Lol.

And FYI, this is what dirty fluid looks like when you don't change it in over 100k miles. Although it was mixed in with even older brake fluid.
Thanks for the reply. I finally got fed up and topped the fluid off and went for a drive to heat things up. Worked much better when warm but was still pretty slow compared to everyone saying 1-2 hrs total for the car. I found that when the fluid was barely dripping that closing the bleeder and pressing the brake a couple times then re-opening the bleeder, helped speed up the process. Not sure if this messes with the idea of the gravity bleed but in closing the bleeder I didn't get any air into the system and the pedal feels better than before.

My fluid didn't look like that, but was dark and a little cloudy. Will be tackling the clutch bleed tomorrow with all the extra ATE I have left over.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:21 AM

Oh also to note filled up a little less than 500ml water bottle with the old fluid.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:36 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Is this a repost of the original gravity bleed DIY that has been around for years? Or a new one?

Personally, I have used both this method and a vacuum pump. In the winter, you have to use a pump or it will literally take all day to bleed the rears. The cold makes the fluid too thick. But if it is warm enough, this method works great.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by goy091
Originally Posted by Wydget' timestamp='1356902170' post='22237149
[quote name='goy091' timestamp='1356820606' post='22236022']

Thanks for the reply. I finally got fed up and topped the fluid off and went for a drive to heat things up. Worked much better when warm but was still pretty slow compared to everyone saying 1-2 hrs total for the car. I found that when the fluid was barely dripping that closing the bleeder and pressing the brake a couple times then re-opening the bleeder, helped speed up the process. Not sure if this messes with the idea of the gravity bleed but in closing the bleeder I didn't get any air into the system and the pedal feels better than before.

My fluid didn't look like that, but was dark and a little cloudy. Will be tackling the clutch bleed tomorrow with all the extra ATE I have left over.
[/quote]

If you had read fully, I actually do mention that if things slow down you should close bleeder and pump the peddle.
Glad you figure it out at the end.

Quick Reply: DIY: Brake Bleed (Gravity Method)