S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Karcepts Sway Bar Install

Old 10-19-2014, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I will start off by saying that adjusting the bar on track is awesome! I don't even think it took a full 2 minutes.

The lot is really bad for testing components, so next weekend I'll have a better idea of what the bar will do. Driving around on the street it feels really good, so I hope it translates to the course.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:13 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by iamxpL
Got to test it out this weekend on my friends STR prepped car, Hole #5 against Gendron Hole #6 full stiff. The car is also on 3 year old BFG rivals down to the bars. The bar on this setting gave us the same stability in the slaloms, less under steer on turn in. We decided not to put the bar on full stiff since i thought it would have given too much understeer. The car rotates nicely under throttle on tighter corners. But the car did give a slight over steer under acceleration out of corners. Maybe its just my bad driving =X or i have the shocks set improperly. Overall i am very happy with the bar and i think it hits the sweet spot on the spring rates. We will test again this weekend on our home lot in meadowlands. Since the lot has been resealed we may opt to go for a lower setting. Previously we ran it in hole #6 on gendron and it was understeer city. So we will leave it at #5 on karcepts and may move it down to #4. Also we are running a modded miata bar in the rear with an extra softer adjustment hole. unknown rates on the settings with the extra adjustment hole.

*notes on the adjustment procedure*

WOW IT WAS SOO MUCH EASIER! Given you have followed the instructions and have everything right, you really do not need to jack up the car at all. My Co driver and I adjusted each side while the car was on the ground. I never adjusted my gendron bar during autocross events due to the process it required to do so.
Finally got to test it out on my CR A street prep so basically just the sway bar. Hole #3 is a bit stiffer than the gendron hole #3 as expected it would probably be equal to or close to Gendron hole #4 on the 1.25 hollow bar. I didnt need the feel to adjust it just yet back to hole #2. The car had great balance on our newly sealed lot. we had a great course today, national style course. fast with all the elements so i got to put the car through its paces. Ill post video when i get home.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:51 PM

I couldn't find a good balance, it was really fast through slaloms, but the rear felt unstable. Then we had a semi tight "U" turn thing that I couldn't figure out. It was a horrible feeling, the car would turn in great, but when steering angle increased it would push... So I when out to a parking lot close by and played with my dampening turned the front down, and the rear up, seems to be a little better, I'm on the second hole now so I'll be going back to the first hole i think. I did notice I'm rubbing up front on tight turns off throttle, I may be raising the car up a little more. I honestly didn't think the car would under steer this much.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:48 AM
Community Organizer

So wait, you are on the second softest hole? Headlights ooooOo tail lights. With a rear bar on? And you are getting pushing on a squared set up? Whats your alignment settings?
Old 10-21-2014, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by iamxpL
So wait, you are on the second softest hole? Headlights ooooOo tail lights. With a rear bar on? And you are getting pushing on a squared set up? Whats your alignment settings?
Yeah I thought it was odd as well, 0 front tow, -2 camber front & rear and a tiny (forgot how much) toe in, in the rear. I'm thinking of adding some front negative camber, and or removing some in the rear.

I have the NC bar in the rear and its on. If all else fails I may go back to a stock rear bar but I'm not sure it will help.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:51 AM
Community Organizer

That is quite baffling. I would have expected that to rotate much better, almost over steery to be on the softer settings. I would try increasing camber in front up to at least -2.5 . I run 1/16th total rear toe. How about caster? Or could be that you prefer a looser car. Hopefully someone can chime in .
Old 10-21-2014, 08:58 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by DrivenAP2
I couldn't find a good balance, it was really fast through slaloms, but the rear felt unstable. Then we had a semi tight "U" turn thing that I couldn't figure out. It was a horrible feeling, the car would turn in great, but when steering angle increased it would push... So I when out to a parking lot close by and played with my dampening turned the front down, and the rear up, seems to be a little better, I'm on the second hole now so I'll be going back to the first hole i think. I did notice I'm rubbing up front on tight turns off throttle, I may be raising the car up a little more. I honestly didn't think the car would under steer this much.
So the rear feels unstable you said? Stiffening the front bar would help keep it planted but will give push. Also how cold was it when you ran? did you have a co driver? this definitely affected me yesterday. i suffered on rs3 with no co driver on a cold day. the first 1/3 of the course was pushy since the front tires didnt get heat like the rears did since i would spin them.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Wow, I agree.. I was actually worried DrivenAP2 was going to say the bar wasn't stiff enough with his soft non-stagger spring setup + square tire setup. You are in STR DrivenAP2, put in at least 3 degrees of front camber and see what that does for you... check that rear toe, maybe you have more than you think.. I run 3.3 deg front camber, max caster, 0 front toe, 2.4 deg rear camber, and .09" rear toe.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:02 AM
Community Organizer

Our STR car runs -3.0 camber, Max caster, 0 toe front -2.6 camber and 1/16th toe in
Old 10-21-2014, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Karcepts
Wow, I agree.. I was actually worried DrivenAP2 was going to say the bar wasn't stiff enough with his soft non-stagger spring setup + square tire setup. You are in STR DrivenAP2, put in at least 3 degrees of front camber and see what that does for you... check that rear toe, maybe you have more than you think.. I run 3.3 deg front camber, max caster, 0 front toe, 2.4 deg rear camber, and .09" rear toe.
Lol no the bar isn't the problem, it performed really well.

I'll change the alignment, and I think my rear total toe is 0.04" it's not much.

I may end up going back to the first hole on the bar and seeing how it feels. The car at this point will push before it even thinks of letting the rear slide. It's kinda nice but I can drive out of oversteer, I can't do anything but slow down for understeer.

Quick Reply: Karcepts Sway Bar Install