S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Ohlins DFV and Urge review

Old 05-28-2015, 09:48 AM

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

Took the car out for another track day on my local course... I put some Maxxis RC-1's on the car that I had scrubbed in the previous week and took another 2 seconds off my time, which should be expected. Something I did note, relating to the suspension... The curbing isn't very good at this track, which I have known. On the final turn entering the straight, I used to avoid the outside curbing completely on corner exit because it just upset the car too much. Well, I tracked out a little further at one point causing me to just start getting on the curbing. I realized that I barely felt it, so the next lap I used all of it. When I did that, I did feel the curbing, but it wasn't upsetting the car anymore.

Bumping up the dampers up front one more click seems to have tamed my transitional tail-happiness. The car is getting much more predictable and the break-away on both street tires and R-comps seems very smooth without having to make and speed scrubbing corrections. As I get the car dialed in, it is getting fun on track... The 5.0 Mustangs, Corvette's, etc like to motor me down the straight thinking it's the last they'll see of me, but then a turn later, they're slowing me down. I've gotten to the point that I don't wait for the point-by anymore, just dive in and pass.

On a side note, if anyone has seen "CJ from the Internet" on 1320 Video recently run 9.77 on his stock long block STi, I convinced him take off work early that Friday and come get a taste of going fast in other than a straight line. He was very excited, but at the end of the session, he felt sick. On top of the turning, he said he wasn't ready for the braking this car does, brake zone after brake zone. I let him drive the car home and he really enjoyed driving the car. After telling him how stiff my spring rates were, he was surprised as it was soaking up the bumps so well (it's still stiff).
Old 05-28-2015, 08:30 PM
Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Love the follow up testing. Thank you again for all the feedback.

"I've gotten to the point that I don't wait for the point-by anymore, just dive in and pass. "

Old 06-04-2015, 06:04 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

The bump adjuster is at the bottom on S2000 KW V3's. The rebound is at the top. If you got the two mixed up as it says in your first post...that would be the explanation for the bad handling and ride that probably went along with the changes.
Old 06-04-2015, 06:09 PM

Thanks for catching that. It was a typo. Like I said, I had a few beers.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:19 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

I have a very similar spring setup as yours on my V3's. I have the OG V3's that came with 500lb springs.

670F and 570R (10k/12k or 120N/100N).

I just got the dampers dialed in and they're almost as comfortable as they were before. Ironically, the fronts are TOTALLY fine with the bump set at 4.5 "sweeps" from stiff and rebound at 6 from full stiff.

The rear spring rates barely changed and I've had some trouble dialing the rear shocks in. They're either too hyperactive or they're too floaty. I had trouble finding a happy medium. I FINALLY found it at close to stock settings of 4 sweeps from full stiff on bump, and 11 clicks from full stiff on rebound. Makes sense that those settings would work because the springs are only slightly more stiff than stock.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Doesn't making front rebound stiffer all else equal cause more entry oversteer? By stiffening rebound you delay weight transfer to the springs on the loaded side because the rebound resists the inner wheel from unloading. By contrast rear rebound has the opposite effect. Perhaps your tuning philosophy is working because you understand this as well as the fact that adjustments change both compression and rebound.
If you trail brake, the front rebound isn't doing anything on corner entry. The rear is what's operating in rebound. Stiffening rear rebound will cause more rotation on corner entry. If you don't trail brake, that's a different story.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:05 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Page 7 is useful for setting up shocks: http://www.bilsteinus.com/fileadmin/...g-2015-web.pdf
Old 06-12-2015, 06:41 PM

Received 403 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
Page 7 is useful for setting up shocks: http://www.bilsteinus.com/fileadmin/...g-2015-web.pdf
This says increasing front rebound increases exit oversteer.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:33 AM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Originally Posted by DavidNJ' timestamp='1433891115' post='23642477
Page 7 is useful for setting up shocks: http://www.bilsteinu...og-2015-web.pdf
This says increasing front rebound increases exit oversteer.
Actually it says to reduce understeer, but yes, it is interesting. It is specified for corner exit when acceleration is causing weight to be transferred to the rear and the car in unwinding from the turn, both of which cause the outside front to rise.

That is why the chart is interesting, it is treating the turn dynamically and the exit different than the entrance.
Old 06-14-2015, 05:32 PM

Just finished up with another track weekend and still happy with the setup. I'm getting a little faster still and finding that minor adjustments need done. Coming into one of our tight turns before the main straight where I trail brake a good bit, I was starting to have a little more rotation in the rear. I went ahead and backed the rears back one click and instantly the rotation was tame and I was able to hit the turn like I wanted. It's still surprising to have one click be noticeable.

A buddy of mine was running his S2000 out as well who also has DFV's with the stock Ohlins springs, Gendron front bar and Miata rear. He was having a little bit of plowing in the same turn so we softened the front by one click and it improved. He said it could go a little more, so the next plan was to kick the rear up a click, but I don't think we ever got to it. He pulled off 2 seconds off his previous best lap time from the previous year (he's had the DFV's for a couple years).

On another note, Patrick, I may be sending two new customers your way in the future. We had 5 S2000's out in total and with the lap times we were running, they're pretty sold on making the DFV's part of their suspension setup. The event was a "Midwest Stangs" track day. Although a mix of cars, lots of 'Murica out there. Quite a few people came up to look at the car and ask about it... One person thought it was boosted. The face he made when I said it was NA was good.

Here is a video from the first day; I got a new GoPro mount .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go-RbixiERU

Quick Reply: Ohlins DFV and Urge review