S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Square Ohlins DFV Damper and Sway Settings?

Old 10-06-2016, 01:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Square Ohlins DFV Damper and Sway Settings?

For those of you running Ohlins DFV's on the track with a square setup, what springs, sway bars, and damper settings are you running?

I am transitioning to DFV's and 255's and trying to figure out where to start.

It looks like most people are going 12k/10k on the springs.

For what it is worth, I use my car for about 50/50 street/track

Cheers!
Old 10-06-2016, 03:12 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Start with the 10/8 and go from there.

I'm using 10/8 stock springs with my 255 square setup. Prior to that, I was on 12/10 with KW V3's. Always ran stock MY00 bars. Never tried disconnecting one or using different bars

Without aero....for me...the 10/8 seems a teeeeeeeeeeeny bit faster and easier to drive than 12/10.
Old 10-06-2016, 04:40 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

I have used normal DFVs with 10kg/10kg HyperCo springs, and my current custom valved DFVs with 13kg/13kg Swift springs. I used the 10kg/10kg setup with both a 225/255 staggered setup and 255/255 square setups and OEM 06 sway bars as well as 3-way adjustable ASM sway bars.

The current 13kg/13kg setup I have only used with 255/255 tires. I have driven a car with DFVs and the normal 10kg/8kg springs and I definitely prefer 10kg/10kg to that personally. More neutral for me and better transition to oversteer. I like the current 13kg/13kg setup the most because on high grip tracks with the current high grip street tires available the car was taking a little longer than I wanted to transition from side to side and front to back.

All that said, you won't know what you want until you have a starting point. I would just start with 10/8 as suggested and develop it from there. If you know you prefer a car that can rotate more on entry then you might try starting with a 10/10. In my opinion the 10/10 setup is easier to drive, less prone to snapping, and generally easier to tell what the rear end is doing. But it all comes down to driving style and personal preference.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:38 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
I have used normal DFVs with 10kg/10kg HyperCo springs, and my current custom valved DFVs with 13kg/13kg Swift springs. I used the 10kg/10kg setup with both a 225/255 staggered setup and 255/255 square setups and OEM 06 sway bars as well as 3-way adjustable ASM sway bars.

The current 13kg/13kg setup I have only used with 255/255 tires. I have driven a car with DFVs and the normal 10kg/8kg springs and I definitely prefer 10kg/10kg to that personally. More neutral for me and better transition to oversteer. I like the current 13kg/13kg setup the most because on high grip tracks with the current high grip street tires available the car was taking a little longer than I wanted to transition from side to side and front to back.

All that said, you won't know what you want until you have a starting point. I would just start with 10/8 as suggested and develop it from there. If you know you prefer a car that can rotate more on entry then you might try starting with a 10/10. In my opinion the 10/10 setup is easier to drive, less prone to snapping, and generally easier to tell what the rear end is doing. But it all comes down to driving style and personal preference.
Did you try stiffer anti-roll bars rather than stiffer springs? Was the transitional lag equal on cornering, braking, and acceleration?
Old 10-07-2016, 09:01 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
Originally Posted by andrewhake' timestamp='1475800800' post='24078471

Did you try stiffer anti-roll bars rather than stiffer springs? Was the transitional lag equal on cornering, braking, and acceleration?
Yeah more of an overall lack of response in longitudinal and lateral movements. Don't get me wrong it is small but I am getting into the fine details. I understand why some people go for stiffer anti-roll bars and softer spring setups, but I like the car to transition and react in a balanced way in all directions. It really comes down to what tires one is using. With 255/255 AD08R and RE71R the 13kg/13kg setup seems a much better match to the available grip and my ride height.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:33 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If you run the numbers I really wouldn't reccomend running the 8k springs on the rear. There is a lot of information around s2ki about the lack of stroke on the rear damper. With the 8k spring and a small amount of preload you will be touching the bumpstop once the car is on the ground. It's true that the stock setup uses the bumpstops a lot but the bumpstop that Öhlins includes isnt designed to be used like that. By the time you've added enough preload to get off the bumpstop you won't be able to get the car very low as the lower mount is pretty wasteful of space. I'd reccomend at least 10k in the rear otherwise you will just end up having to re do everything. It's a shame Öhlins couldn't find a way to get a bit more stroke in the rear damper as it's a great setup otherwise.

Check out Gernby's thread, he talks about the lack of stroke on the rear damper:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/958...-coilover-kit/
Old 10-17-2016, 07:30 PM

^This is absolutely not true. Read toward the end of the thread you posted.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:32 PM

Also, if your spring rate is higher, and it holds the shock further from the bumpstop...that ALSO raises the car.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:56 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not seeing anything in that thread that disagrees. You can add enough preload to get the bumpstop clearance but you will run out of adjustment in the lower mount. The higher spring rate will not compress as far but you also don't need as much bumpstop clearance as it also wont compress as much while hitting a bump.

If you are running 14k+ spring rates then everything would be great with the limited stroke, thats what the TTX/Penske etc have. The issue is that the DFV is the stroke of a TTX without the high spring rates. I'm not saying you can make them work, its just a shame that they did't put a longer stroke rear damper as they probably could have based on the lower mount design.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:11 PM
Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

We’ve been looking into this after going through the DFV setup process on one of our shop cars and found similar things. After doing some investigating we determined that we could fit a significantly longer stroke damper in the rear without losing any ride height adjustment. Can't say too much yet but we should be ready for an announcement soon. So far looks like we will be able fit to 7-8k minimal preload required.

Our goal is also to make some parts to help the people with the original kit get lower as well so they have additional flexibility.

Quick Reply: Square Ohlins DFV Damper and Sway Settings?