S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

unstable at high speeds

Old 11-15-2016, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default unstable at high speeds

I did an alignment when i put my KWV3 coilovers on, it is lowered about 1.5-2.0 inches and its pretty stiff all the way around. My question is that when i reach for example 120mph+ the car feels unstable and feels like its about to spin out, i can be holding the steering wheel as straight as possible and it just starts to wobble side to side making it unstable at really high speeds. I am running 18x9 42 offset all the way around with 255 35 in the rear and 225 40 in the front, but it was also doing the same thing when i had the stock wheels on. if i'm not mistaken it has to do with the alignment because i think my alignment settings are more for track but i never track the car, I'm really just looking for straight line stability at any speed. My alignment is Caster maxed out in the front if i'm not mistaken its somewhere a little more than 7, camber is -1.7 front and 2.7 Rear, Toe is 0.00 up front and 0.08 each side on the rear which equals up to 0.16 total toe in the rear. Steering response did increase a little more when i put 18's on, but i've gotten used to it. Do i need to buy anything so the car can be more stable at high speeds, do i need to change my alignment specs? Any help would be great. Thanks.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're going 120mph+ regularly, I think you would need aero for stability.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:39 PM

I don't do 120+ regularly its just whenever i do it starts to get a little unstable. I think it has to do with my alignment. Never used to do it when i had stock suspension
Old 11-15-2016, 01:48 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Did you change your tires since stock suspension as well? What tires are you on now? Alignment looks good pretty good, but a little less camber in the rear wouldn't hurt if possible. -2 would be good. This isn't the most stable car at those speeds even if everything is correct. Its a short wheel base car. But it should still not feel like its going to spin out if you make course correction at those speeds like you would at most any track environment. Tire construction is crucial on this car for proper handling. You need to have a 2 ply sidewall, and firmer the better. Sidewall deflection amount along with alignment is the biggest factor in the handling of this car. If your lowered too much on the kw and riding on the bump stops, that can be working against you as well. There are more inertial forces at play on chassis when at those speeds.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:57 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Have the alignment checked again and make sure they didn't leave a rear toe bolt loose.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Did you change your tires since stock suspension as well? What tires are you on now? Alignment looks good pretty good, but a little less camber in the rear wouldn't hurt if possible. -2 would be good. This isn't the most stable car at those speeds even if everything is correct. Its a short wheel base car. But it should still not feel like its going to spin out if you make course correction at those speeds like you would at most any track environment. Tire construction is crucial on this car for proper handling. You need to have a 2 ply sidewall, and firmer the better. Sidewall deflection amount along with alignment is the biggest factor in the handling of this car. If your lowered too much on the kw and riding on the bump stops, that can be working against you as well. There are more inertial forces at play on chassis when at those speeds.
The tires I'm running now are Nitto NT555 G2, maybe i overreacted a little it just starts to swerve a little side to side even if I'm holding the steering wheel straight. I'm running 40-42PSI on all tires. The KW's can still go a lot lower but i wouldn't know if I'm riding on the bump stops or not but i don't think i am. I know this car was intended for track but i never really track the car, i do take curves a little fast here and there but I more worried about straight line performance. As far as me lowering the camber to -2 ill see if i can try to do that without rubbing because I'm already running 18x9 and 255's in the back. This suspension set up is just very stiff all around i can literally put my hands on the car in the back and try to bounce it and it wont go up and down at all. Do i need to buy anti bump steer kit or axle shaft spacers, if i need to purchase anything that would help me in a straight line i wouldn't mind, anything except for a big wing.

Last edited by kenneth_1010; 11-16-2016 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-16-2016, 12:53 PM

Received 345 Likes on 322 Posts

40-42 psi seems very high, running on inner tyre too much with that amount of camber,
lower and re test for an improvement 32-34
Old 11-16-2016, 12:58 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Lower pressures to 32 cold. If that doesn't get you there, reduce rear camber to -1.5. You didn't say what measurement type you're using for toe. If it's degrees, you're running very little rear toe-in and that will make the car less stable.

And lastly, the stock S2000 has rear aero lift, so the faster you go the less rear grip you'll have available.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by thomsbrain
Lower pressures to 32 cold. If that doesn't get you there, reduce rear camber to -1.5. You didn't say what measurement type you're using for toe. If it's degrees, you're running very little rear toe-in and that will make the car less stable.

And lastly, the stock S2000 has rear aero lift, so the faster you go the less rear grip you'll have available.

I'll lower the tire pressure to 32PSI and see how that goes, if not I'll see if I can lower camber to -2 in the rear, as far as toe I'm running 0.08 degrees on each side which leads to 0.16 total toe, how much total toe should I run in the rear?
Old 11-16-2016, 03:17 PM

Received 3,371 Likes on 2,450 Posts

I assume you meant rear camber is -2.7 correct ?, seems a bit high to me but the instability must be toe related. You have .16 total rear toe in , make sure it wasn't done as toe out. I would have a shop double check your settings in case something loosened up. Running a bit more rear toe in can give you more stability on the street.

Quick Reply: unstable at high speeds