S2000 CR Club Racer Edition CR stands for "club racer," conjuring up the good old days when guys drove their sports cars to the track, raced them, and then, if the racing gods were smiling, drove them home again

I Did It!

Old 12-04-2016, 08:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point
Might be 1 of 6.............. Haven't been able to confirm this though.
Hi Steven,

Why do you say 1 of 6? I had heard one was salvaged, is there another?
Old 12-04-2016, 09:18 AM

A few more pics from pick up day:

IMG_0292 by Joseph Konis, on Flickr

IMG_0295 by Joseph Konis, on Flickr

IMG_0298 by Joseph Konis, on Flickr
Old 12-04-2016, 05:26 PM

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jbkonis
Now that the car is here, and it's settled at my mechanic's shop, here's what we're doing:
  • Adjustment of valve clearances.
  • Replace the clutch slave cylinder with an AP1 cylinder, part number is 46930-S2A-003.
  • Replace flywheel with AP1 lighter OEM flywheel. Part number 22100-PCX-005.
  • Clean or replace oil pan (oil pan had a heating pad attached to it). If it’s too much work to clean, we'll replace it with this: Mugen Oil Pan - AP1/F20C, AP2/F22C 11200-XGS-0000 - King Motorsports Unlimited, Inc.
  • Replace all fluids as follows:
    • Engine oil - Motul 8100 5W40
    • Transmission - Motul Gear 300 75W90
    • Differential - Motul Gear 300 75W90
    • Brake and clutch - Castrol SRF
    • Coolant - Honda Type 2
  • Check condition of brakes… I think they should be fine, but pads may be worn. Not sure about rotors.
  • Replace any corroded bolts, clamps, brackets, etc… Anything rusted, replace.
  • If the radiator is bruised by rocks, let’s replace it. It has plastic tanks, and they don’t age too well.
  • If the radiator hoses and others look like they’ve been weathered, replace.
Once this is all done, it's going to undergo a Pebble Beach level detail for 2-3 days, parked in a secured garage, covered, and put to bed.

Looking forward having this thing in the condition it needs to be in!

Thanks for all the positive comments. I do feel great having found this car, and hope to keep it, and take care of it for a very long time.
Please take some pictures of her before putting her to bed.

Also:

1) Why are you replacing the clutch slave cylinder and flywheel with so low mileage?
2) Why are you replacing these components with AP1 versions?
Old 12-04-2016, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

soo jelly!! where and how you find this white diamond!!
Old 12-04-2016, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by skafia
Please take some pictures of her before putting her to bed.

Also:

1) Why are you replacing the clutch slave cylinder and flywheel with so low mileage?
2) Why are you replacing these components with AP1 versions?
If you ever drive an AP1 and AP2 back to back, you will immediately know why.

In an attempt to stop people from blowing diffs with 9K clutch drops, Honda put a delay valve in the AP2 slave cylinder. It makes clutch engagement very inconsistent, and hard to modulate. Makes almost impossible to do consistent rev-matching.

The flywheel was made heavier to reduce NVH, and make shifting easier as revs drop slower in between gears. Problem is it makes revving up in gear slower, and makes the engine feel more lethargic. In addition, if you shift quick enough on a red line up shift, your clutch will slip, as Honda didn't strengthen the clutch pressure plate to handle the extra inertia of the heavier flywheel.

These two factors introduced a certain sense of lag in to the drive train, and caused a numbing of the platform. All done to reduce warranty claims resulting from stupid behavior, and appease the crowd that wanted the S2000 to be more "moderate".
Old 12-05-2016, 04:26 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Regarding the number of GPW deletes, there are three GPW deletes unaccounted for (ownership wise) on the delete registry. Besides the one which was most definately destroyed I heard another either was involved in a track incident and heavily damaged or was so heavily modified so as to be nearly impossible to return to stock. In both cases I haven't been able to verify either story.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:48 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jbkonis
If you ever drive an AP1 and AP2 back to back, you will immediately know why.

In an attempt to stop people from blowing diffs with 9K clutch drops, Honda put a delay valve in the AP2 slave cylinder. It makes clutch engagement very inconsistent, and hard to modulate. Makes almost impossible to do consistent rev-matching.

The flywheel was made heavier to reduce NVH, and make shifting easier as revs drop slower in between gears. Problem is it makes revving up in gear slower, and makes the engine feel more lethargic. In addition, if you shift quick enough on a red line up shift, your clutch will slip, as Honda didn't strengthen the clutch pressure plate to handle the extra inertia of the heavier flywheel.

These two factors introduced a certain sense of lag in to the drive train, and caused a numbing of the platform. All done to reduce warranty claims resulting from stupid behavior, and appease the crowd that wanted the S2000 to be more "moderate".
This is all true, but it's ultimately a 4-digit mile 1 of 8 (or 7, or 6) white CR delete. For posterity's sake, it's best left stock, IMHO!
Old 12-06-2016, 12:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What a find.

I think you might also need the AP1 slave line if you plan to use the AP1 slave.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:24 PM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by SW2 Tuning
This is all true, but it's ultimately a 4-digit mile 1 of 8 (or 7, or 6) white CR delete. For posterity's sake, it's best left stock, IMHO!
Anyone can put those things back to stock, it seems the OP actually wants to enjoy the car...which is a much better fate for it to see than to never see 8k+ again in the hands of some goober.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
Anyone can put those things back to stock, it seems the OP actually wants to enjoy the car...which is a much better fate for it to see than to never see 8k+ again in the hands of some goober.
Exactly. I'm not modifying the car... Just putting better version of OEM parts. They only changed them in the first place for all the wrong reasons.

I don't expect to driver the car more than 100-200 miles a year, but I want to enjoy those miles. Cars that are driven from time to time tend to survive long periods better.

Quick Reply: I Did It!