S2000 CR Club Racer Edition CR stands for "club racer," conjuring up the good old days when guys drove their sports cars to the track, raced them, and then, if the racing gods were smiling, drove them home again

Outdoor hail proof car cover?

Old 07-21-2016, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outdoor hail proof car cover?

Hey guys, unfortunately I have to keep my new cr outdoors. It will be stored in the winters but I am worried about hail damage in the summers. So I'm looking for a nice thick padded car cover. Anyone recommend any brands?
Old 07-21-2016, 06:46 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Depending on your particular situation a portable car shelter might be your best option. I cannot think of any car cover that is thick enough to provide against hail.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:15 PM

Received 1,555 Likes on 924 Posts

I was caught at a cabin in the Sierras when a large thunderstorm brought hail. We had some construction going on so I put 2 huge pieces of plywood on the top of our MDX. A little of the hood was still exposed so I put some towels on the hood and covered with more plywood. It was one hell of a hail storm; there is no doubt in my mind our car would have been damaged.

Why do mention this? Wood is pretty good against hail compared to a soft cover. It may look ghetto but you might want to build a simple car port or at least reinforce a portable shelter with a wood top. Even some of the metal and fiberglass panels would look okay; you can find them at big box stores.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
I was caught at a cabin in the Sierras when a large thunderstorm brought hail. We had some construction going on so I put 2 huge pieces of plywood on the top of our MDX. A little of the hood was still exposed so I put some towels on the hood and covered with more plywood. It was one hell of a hail storm; there is no doubt in my mind our car would have been damaged.

Why do mention this? Wood is pretty good against hail compared to a soft cover. It may look ghetto but you might want to build a simple car port or at least reinforce a portable shelter with a wood top. Even some of the metal and fiberglass panels would look okay; you can find them at big box stores.
Thanks for the reply. making something myself is an option. I would have to check with the city to see if that's aloud on my driveway. assuming beggars can be choosers, I would like something that isn't an eye sore. and also portable and can be put away if need be. Also a home made shelter would need to be strong and heavy enough not to fly away or break down with harsh winds that so often come with hail storms. I Was thinking more of a home made car cover with some thick ass quilted blankets and maybe a tarp. sow them together and hold it on the car with bungie cords underneath. should protect from anything short of baseball sized hail. I think in the Chicago land area the worst I've ever seen is golf ball sized.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:21 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Trying to piss off your neighbors with an eyesore in your driveway? They'll drop a dime on you in an instant -- assuming you're not living in urban renewal property. Unless you're a weather prediction god and you're living in Hell Hail City the car will need protection any time it clouds up. I've never had hail damage a car so unless hail is common in your area the risk is low to nil.

Parking an S2000 in the driveway in a metro-region like Chicago (or Cleveland where I am) probably has much higher risk of theft than anything else. I won't do it. Hail damage is way toward the bottom of my worry list. In Chicago I'd worry more about bullet holes.

-- Chuck
Old 07-22-2016, 06:42 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

An aluminum carport might be the best option, unless your local building codes forbid them. They can be erected easily using nothing but a drill, a sledge hammer, measuring tape and maybe a friend or two. Your budget will determine the best option. These will offer shade as well as protection from snow and hail.

They can range from basic:

http://www.lowes.com/pl/Carports-pat...ors/4294612513

To something more designer:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/gray-br...006394&veh=sem