S2000 CR Club Racer Edition CR stands for "club racer," conjuring up the good old days when guys drove their sports cars to the track, raced them, and then, if the racing gods were smiling, drove them home again

Powder coat match for CR wheels

Old 02-03-2017, 12:19 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Powder coat match for CR wheels

Has anyone figured out a powder coat match for the OEM CR wheels? I'm having mine refinished and every sample I have compared is not an exact match. I know the color is Kaiser Silver but that doesn't really help for matching with powder coat.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd be interested to know this as wheel. I bought a set of Cr rims this winter and went to fix some minor curb rash. I didn't think it would be difficult to get matching paint. I bought some Nh-546M and the color didn't match very good and it was full of metal flake. I don't know if it was the people that mixed the paint or what but I need to find another option. At this point I have debated just getting the two wheels powder coated again.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:27 PM

I have talked to a number of local painters and powder coaters along with searching the internet. I can't find anyone that knows what the perfect powder coat match is. So many different powders out there. I might just go with something as close as I can match from the sample.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:08 PM

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

What would be the advantage of powder coating them vs repainting in OEM Kaiser Silver?
Old 02-07-2017, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I powder coated my wheels a color called gunmetal gray. Powder coating is way harder than paint, making the wheels more difficult to scratch. Comparing powder coating to paint isn't really possible, they are different. I'm not a painter or coater, so I can't describe the difference very well, but I like the powder coating a lot better than the paint. The wheels look a lot better in the sunlight.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:31 AM

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts

How about having the wheels painted kaiser silver followed by a clear powder coat?
Old 02-07-2017, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by #172CR
What would be the advantage of powder coating them vs repainting in OEM Kaiser Silver?
I talked to a number of local wheel repair guys. They all were shying away from painting. Mostly because the paint has a tendency to run especially when trying to get in small spaces such as the lug nut holes. I think it could be done by an experienced painter that is willing to take the time to do it right. Unfortunately I couldn't find anyone like that.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Orjinal
How about having the wheels painted kaiser silver followed by a clear powder coat?
Wouldn't the paint melt or burn when they go to cook the powder coat?
Old 02-07-2017, 03:54 PM

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by ClemsonWill
Wouldn't the paint melt or burn when they go to cook the powder coat?
I don't know. Perhaps a powder coater would know that best.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Orjinal
I don't know. Perhaps a powder coater would know that best.
Well that was my understanding. They cook the powder coat at like 350 degrees for an extended period of time.

Still looking for anyone that might know the powder coat brand or color for CR wheels? Even something close would be awesome. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Powder coat match for CR wheels