S2000 CR Club Racer Edition CR stands for "club racer," conjuring up the good old days when guys drove their sports cars to the track, raced them, and then, if the racing gods were smiling, drove them home again

S2000 CR potential purchase - asking for opinion

Old 01-17-2017, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 CR potential purchase - asking for opinion

Hi,

I currently own a 2003 Silverstone S2000. I purchased it in 2006 from a friend. Today, it has approximately 30k miles. I intended to keep this car for a long time. The car is garage kept, driven about 75 miles monthly, and maintained once a year.

I've been saving up for the upcoming 2018 Civic Type R. This is the problem. I saw a S2000 CR in real life and fell in love with it. After doing a lot of research, I feel that if I am going to collect a S2000, it should be a CR.

For the last month, I’ve been looking for a CR in excellent and original condition. They are not hard to find yet. I see good ones being sold for around $35000.

This is the back and forth debate. Part of me tells me that it's a waste of money and I already own a clean and good condition S2000. The other part of me wants to get the S2000 CR. It is my favorite car ever made. If I keep and collect my 2003 model, I plan to get some spare parts, do a mini restoration (replace the valve retainer, fix a couple of dents, replace the worn convertible top…etc.), and purchase a hardtop. The total cost is around $8000-10000. If I purchase the CR, I would be spending all the money I’ve saved up for the Civic Type R on a 9 years old used S2000. But it will be a rare and awesome CR. I cannot make up my mind.

Truthfully, I am satisfied that I already own a S2000. The desire to own a CR doesn’t make rational sense. I may be influenced by its rarity and future collector’s value. So, I’m asking you CR owners for your opinion.
  • If you were in my situation, what would you do? I will definitely get a biased response because you all are S2000 CR owners.
  • Why did or didn’t you buy a CR?
Thanks guys!
Old 01-17-2017, 08:42 PM

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

It depends on what you will use the s2000 for. You will likely have more fun with your AP1, being less expensive for sprited adventures (track events, long trips etc.). If you buy the CR, drive it! I never met an owner who regretted driving a car too much, but I have met those who wish they had driven them more. Rather than a civic type r, your money is in a much better place in a CR or AP1. If you get the CR, hold on to it and test drive the type r, then decide. By that time, CRs will be even more expensive. I doubt you will sell your CR for a fwd civic type r. good luck !
Old 01-18-2017, 07:00 AM

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Ultimately this is a decision you'll have to answer for yourself, but here's my perspective...

I used to own an '05 Silverstone S2K, I sold it to buy a home at the time and later when I was in a position to buy another S, I picked up my CR. I did not intend to buy a CR, but found one in my search for a new S2K that I was pleased with (low mileage, great condition, no accidents, etc), so I went the CR route. I love my CR with all my heart and have no plans to ever sell it, I regretted selling my first S2K and won't make that mistake again. I understand that it's a special model of the S, more rare, more desirable in many ways, but there is something to be said about what you own already. You have the last year for the AP1 which is cool in and of itself... and, while I don't know how important this is to you since you mentioned buying a hardtop for it, you have a soft top. I can't tell you how often I wish I still had a soft top in my S2K. I don't have the luxury of being able to go top up/down on the fly as I wish, it is such an "event" now to check the weather and make sure it's going to be clear, get my wife or a friend to help me take the top off (I need to get a hoist system), and make sure I'll be parking it in places I'm comfortable with while I'm out since I am (admittedly) overly paranoid about the car. Maybe it's not a concern for you though, but to me the S2K is best enjoyed with the top off. It's not a big enough deal that I would ever sell it for a base model, but something of a sticking point nonetheless.

I'm sure you're well versed with all the CR differences vs. a base model... there's nothing you couldn't do to yours to make it feel just as good, if not better, as a stock CR. It also sounds like you're plenty content with what you already have. Long story short, if you are asking for a straight up answer from me: I say keep what you have and continue to care for it and enjoy it. The CR is a special car, sure, but so is your 2003... the S2000 in general is a special car. Best of luck to you, if you have any other questions, holler.

Side note: I'm planning on purchasing a Civic Type-R to park along side my CR either later this year or early next year, champ white of course
Old 01-18-2017, 07:34 AM

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Seems like you really enjoy your 2003 and if you were to buy a low mileage pristine CR, you would not enjoy it in that way. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy mine, but the occasional startup and weekend drive around the block is good enough for me

Originally Posted by FurY
Ultimately this is a decision you'll have to answer for yourself, but here's my perspective...

I used to own an '05 Silverstone S2K, I sold it to buy a home at the time and later when I was in a position to buy another S, I picked up my CR. I did not intend to buy a CR, but found one in my search for a new S2K that I was pleased with (low mileage, great condition, no accidents, etc), so I went the CR route. I love my CR with all my heart and have no plans to ever sell it, I regretted selling my first S2K and won't make that mistake again. I understand that it's a special model of the S, more rare, more desirable in many ways, but there is something to be said about what you own already. You have the last year for the AP1 which is cool in and of itself... and, while I don't know how important this is to you since you mentioned buying a hardtop for it, you have a soft top. I can't tell you how often I wish I still had a soft top in my S2K. I don't have the luxury of being able to go top up/down on the fly as I wish, it is such an "event" now to check the weather and make sure it's going to be clear, get my wife or a friend to help me take the top off (I need to get a hoist system), and make sure I'll be parking it in places I'm comfortable with while I'm out since I am (admittedly) overly paranoid about the car. Maybe it's not a concern for you though, but to me the S2K is best enjoyed with the top off. It's not a big enough deal that I would ever sell it for a base model, but something of a sticking point nonetheless.

I'm sure you're well versed with all the CR differences vs. a base model... there's nothing you couldn't do to yours to make it feel just as good, if not better, as a stock CR. It also sounds like you're plenty content with what you already have. Long story short, if you are asking for a straight up answer from me: I say keep what you have and continue to care for it and enjoy it. The CR is a special car, sure, but so is your 2003... the S2000 in general is a special car. Best of luck to you, if you have any other questions, holler.

Side note: I'm planning on purchasing a Civic Type-R to park along side my CR either later this year or early next year, champ white of course
Great post! I'm also looking into getting a Civic Type R, do we have an official release date yet? I also wouldn't park it next to a GPW, it'll make the CW look dirty :P
Old 01-18-2017, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by skafia
Great post! I'm also looking into getting a Civic Type R, do we have an official release date yet? I also wouldn't park it next to a GPW, it'll make the CW look dirty :P
I've been scouring the internet for information for months, the current info (speculation mind you) that I have is that we're going to get to see the official production version and get all information regarding specs, pricing, availability, etc at the Geneva Motor Show in March. So hopefully we're 2 months or less from knowing all the details
Old 01-18-2017, 09:25 PM

I've been scouring the internet for information for months, the current info (speculation mind you) that I have is that we're going to get to see the official production version and get all information regarding specs, pricing, availability, etc at the Geneva Motor Show in March. So hopefully we're 2 months or less from knowing all the details
Awesome, I'll keep a look out. Do you know what the production numbers will be like, and if they're numbered? Also, I'm sure you already have, but in case you haven't, there's a mailing list toward the bottom of this page for more information: The New Civic Type R | Honda
Old 01-20-2017, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by skafia
Awesome, I'll keep a look out. Do you know what the production numbers will be like, and if they're numbered? Also, I'm sure you already have, but in case you haven't, there's a mailing list toward the bottom of this page for more information: The New Civic Type R Honda
I haven't seen any information regarding production numbers, but I do know there is a plaque just underneath the shift lever that displays the serial/production # of the car (tried to find a pic online for you but couldn't locate anything, there are some Youtube vids online that if you pause at the right time when they're panning the interior, you'll see what I'm talking about). Thanks for the mailing list link!
Old 01-20-2017, 05:58 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

With the way you use your S (<1000 miles a year), there is more long term financial upside if you bought a very low mileage CR.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:28 PM

I haven't seen any information regarding production numbers, but I do know there is a plaque just underneath the shift lever that displays the serial/production # of the car (tried to find a pic online for you but couldn't locate anything, there are some Youtube vids online that if you pause at the right time when they're panning the interior, you'll see what I'm talking about). Thanks for the mailing list link!
S2000 CR potential purchase - asking for opinion-tzs6yig.png

Yes, you're right! This is good news as I think one of the pitfalls of the CR is that it isn't numbered. That stupid little number means a lot to collectors. Edit: I also hope they have a raw model with zero amenities.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:43 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

This was offered some time back for those wanting a build number plaque.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-cr...r-now-1093115/

Last edited by #172CR; 01-25-2017 at 06:20 PM.