S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Dash Camera Hard Wired DIY

Old 01-24-2016, 04:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dash Camera Hard Wired DIY

I couldn't find any DIYs for hard-wiring a dash cam to somewhere other than the fuse box under the steering column, so I've made this DIY as an alternative to that method.

Installed in a 2004 AP2. Not sure if AP1 aux plug wiring is different.

Cam Model: BlackVue DR650GW-2CH

** UPDATE: The photos are taking way too long to re-link individually, so I'll just share the whole album. Maybe I'll re-do step-by-step with photos but for now they're all here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6fWYn4CGw3vQLZTr9

Location of front camera.

First step remove the passenger chair to give you room to work and remove panel behind the chair.

The corrugated tube with the white wire popping out contains the aux plug wiring (see wiring below).

Remove the panel under the passenger side dash and kick panel. Fish the cable up through the dash to the bottom of the windshield pillar.

Cable routing around front windshield trim - just pushed under trip with plastic tool.

Zap-strap the cable under the dash and through the kick panel. Run Under center console trim.

I cut off the aux plug connector, this dash cam has an in-line fuse so the fuse inside the connector is not required. However if your model doesn't have one I'd recommend you install a fuse-holder and install the same amperage fuse.

Expose the wiring to the plug, solder the wires, tape, and tuck back into corrugated tubing.

Put all the panels back together and the chair in and you're all done. The other cable in the last photo is for the rear camera, the front cam wiring isn't visible at all until it leaves the windshield trim to attach to the cam.

The rear camera won't capture license plate numbers but the quality is pretty crap anyway, at least you'll have proof of getting rear-ended and the color of the car.

If you have any questions ask away, I probably left out a few details. Happy Driving.

Last edited by SneakyS2K; 07-17-2018 at 10:05 PM. Reason: UPDATE: Re-uploaded photos
Old 01-24-2016, 05:55 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Great writeup! Just finished dash cam installs on all the other cars in my fleet- still deciding on if I should do the same with the s2000.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:16 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Hi Sneaky, Welcome to the board, come visit us in the Vancouver forum!
Old 04-09-2016, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing! I realize this thread is a couple months old already, but I am also interested in installing dash cam(s) in my S. Care to share the location of your rear dash cam? I'm stuck on getting a 2 channel cam as well, just have no idea where I would install the rear cam, with a soft top.

Did you opt for the power magic pro add on? How's the blackvue holding up?
I've heard some mixed reviews on this cam, mostly great things, but I've also seen a fair share of negative reviews as well.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Liao
Thanks for sharing! I realize this thread is a couple months old already, but I am also interested in installing dash cam(s) in my S. Care to share the location of your rear dash cam? I'm stuck on getting a 2 channel cam as well, just have no idea where I would install the rear cam, with a soft top.

Did you opt for the power magic pro add on? How's the blackvue holding up?
I've heard some mixed reviews on this cam, mostly great things, but I've also seen a fair share of negative reviews as well.
I've installed the rear camera on the top edge of the wind deflector glass between the seats, to be honest it isn't great, I plan to move it in the future. With the top down it's fine, however with the top up bottom half of the video is cut off, only showing the top of the car behind me, not ideal. If someone rear ended me I would see their car, but likely not a low license plate.

I did not opt for magic pro, I like the idea of it but park-mode wasn't something that interested me, seeing most of the time the S is stored in my garage. The BlackVue is great, zero issues so far and the new firmware/app they released is much more refined. Only pet peeve is I can't find where to disable speed on video footage in the new app, the old app it was easy to turn on/off. Also nice they support up to 64Gb micro SD's.

Happy Driving.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:17 PM

I also put a lot of thought into a rear cam mounting location and couldnt come up with anything really practical.

If you dont mind, please keep this thread updated on your new mounting location of the rear cam. I figure if there isnt a good mounting point, maybe i should just settle for a single channel set up.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:35 AM
Community Organizer

I just saw a video of a non-s2k setup where the reverse cam was mounted on the top right corner of the windshield and facing back into the car. Not sure how much you can capture out the back of the soft top window though.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by alSpeed2k
I just saw a video of a non-s2k setup where the reverse cam was mounted on the top right corner of the windshield and facing back into the car. Not sure how much you can capture out the back of the soft top window though.
I haven't really closely examined how the soft top folds down /w regards to the rear window, but I'd be a little worried about the cam and the wiring in transition to top up/down?
Old 04-16-2016, 04:41 PM
Community Organizer

^I'm referring to the "front" fixed windshield.
Old 03-04-2017, 04:09 PM

Cool UPDATE

I've added the rear mounting location, it's not great but it was the easiest / best solution I could come up with.

Sorry for the long delay getting the post updated. Happy Spring!

Quick Reply: Dash Camera Hard Wired DIY