S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Car radio/volume buttons on dashboard stopped working

Old 07-10-2022, 09:00 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Car radio/volume buttons on dashboard stopped working

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know why the volume buttons and car stereo buttons on dashboard near the steering wheel have stopped working, I haven't got a clue where the fuse would be, with luck that is the problem, none of the buttons are working. Does anyone know what I could do to troubleshoot.

Many Thanks

Tobes
Old 07-11-2022, 02:53 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

OEM radio? LEDs working on that side?

-- Chuck
Old 07-11-2022, 05:49 AM

Hi Chuck,

Thanks kindly for your reply, I just went and took a couple of photos and ironically found another load of fuses under the steering wheel. lol, Ive attached a couple of pics, none of this buttons apart from the start button work, any idea what fuse they could be, I am guessing its a fuse issue, I hope so would be easy to fix.

Yeh its an OEM radio, still working fine. Thanks for your advice

Btw while I have you here chuck, you wouldn't be able to advise on the fuse I am looking for in this thread: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ta...ights-1213069/

Could it be running light, or small light. Yes I know I should just go pull one out and see lol, didn't realise there was more fuses hidden until just now... ooooooops its my dads car who sadly passed away and lucky me left me his car which I will cherish for life.

Cheers

Old 07-11-2022, 06:42 AM

Received 118 Likes on 81 Posts

reach up through the back and see if you feel the plug properly in. there are two back there, one for the start and one for the dash controls.

if your hand doesnt fit stick your phone under the dash with the flash light on and snap a pic.
Old 07-11-2022, 07:02 AM

Hey Nice one, wow what a hard place to access, talk about a neck breaker lol

Anyway, got up there, plug is firmly in place, could it be a fuse?

TIA
Old 07-11-2022, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by TobesVibration
Hey Nice one, wow what a hard place to access, talk about a neck breaker lol

Anyway, got up there, plug is firmly in place, could it be a fuse?

TIA
I Believe the only button that uses 12v is the mute . The others use a ground and resistance.

If the mute led doesn't light and the backlighting for all the buttons does not work when the lights are on(and dimmer turned up) then I'd be checking the ground.

Are the radio controls the only thing not working?
Old 07-11-2022, 10:04 AM

Received 1,555 Likes on 924 Posts

Stock radio? If not, the wiring in the back has come undone.
Old 07-11-2022, 11:01 AM

Received 107 Likes on 102 Posts

As with any electronics (home, computer, audio, music studio, car)... "re-seat" the plug a few times first. This will scratch off any corrosion. If that doesn't fix it, check fuses. If that doesn't work, then it'll be a deeper problem.
Old 07-11-2022, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by spider2k
I Believe the only button that uses 12v is the mute . The others use a ground and resistance.

If the mute led doesn't light and the backlighting for all the buttons does not work when the lights are on(and dimmer turned up) then I'd be checking the ground.

Are the radio controls the only thing not working?
Ok, so looks like all the back lighting is working and the led came on when I clicked mute, not one of the controllers or buttons work the car stereo ?

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
Stock radio? If not, the wiring in the back has come undone.
Pic below, is it Stock? Either way Is it easy to remove, I was wondering the same as you! Thanks

Originally Posted by Jah2000
As with any electronics (home, computer, audio, music studio, car)... "re-seat" the plug a few times first. This will scratch off any corrosion. If that doesn't fix it, check fuses. If that doesn't work, then it'll be a deeper problem.
I can give this a go if I can get it out, nothing to lose, but wondering if cosmomiller is correct maybe its loose at the back of the stereo. Thanks for tip this will be next thing to try also

Thanks everyone

Tobes

Old 07-11-2022, 03:38 PM

Definitely not stock. The buttons are fine. Either the adapter behind the radio is bad, lost programming or was never there.

Quick Reply: Car radio/volume buttons on dashboard stopped working