S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Modular Screen Head Unit

Old 06-09-2022, 07:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Modular Screen Head Unit

Has anyone on here purchased/installed this head unit (Pioneer DMH-WC5700NEX)? The concept looks pretty nice, especially for our cars. Guts of the unit are single DIN and the screen can be placed anywhere.

According to Crutchfield the dimensions of the screen are (7.005" width x 3.945" height x 1.235" depth) so basically double DIN minus the depth. Given the smaller depth compared to a normal double DIN unit, this would probably sit nicely in the dash without having to cut vents, etc. I didn't see any mention of mounting size/pattern on the page but maybe it could even be mounted to the Modifry Dash Mount?
Old 06-09-2022, 07:49 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,594 Likes on 1,907 Posts

If the cable was long enough to run up to the modifry mount it would be really neat. Cable does look all that long in the pics though, only long enough to sit on the front of the unit.

Edit: Oooh, says there's an extension cable available. This might be a winner. $100 for the cable (out of stock).
Old 06-09-2022, 08:07 AM

Could be a good solution for less invasive dash cutting or the mount like you said. I've been curious to see this head unit in person or at least mounted with the screen separate. The pictures I've seen online are only of it mounted as a double din configuration.

I'm sure other stores have the unit and extension in stock. I just linked to Crutchfield because they had more useful data (i.e screen dimensions) than the actual Pioneer site
Old 06-09-2022, 08:32 AM
Site Moderator

Totally fine to use crutchfield for the link, they show prices so that's useful for sure.

I'm quite tempted to get this, my only worry is mounting the display on the modifry dash mount I currently have. I think a mount lower down may be better to keep the display lower and not so exposed, plus the back of the unit isn't finished off too well.
Old 06-09-2022, 08:36 AM

I would be very curious to see this on a Modifry mount. Agreed, the back of the display leaves a lot to be desired. Built to be modular but not pretty I guess. Seems like it's possible to run 2 cameras on this unit as well which is a nice feature.

Something like this would be cool too if it was fit to size.
Old 06-09-2022, 08:46 AM
Site Moderator

I'm thinking a piece of ABS mounted to the back of the display to clean it up, and then use a sticky back type phone mount to put it on the modifry dash mount. Or even a ball mount so it could be movable to help against glare etc. Screen is big though, so a bit of tweaking to the mount will be needed somehow.
Old 06-09-2022, 08:51 AM

In for pics if you make it happen! Too bad they don't make a model that's got a smaller screen.
Old 06-09-2022, 07:23 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

What about mounting it where a dash cut/bezel would go, but externally, without cutting. 3d print a mount that matches dash contour. Double sided tapes to dash or something.

I've seen some factory screens mounted this sorta way. Like an after thought to an existing design, as opposed to something designed around the screen.
Old 06-16-2022, 06:13 AM

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

shoot if the screen were a little larger I'd consider it, currently have a Alpine iLX-407 in the dash nav bracket which has a 7" screen vs this thing with a 6.78".

Definitely looks like a good option for folks who don't want to go through the work and dash cutting to go that route since you could just mount it all with removable sticky tape or something on the outside.
Old 06-16-2022, 06:34 AM
Site Moderator

Yeah, that .22" is gonna make a massive difference. :/

No chance in hell I'm cutting my dash. I don't like how far away from the driver the screen is with the JDM style bezel or home made ones. The screen ends up more on the passenger side and even points that way because of the curve of the dash.

This Pioneer unit is really tempting, just wish I could figure out a way of putting the screen in a decent place without making any permanent modifications to the car/dash.

Quick Reply: Modular Screen Head Unit