S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

sound deadening

Old 07-01-2005, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up sound deadening

I've read in here about people using Dynamat and quiet coat to quiet their interiors. It sounded as if this was being done because of the drone from aftermarket exhausts. Will a factory setup benefit from doing this sound deadening? Will it make it the factory stereo easier to hear?
Old 07-01-2005, 09:42 AM

adding any kind of sound deadening will always make any car quieter. It is just another layer of insulation. You need to find the hot spots on the car that emit the most noise. There was a whole thread on someone who did this with quiet coat (or something like that) to his interior and it supposedly helped a lot.

The BIG noise maker on our cars (stock) is wind noise throught the soft top. Depending on the year of your car, you may be hearing clutch buzz. This can be remedied by replacing the clutch with the updated one. Clutch buzz, I think, was only present in 00-01 cars.

john
Old 07-01-2005, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by jwa4378,Jul 1 2005, 01:42 PM
adding any kind of sound deadening will always make any car quieter. It is just another layer of insulation. You need to find the hot spots on the car that emit the most noise. There was a whole thread on someone who did this with quiet coat (or something like that) to his interior and it supposedly helped a lot.

The BIG noise maker on our cars (stock) is wind noise throught the soft top. Depending on the year of your car, you may be hearing clutch buzz. This can be remedied by replacing the clutch with the updated one. Clutch buzz, I think, was only present in 00-01 cars.

john
Yeah I read that write up and it was very good. I just wanted to know if someone had done it to a bone stock car with bone stock radio and speakers.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:29 PM

I dont know. But if you ARE looking to kill some sound, it will kill some regardless. If you are soundproofing the interior, you should put some on the transmission tunnel. I talked to a Honda tech who said the two main causes of cabin noise in the S is the transmission (because it is mounted right in between the two seats instead of in the rear portion of the engine bay. The engine was scooted back behind the front axle for maximum balance.) and the leading edge of the soft top. I have heard that the hard top is noticable quieter, especially with the strikes appled.

If the noise you are talking about is coming on deceleration with the car in gear and above 3k RPM that is clutch buzz. If you have a MY00-01 and have not had the clutch changed, this is most likely the source of the problems.

Getting an aftermarket stereo will be easier than sound proofing the interior. The stock HU only pushes like 7WRMS. Aftermarket ones are around 17-25WRMS (double the power). The stock speakers are also flimsy paper cones (accurate but not loud at all). If you replace the HU and the front speakers, it should me a WORLD of difference. I am doing this next week.

John
Old 07-01-2005, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by jwa4378,Jul 1 2005, 04:29 PM
I dont know. But if you ARE looking to kill some sound, it will kill some regardless. If you are soundproofing the interior, you should put some on the transmission tunnel. I talked to a Honda tech who said the two main causes of cabin noise in the S is the transmission (because it is mounted right in between the two seats instead of in the rear portion of the engine bay. The engine was scooted back behind the front axle for maximum balance.) and the leading edge of the soft top. I have heard that the hard top is noticable quieter, especially with the strikes appled.

If the noise you are talking about is coming on deceleration with the car in gear and above 3k RPM that is clutch buzz. If you have a MY00-01 and have not had the clutch changed, this is most likely the source of the problems.

Getting an aftermarket stereo will be easier than sound proofing the interior. The stock HU only pushes like 7WRMS. Aftermarket ones are around 17-25WRMS (double the power). The stock speakers are also flimsy paper cones (accurate but not loud at all). If you replace the HU and the front speakers, it should me a WORLD of difference. I am doing this next week.

John
I appreciate your feedback. I used to have a really nice after market setup at one time, but switched it over to my civic sense I spend more time in it. If this sound deadening does cut down on noise significantly then certainly when I finally get around to installing another aftermarket system it will make that one that much better. The noise I'm talking about is road noise. I have a MY04 and don't seem to have any of these mechanical noise issues found in earlier models. One correction to your statement. The factory door speakers are actually made out of some decent material, some sort of translucent blue with a foam surround.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:13 PM

translucent blue? Sound like Blaupunkt tsC series. The HU still is not good, though. Good luck with deadening.

John
Old 07-03-2005, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by jwa4378,Jul 1 2005, 09:13 PM
translucent blue? Sound like Blaupunkt tsC series. The HU still is not good, though. Good luck with deadening.

John
Exactly what I thought! Thanks
Old 07-03-2005, 07:16 PM

The MY04+ are made out of a plastic and sound pretty good with an aftermarket headunit. I don't think they are Blankpunkt tsC's however.

IMO if you've got a MY04+ and you don't have the cabbage or the want for a truly great set-up but you do want better sound, just get a new Headunit and keep your stock speakers. the change is pretty amazing actually.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:10 PM

[QUOTE=Willie Gee,Jul 3 2005, 07:16 PM] The MY04+ are made out of a plastic and sound pretty good with an aftermarket headunit. I don't think they are Blankpunkt tsC's however.

IMO if you've got a MY04+ and you don't have the cabbage or the want for a truly great set-up but you do want better sound, just get a new Headunit and keep your stock speakers.