S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Headunit Install Questions

Old 10-10-2016, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headunit Install Questions

Hi Everyone,

Recently joined S2Ki and have been doing research on installing a new head unit. I had been looking a a couple online and had planned to get a modifry DCI adapter, but this past week a couple of my buddies actually got me a new Kenwood - BTU386 head unit for my birthday. (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-SPrQQuF...DC-BT368U.html)

I'm looking into installing it this weekend, but had questions regarding the controls. I know that the head unit itself fits with the s2000, but they had also bought some sort of harness/adapter from the kenwood store and online from crutchfield it says it would allow all my normal controls, but I'm not too sure. This is what the part looks like: http://imgur.com/a/CBgXU

Does anyone know if this would work and I wouldn't need the DCI from Modifry or any issues that might arise? Thanks so much for your help guys!
Old 10-10-2016, 01:27 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I cant see the picture because imgur is blocked at my job, but the DCI from Modifry also has a PnP adapter which is very nice. The other one might work but might require splicing. But like i said i cant see the picture. I went with The Modifry DCI and it has been great.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:40 PM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by rodneyyar
Hi Everyone,

Recently joined S2Ki and have been doing research on installing a new head unit. I had been looking a a couple online and had planned to get a modifry DCI adapter, but this past week a couple of my buddies actually got me a new Kenwood - BTU386 head unit for my birthday. (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-SPrQQuF...DC-BT368U.html)

I'm looking into installing it this weekend, but had questions regarding the controls. I know that the head unit itself fits with the s2000, but they had also bought some sort of harness/adapter from the kenwood store and online from crutchfield it says it would allow all my normal controls, but I'm not too sure. This is what the part looks like: http://imgur.com/a/CBgXU

Does anyone know if this would work and I wouldn't need the DCI from Modifry or any issues that might arise? Thanks so much for your help guys!
You can't really tell anything from that photo. Without a brand/part number to verify against with others that may have installed using something other than a Modifry unit, no idea on the functionality.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, thanks for the responses! Sorry I didn't realize my mistake, but I believe that the harness is a Metra 70-1721 — Wiring Harness and the steering wheel control is Metra ASWC-1 — Steering Wheel Control. Thanks again!
Old 10-10-2016, 02:53 PM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Cursory search of the forums seems to indicate that a few have used the Metra with success. Personally I have the Modifry DCI and have no complaints. If you already have it on hand, I would try the Metra unit first for the sake of expediency and saving money.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:02 PM

Received 1,551 Likes on 920 Posts

I really liked the Modifry unit. It just works. It is designed for just this car and setup. I cannot edit and capture just the picture but scroll down and you will see the picture of the wiring harness.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/115...#entry23973368
Old 10-11-2016, 08:37 AM
oth

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Per old posts the ASWC doesn't support the mute button, though I don't know if that's the same as the ASWC-1 or not. It should allow
control of the other dash switches, and a relay can be wired to provide the mute if the headunit supports a hardwired (TEL/mute) function.
Historically the Metra 70-1721 adapter harness (as well as other generic Honda harnesses) did not include the two S2000-specific dash switch
and mute wires, though this could have changed. If you don't have rear speakers, there are four unused wires/pins in the adapter harness
for rear speakers, and if necessary you can move them to the correct positions for the dash switch and mute wires.
The Modifry DCI and adapter harness, while more expensive, are custom for the S2000 and will work without jumping through hoops (and
provide some additional functionality such as speed-controlled volume) - some people prefer hassle free, others prefer less expensive.
Perhaps someone who has recently installed either the Metra harness or the ASWC-1 can comment on whether they have been updated
to allow full functionality and a straightforward installation.

Last edited by oth; 10-27-2016 at 05:01 AM. Reason: minor typos
Old 10-26-2016, 12:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have not tested the SWIC but I'd be surprised if it handled the S2K mute button. What's different about our mute is two things - first it puts out +12v when mute is on and secondly it is a separate wire from the rest of the controls. Most cars the mute, if it exists, is just another button in the same circuit as the other switches and it does not have voltage on it. I think the PAC products only handle one input signal source and that's why it doesn't work.

I can say that the Metra harness definitely does not have the two wires from the dash controls. You can swap wires to make it work, but unless you're familiar with the connectors it can be a pain to remove a wire and not booger it up. Might be easier just to t-tap the OEM wires, though most owners prefer to leave the OEM harness intact.

I am very surprised that Crutchfield would tell you the SWIC unit will give you the same functionality as OEM, they usually know better than that. OEM lets you do "next track" and "next radio preset" with the CH button. Using the SWIC you have to choose ONE of those functions, you can't do both because on all after-market head units they are different commands. It only works that way on the OEM radio because it was specifically designed to perform those 2 functions with the same command.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:46 AM
oth

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Found the actual Metra/Axxess ASWC-1 S2000 installation instructions, and they state "Note: The Mute button will no longer function."

Last edited by oth; 10-27-2016 at 05:51 AM.