S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

How-to adapt an aftermarket tweeter into

Old 01-13-2006, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How-to adapt an aftermarket tweeter into

Ok so I've had a few people ask me how I got my Alpine tweeters fit so nicely into the stock tweeter pod location of the model year 2002 and 2003 S2000.

Well this is a "How-To" of how I did it.

Please keep in mind that this may not work for every brand of aftermarket tweeter. I've done this quite a few times, and with many different brands but I haven't tried them all So some tweeters may require more work than others.

Tools:
1. Phillips head screwdriver
2. Dremel, with a small cutting wheel and more importantly sanding wheels
3. Drill with small drill bit (1/8")
4. Hammer (small one)
5. (2) Small nuts and screws

Once you take the door panel off Its just a couple of screws to remove the pod. Here are a few pictures:

Before:
Notice the stock grille. Well if install a tweeter behind it you end up with some tweeters having 2 grilles not just one... the problem with that, is the sound coming from the tweeter will now have to pass around 2 grilles not just one. This will limit the sound and dampen it. Not a lot or much of a big deal to some but to me... it just seams wrong.

The speakers I'm using for this "How-To" are Alpine SPX-177a's.

The Process:

Remove the door panel. Bring the door panel over to a table or a work bench so you can work on the door panel and pod. Once its removed you'll see that the tweeter and tweeter pod is held in place by 2 screws. Remove those screws and the tweeter and pod can be removed with ease. Once this its removed from the door, remove the tweeter from the silver backing plate. Keep the silver backing plate as you'll need it. Now your left with the pod itself. I've found the easiest way to remove that stock plastic grille, was to remove the large center potion with a cutting wheel,... just cut a square out of the middle of the grille. Once you've done that change the bit to the sanding wheel. Once you've done that, being to sand the stock out. Why do I use a sanding bit? Well I use it because it takes only a tiny bit off at a time, even if you leave it in one spot for a second to long. Slowly sand the leftover part of the grille. Using the aftermarket tweeter mounting cup continue to check the size of the hole. Remember sand a little and recheck with the cup... you can't put the sanded plastic back on the pod (Speaking of sanding the pod... if you have the speed on the Dremel tool up to high it will melt the plastic instead of sanding it... If it does its not a big deal but if that plastic hits your hand your going to know it so just watch your hands.)
Once you sand enough away your tweeter cup should fit tightly into the whole you've made. You should have to push it into place. It should be loose fitted. It should fit nice and tight. It should look like this:

Now you may or may not have to drill a small hole for for the mounting screw. If you do, drill the hole in the middle of the cup. Now grab the silver mounting back plate and hammer the little tab flat, so it looks like this:

Once that's done you can now put the tweeter pod back on the door and using the silver mounting plate mount and secure it to the door panel. So it looks like this:

Now all you have to do is mount your tweeters into the pod and wire it up. Most tweeters just push into these pods and hold themselves in.

The finished product looks like this:

If anyone has any question just let me know.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beautiful. It is so custom that it looks like stock.

Chris
2002 Spa Yellow
Old 01-18-2006, 06:20 AM

A have a set of component tweeters on order and plan to do a similar install to the one darkknight outlined above.

Because the weather is quite cold or warm in New Jersey. These days you don't know for sure. I don't plan on rewiring the door until the spring. So my short term plan is to add replace the stocker tweeters and use the existing wiring. Does anyone know where the capaciter for the stock tweeter is located? I did not see it on the wiring harness.

Thanks
Chris
Old 01-18-2006, 06:28 AM

It's on the tweeter itself Chris.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:52 PM

i need 02-03 oem tweeters , where can i buy them cheap ?
Old 03-25-2007, 06:48 AM

I have a set. PM me an offer for them.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:25 AM

Has anyone taken/bought the tweeter pods, and fabricated them to fit in an 00 door? I would really like to see how that turned out, and a write up would be amazing if possible.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:41 PM

In my car I have carbon fiber panels and I cut my pods into them. I just made a templet from the pod and cut a hole in the carbon panels, just like in the last picture.

Its pretty easy.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:36 PM

hm...its a bit hard for me to figure what is going in those pics. The installation seems easy enough...but i dont understand what that bracket is. What side of the door is that(is it just the panel)? Is that bracket what the tweeter is mounted to? with the tweeter facing outward? A bit confused.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:13 PM

where can i get that carbon fiber piece?

Quick Reply: How-to adapt an aftermarket tweeter into