S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

How to disable S2000 for security

Old 10-25-2016, 05:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question How to disable S2000 for security

I just picked up a beautiful AP2, and would really like to keep it. This being said - does anyone have any experience in installing a simple disabling switch in an AP2??

I'm hearing that the s2000's are becoming a theft target and want to be able to disable the car using a simple hidden switch under the dash or under the seat or ??

some years ago I had a '78 308 GTS in San Antonio, way too close to the Mexican border, and wanted to insure that it stayed where I parked it. There was a pressure switch under the driver's seat that disabled the fuel pump should the driver leave the seat, like in an accident. I installed a switch to break that circuit, and put it under the seat so that I could quickly and easily disable the car when leaving it parked.

This being said is there a convenient circuit, ignition, fuel pump or even the switch on the clutch pedal that would allow an easy disabling switch???

thanks much guys!
Old 10-26-2016, 12:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe I've been away from the forums for too long and missed something, but the S2000 has an electronic disable system - the car won't start unless a key that has been coded to the ECU is used. Has that changed? Other than bringing your own ECU and matching key is there a publically-known way to bypass the factory system? In my experience if they want the car they just tow it.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Disable Function is obviously enabled with a key but...

yes, I am aware of the obvious , however I've heard that folks are getting keys made using the VIN that's clearly visible from outside a car. They understand your routine, or where you live, then come back at their convenience w a duplicate key and you are out of a car. Heard of several such as this here in Atlanta. Hence my request for an alternate such as - car won't start without the clutch pedal being depressed, maybe a switch on that circuit?
Old 10-28-2016, 07:20 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

A lot of guys in the 240sx community install a simple SPST throw switch on the fuel pump power wire so the fuel pump wont get power no matter what. You can get pretty creative with it.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:19 AM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

All you need to defeat the immobilizer is bring an aftermarket ECU with you.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:11 AM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

At the end of the day, they'll tow it if they want it bad enough. You would be better off putting a GPS tracker on the car than worrying about a kill switch.

Last edited by Fokker; 10-29-2016 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:52 PM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

My father in law put the kill switch in the cigarette lighter of his 67 Mustang. Instead of pushing the the thing to heat up for a light, it really was an on / off switch. I thought it was pretty slick.
Old 10-30-2016, 03:24 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

Cigarette lighter? How long ago was this?

-- Chuck
Old 10-31-2016, 10:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Maddog308
yes, I am aware of the obvious , however I've heard that folks are getting keys made using the VIN that's clearly visible from outside a car. They understand your routine, or where you live, then come back at their convenience w a duplicate key and you are out of a car. Heard of several such as this here in Atlanta. Hence my request for an alternate such as - car won't start without the clutch pedal being depressed, maybe a switch on that circuit?
If all it takes is the VIN# to duplicate a transponder code then I am surprised more cars are not being stolen. But assuming that's all it takes, then the answer seems obvious - swap your ECU/key/lock with another S2000 owner. Or buy a set from a junk yard and then to recover your cost sell your old stuff to another S2000 owner who wants to theft-proof their car. Sure it's more work, but you end up with a totally stock setup that is theft-proof without having to resort to any special process for starting the car. Any observer will only see you put the key in and go, and will never know that a VIN copy will be useless.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:52 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Friend used to shackle his 1964 Porsche 356SC to a post. From axle to post with HD chain and Master lock. I have heard someone got their Supra stolen, even with the HD shackles. Guys torched the chain.

One thing about this arrangement... must not forget to de-shackle before driving off.

Quick Reply: How to disable S2000 for security