S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Need audio recommendations

Old 12-29-2016, 10:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need audio recommendations

Hey guys, I'm thinking of upgrading my head unit and possibly door speaker on my 06. What I'm looking for:
Headunit:
1) Aux/ phone plug in
2) Bluetooth (preferred)
3) Ability to change display color to orange

Speakers:
Good quality sound and fit in Stock door speaker location without modification

I don't need anything super fancy and don't want a sub or amp but I'd like to get a better quality sound out of the s2 Cuz as we all know the stock system is mediocre. Any recommendations would be great, thanks in advance!
Oh, and I'd like to keep it around 300 for it all including the modify dci but I don't mind spending more for quality door speakers
Old 12-29-2016, 11:15 AM
Community Organizer

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Purchased the following for my 06 S2000:
Alpine CDE 154BT head unit
Alpine SPR-60C speaker
Alpine KTP445U amp
also got all the dci and harness from Modify. A friend with another 06 S2000 recommended this to me a couple of months ago. His system was much better than the OEM. Going to have it installed next month after things get back to normal. Found all of it on ebay. Good luck man. Later BD
Old 12-29-2016, 07:36 PM

Received 1,561 Likes on 927 Posts

I purchased a Sony MEX-GS810BH at Crutchfields. Would do it again. My review is below but let me add two things about this. I did add NVH, or sound proofing, material to the car. Some B Quiet and 3M Thinsulate to the doors made a huge difference in the stock speakers. I was going to upgrade the speakers but not any more, for the time being. That as well as the power upgrade can really kick the bass. I used the Modifry PNP harness and DCI for seamless installation and use.

There is probably a newer model out. You can adjust the color any way you want or even make it disco. I, like you, wanted to match the color and intensity of the S. However, I have found I only have the door open inserting a CD which is pretty rare. I control the thing with my Samsung Note. The car's volume and track controls all work just fine. I have the aux inputs (also on the front display) dongle on the side but never have used them. It is all bluetooth.

I was ambivalent about using the microphone for the hands free phone at first (I have a Jawbone) but I went ahead and did it anyway. I slipped the wire under the lip of the rubber seal around the window frame-non permanent installation. The mic sits almost at the top of the side pillar. I was surprised how well it works. Glad I did it.

I copied my review here:

This was to replace my stock Head Unit in my 2009 Honda S2000. I wanted the thing to fit, work well with dash controls, and match the color of the cars display. I got it all. I did use a Modifry (specific to S2000) harness and DCI control to interface with the car seamlessly. I used Posi-tap and Posi-lock for the connections. Connected the 'speed' wire for variable volume control. It all went together as advertised. I did not have to solder or cut wires to fit. The S2000 has a snug opening but it all went it. I used the old stock head unit's side brackets on the new Sony so the fit and installation was perfect. I downloaded the Sony app on my Note 4 (T-Mobile) and linked it according to directions. That was it. Worked perfectly the first time. With the S2000 the Head unit is hidden most of the time behind a console door but that is what I want as the dash controls work as well as it interfaces with the Note 4. I leave the Sony on all the time. When I start the car, the Sony connects with the Note 4 bringing up the menu or last played song (paused even with Pandora). I just hit the play on the phone and away I go. The Note has an easy menu for the radio, CD, or whatever. You can add any app (Spotify, Pandora,etc) that is on your mobile and kick it over to the Sony app in include in the play menu. Slick. Hands free phone is great, good mic pickup and sound, even with the convertible top down. The sound is very good, makes the stock speakers come alive. Very pleased with it

Pros: Ease of installation and use. Pretty much automatic. No bugs. Great sound. Lots of sound control/audio options. Nice app.

Cons: None discovered.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158GS81...T#&gid=1&pid=1

Name:  20150616_230023.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  290.9 KB

The Sony fits the space behind the door no problem. In addition the unit has 55 watts so you don't really need an amp for regular use. I was going to replace my speakers but now I don't see a need. I am quite surprised how good the stock speakers sound with the new HU.

Last edited by cosmomiller; 12-30-2016 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Additional comments
Old 12-30-2016, 08:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a the Pioneer DEH-X9600BT which does all the 3 things you stated above. It's made the stock speakers much more alive. The only thing which prevents me from recommending them is that the volume knob is quite protruding and actually touches the back of the radio door when shut. This means when you shut the radio door, it goes into the menu section, making any adjustments in volume impossible from the stock switches in the S next to the wheel (if connected).

I was thinking to take off the face plate of the unit, removing the knob, and sanding it down by a few millimetres but haven't got around to it.

For the connections to the switches, I used an autoleads wire which you can purchase on ebay/amazon. Did the job for a few months but either the connection has come loose or it failed, but my switches no longer work. Will need to investigate.

Like you, I am also looking for a decent pair of door speakers for the exact same reasons and do not wish to purchase an amp or sub. If anyone can recommend that would be great!

@Bama Dave, were the Alpine SPR-60C speakers a straight fit? Or did it require adjusters?
Old 12-30-2016, 11:25 AM
Community Organizer

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Dznuk90 the Alpine speaker will require the Modify speaker rings to install.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158XB100BT/Sony-MEX-XB100BT.html?tp=5684&awkw=122698529545&awat=pla&aw nw=g&awcr=64103382265&awdv=m

What do you guys think about this one? It might be nice to have a built in amp along with all the other features I'm looking for
Old 12-30-2016, 07:24 PM

Received 1,561 Likes on 927 Posts

Looks good, it fits, sale ends tomorrow, last day of the year.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:12 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would go with the Sony you linked and hold off on replacing the OEM speakers until you get a chance to hear them with the new head unit. You may find the sound to be adequate with just the extra power from the new Sony.