S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

Don't get the no wideband needed thing of the KPro

Old 10-14-2016, 05:29 PM

Received 102 Likes on 71 Posts

Kpro and doctronics use the same ECU. Both would require a wideband o2 for tuning. doctronics is a mild knock off of the hondata kpro system.
Old 10-14-2016, 05:49 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RAIN H8R
Kpro and doctronics use the same ECU. Both would require a wideband o2 for tuning. doctronics is a mild knock off of the hondata kpro system.
Thanks Rain. You do a good job of explaining this stuff.

Couple quick questions...

Doesn't the RSX-S use a sort of quasi wideband OEM o2 sensor?

Yes the Doctronics is very similar, it just has a convertor for the crank sensor and others I believe to convert the signals so you don't need to change the hardware.

The Doctronics apparently uses the base model RSX ecu, with an option to use the Type S ecu.

But. didn't the previous version of the KPro also use the base model RSX ecu?

If the base model ecu is used, then it will use the stock narrow band o2 sensor, which is fine I guess, 'cause you are always trying to keep the AFR around stoich. But, in open loop mode, if you don't have a wideband, then you are just programming the ECU to use a specific amount of fuel for various combo's of rpm, throttle position, etc. Is that correct?

And if so, is the point of using a wideband in open loop just so theoretically you can have actual measurement of AFR and further adjust or fine tune dynamically based on various parameters, even though you are in open loop?

Thanks again for the good explanation.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:33 PM

Received 102 Likes on 71 Posts

The rsx prb ecu uses a wideband o2 from the factory, as well as a narrowband for readings after the catalytic converter. For years people wanted to be able to use the stock wideband for s2k kpro setups but hondata did not make it happen. Several people tried to make it happen on their own, some failed and fried their ecus, some succeeded. So I understand why their is misleading info out there.

I did not see information about what ecu doctronics uses. S2k Kpro has always been the 02-04 prb rsx s ecu but only certain serial numbers.

This is getting deep, and difficult to make sure we both understand.

Bottom line, you will want the prb ecu, and a wideband on the car. You tune in open loop using the wideband. Once tuning is complete, you put the ecu into closed loop in either wideband or narrowband control.

No matter which way you choose to run closed loop, you will want a wideband on the car for tuning, and diagnosing issues in the future. Datalogging is a life saver. Also, digital input wb02 systems have more options for safety within the kpro. Look into that.

I could spell out the differences between wideband and narrowband control, but I do not want to say something inaccurate. These are all topics to discuss with your tuner before you buy anything.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:17 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

KPRO 4 in a PRB ecu can use a wideband o2.
One of their newest firmware allowed more compatibility, especially dash outputs for WB02 using the preconfigured inputs.

AEM / KPRO / MS / Docwhomever shouldn't make the call on what you need to monitor AFR . you could run now AFR reference ,but I wouldn't recommend it.