S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

Evans Tuning e-tune review

Old 10-10-2011, 05:14 AM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Evans Tuning e-tune review

I decided to get an e-tune for my car after I installed a test pipe because I wanted to take full advantage of the increase in midrange power/torque that I could get. Plus for the long-term I wanted to have a tune tailored to my own car rather than run a preloaded calibration. I figured if I already spent $700 on the Flashpro why would I not spend just a little more to get a custom tune by such a reputable tuner. I wanted to share my experience with anyone considering an e-tune:

I purchased the e-tune a few weeks ago and got my first calibration from Jeff. I loaded the calibration, logged the car and sent the logs back figuring it would be a few days before I got a revised calibration. I was pleasantly surprised when I got the next revision less than 24 hours later. This quick turnaround time continued throughout the whole process.

By the third revision to my tune I could already feel a big difference in the way the car drove. Everything was much more smooth. It just kept improving from there. Now that I am on my final tune the car drives flawlessly. Part-throttle driving around town is perfect and wide open throttle pulls feel amazing. The car drives much better than when I was stock running the "stock tuned" Flashpro calibration that came preloaded on the device. It even feels smoother than it did on the factory tune before I ever purchased the Flashpro. My WOT A/F ratio is consistent throughout the rev range and the car pulls harder than it ever did before.

Any time I had questions (which was often) Jeff would answer them in the next email. It was nice to have this personal attention from the best in the business.

I am extremely happy with my e-tune experience. This is hands-down the best "mod" I have done to my car. A custom tune is essential to anyone modding their car. For me an e-tune was the perfect solution because I did not want to drive several hours to find a reputable tuner and I wanted my tune to come from a shop that specialized in Flashpro tuning. I also like that my tune took into account dozens of real-world datalogs in a variety of ambient temperatures.

Bottom line: An e-tune is money well spent. I had an excellent experience with Evans Tuning and I recommend them to anyone who is modifying their car or considering a custom tune.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:21 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

How much is the e-tune again? And how many different calibrations did it take before you guys decided everything looked good?
Old 10-10-2011, 06:22 AM
Syn

It is $150 if you purchased Flashpro from Evans or $200 if you did not. And then $100 for a re-tune if you've already gotten one on that setup. I had already bought a Flashpro from Science of Speed so I paid $200. It was well worth it though.

In total there were 9 calibrations. I've read other people have done it in anywhere from 6 to 12 so I was right in the middle. At calibration 3 it was feeling noticeably better. By 6 or 7 it was pretty much perfect as far as the elimination of knock and stabilization of A/F ratio--the last 2 or 3 were just getting the long term fuel trim close to 0 to maximize MPG.

The car is really great to drive now (not that it wasn't before, it's just that much better). With the testpipe I have my vtec at 4200 rpm with the 8500 redline. There is so much more useable power/torque under the curve and it's especially noticed/appreciated when driving around town. It's also very much prevalent on WOT pulls as well. I just love the way the car drives now. It's so much easier to stay in the powerband vs. stock. Gone are the days of shifting as fast as I can and just barely staying in the powerband especially on the 1-2 shift. The only other thing I'm going to do to this car now is an AP1 flywheel whenever my clutch goes. I'm happy with where it's at power-wise (short of going forced induction which will have to wait until I get a house!)
Old 10-10-2011, 06:45 AM

^Sounds good. Thanks for the info. I also plan to keep my setup pretty simple much like yours although I'm tempted to add a good single exhaust on top. And I know exactly what you mean about feeling like you need to shift super fast to stay in the power. I might very well have to look into this!
Old 10-10-2011, 12:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Evan's is the man on these cars. E-tuned my turbo setup and it runs flawlessly. Do not hesitate to use him. A+ tuner.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, evans tuned my CR with intake, tp, and exhaust and it runs amazing out on the road courses.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:05 PM

For you n/a guys where is your vtec set? and did you start from the stock calibration or one he sent?
Old 10-10-2011, 04:50 PM
Syn

Mine is 4200. You can get down this low with just a testpipe--it is the piece that allows you to drop the engagement point, not a header or catback. The other two pieces in addition may allow you to go lower yet, though.

He sends you a base tune based on your mod list and you go from there.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is set at 5500
Old 10-10-2011, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice. I plan on getting this done as well. Probably just an fipk intake and a test pipe only. I like my stock exhaust. Its good enough for me.

Quick Reply: Evans Tuning e-tune review