S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Boosting on stock 360cc injectors

Old 12-16-2016, 08:56 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
I have a Vortech V2 on my AP1 F20 with a 4" pulley. Might be 4.25". It has the supplied 5th injector installed and seems to run rich. Is it safe to stay with that 5th injector or should I rather upgrade the stock injectors and remove the 5th altogether?
Wow, haven't heard of someone running this kit in a long time, I forgot about the 5th injector system, but think it was just for the ap2? Maybe this is why your running too rich. I never seen one up close and was always curious about how VT has the 5th injector managed.
What is your afr reading would be my first question? Did you buy the kit used?

Last edited by s2000Junky; 12-16-2016 at 08:58 AM.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:03 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

What like a wetshot solenoid
Old 12-17-2016, 03:06 AM

Received 186 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Wow, haven't heard of someone running this kit in a long time, I forgot about the 5th injector system, but think it was just for the ap2? Maybe this is why your running too rich. I never seen one up close and was always curious about how VT has the 5th injector managed.
What is your afr reading would be my first question? Did you buy the kit used?
you're right. Its the AP2 kit. I bought it used. It came with my car actually. I can smell fuel on the dip stick. Apparently it was tuned safe but unfortunately I do not know what the AFR is yet as I need to get a new belt on before going to retune and get the accurate readings. I also need an AFR gauge asap.

am I safe with the 5th even if I go from 8 to 10 psi?
Old 12-17-2016, 04:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go stand alone! You will not regret it. I have nearly 30k boosted miles all on an aem v1 with wb and its been great.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by camuman
Go stand alone! You will not regret it. I have nearly 30k boosted miles all on an aem v1 with wb and its been great.
me? Yeah I intend to at a later stage. For now I'm running a piggyback unit.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:51 PM
Community Organizer

you're right. Its the AP2 kit. I bought it used. It came with my car actually. I can smell fuel on the dip stick. Apparently it was tuned safe but unfortunately I do not know what the AFR is yet as I need to get a new belt on before going to retune and get the accurate readings. I also need an AFR gauge asap.

am I safe with the 5th even if I go from 8 to 10 psi?
Smelling fuel on the dipstick is not good, it means your getting a substantial amount of fuel in your oil. The 5th injector system was meant for the higher fuel demands of the ap2 engine which you are not running. I would stop driving the car asap and drain the oil and hope you haven't already done damage to the engine. You should pull all your plugs and send us pics. You do not want to exceed 7-8psi without the means to retard/tune timing. Your on a stage 1 level kit. I strongly suggest you invest in a wideband for the car if you want to reliably run your current set up over anything the tuner is your to tell you/do for you. You have to run the right afr on this kit or your engine could be short lived. Does the rrfpr that came on this kit have an external adjustment post on it? Or is it one of the crappy pre loaded internal puck style non adjustable rrfpr?
Old 12-18-2016, 08:39 AM

Smelling fuel on the dipstick is not good, it means your getting a substantial amount of fuel in your oil. The 5th injector system was meant for the higher fuel demands of the ap2 engine which you are not running. I would stop driving the car asap and drain the oil and hope you haven't already done damage to the engine. You should pull all your plugs and send us pics. You do not want to exceed 7-8psi without the means to retard/tune timing. Your on a stage 1 level kit. I strongly suggest you invest in a wideband for the car if you want to reliably run your current set up over anything the tuner is your to tell you/do for you. You have to run the right afr on this kit or your engine could be short lived. Does the rrfpr that came on this kit have an external adjustment post on it? Or is it one of the crappy pre loaded internal puck style non adjustable rrfpr?
When I smelt the dipstick the other day the smell of fuel wasn't really there or as strong as before. I can send pics of my old plugs before going one step colder. They were the stock plugs. I upgraded to BKR8EIX. In light of what you said, can I remove the 5th injector and run the setup as is with 8 psi, get a retune and that's that?
And the FPR is the stock Vortech one from what I can tell.
What is wideband by the way - the wideband AFR gauge?
Old 12-19-2016, 08:50 AM
Community Organizer

When I smelt the dipstick the other day the smell of fuel wasn't really there or as strong as before. I can send pics of my old plugs before going one step colder. They were the stock plugs. I upgraded to BKR8EIX. In light of what you said, can I remove the 5th injector and run the setup as is with 8 psi, get a retune and that's that?
And the FPR is the stock Vortech one from what I can tell.
What is wideband by the way - the wideband AFR gauge?
If you cant adjust your rrfpr then there is nothing to tune. comptech had an adjustable rrfpr, vortech has one but wasn't offered in their kits. The only way to know if your running in the ballpark of being safe is if you either pay a tuner to run a tail pipe sniffer wile you do a run on the dyno (expensive and not that accurate) or invest in the wideband afr gauge (less then $200 and check it yourself on the street which is a must have investment for being boosted for troubleshooting now and the future. Depending on what your afr is, will determine your next course of action. That's where your at right now. I don't like it when I hear your situation and then hear about smelling fuel in the oil, ive lost motors from fuel wash and bad tuners in the past. It can happen quickly if things are not right.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 12-19-2016 at 08:52 AM.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:55 AM

If you cant adjust your rrfpr then there is nothing to tune. comptech had an adjustable rrfpr, vortech has one but wasn't offered in their kits. The only way to know if your running in the ballpark of being safe is if you either pay a tuner to run a tail pipe sniffer wile you do a run on the dyno (expensive and not that accurate) or invest in the wideband afr gauge (less then $200 and check it yourself on the street which is a must have investment for being boosted for troubleshooting now and the future. Depending on what your afr is, will determine your next course of action. That's where your at right now. I don't like it when I hear your situation and then hear about smelling fuel in the oil, ive lost motors from fuel wash and bad tuners in the past. It can happen quickly if things are not right.
You are so right - I need an AFR gauge asap. I just have to hold off til January though - that's when I'll have enough cash to spend on one. Wish I could get it now though. The car runs so well with boost but when I bought it I knew I need to start from ground zero with a tune and go from there. AFR gauge is a must. Sadly the belt for my blower gave me issues several times preventing me from getting the tune done a month ago at least. Now the belt is totally off and I'm running her NA. I noticed that the resistance through the supercharger and charge cooler was too high since the blower is offline so, I disconnected it from the intake and slapped on a K&N cone filter then went for a drive. Wow, the induction sound, torque and VTEC kick is real! This is in NA mode by the way. Before I removed the blower from the intake, the car didn't perform like that because of resistance caused by the stationary impeller. Now it runs like stock. Just today I disconnected the 5th injector. No need for that extra fuel in NA mode, right? The charge cooler is disconnected from the intake anyway so that extra fuel doesn't have anywhere to go. Do you think I should go for spirited drives like this? The car is mapped for boost but running NA now.

You got me worried now about the "fuel wash" thing... I don't DD my car by the way. Apparently its normal for you to smell some gasoline on the dipstick in all cars. Mine isn't a massive smell like there's only fuel in there. Come to think of it my Corolla also exhibits that and the car is very slightly modded with no ECU tuning and no boost of course. Sounds like you had some really worst case scenarios there
Old 12-21-2016, 10:33 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If you have the rrfpr and u dont wanna swap back on stock fpr which I imagine is pretty easy ain't it? At least bring the pressure down, your stft an ltft should be able to help out and keep ya safe. Not sure what regulates the fifth injector but if it's not the ecu and in NA it's deftly not needed. I guess if it was boost activated then it could stay. ... Eh No real experience with this setup, but for NA it's not needed.

Good luck, don't rush it. Perfection takes time.
look for progression then perfection.

Quick Reply: Boosting on stock 360cc injectors