S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Built motor guys; Rod & Main Clearances

Old 09-03-2010, 05:11 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by teamvalorracing,Sep 3 2010, 07:17 AM
why would you start with the LOOSEST bearing possible if they "have such tight clearances"?
because IMHO honda clearances for this motor are too tight.

an old wise man, who has been at the top of the industry for a LOOOOONNG time once told me...

"build it loose and only you know about it, build it tight and everyone is going to find out about it!"

meaning, if you build it tight it's more likely to come apart, thats when people find out about it.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

then why do honda motors last sooooooooooooo long bro?

if what you say is true, there would be spun bearings and crap left and right. but the honda motor is one of the longest lasting on the roads to date.

he may have been a wise man, but that statement is far from true.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:25 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i'm building high performance motors, not shitboxes

I have built over 100 short blocks and never had bearing issues. I have used every brand of bearing, honda, king, autozone, advance auto, acl, clevite, etc.

I see the condition factory bearings are in when they have been beat on and from what i see i choose to run looser clearances, the motors that i have built, then later taken apart dont show the type of wear. usually the only wear on the bearings i see if from retards detonating the motor all over the place or from a bent valve hitting the piston.

i build them all to around 0.0020 and have never had an issue.

and i do see spun bearings in stock motors on a fairly regular basis.

you dont rebuild your block with aftermarket pistons to 0.0008" p-w clearance do you? thats what stock spec is.

How many of your motors have you run for 20k miles then taken apart to inspect everything? Thats how I decide what clearances i'm going to use, what pistons i'm going to use, what oil, etc.
The following users liked this post:
Igorb (01-11-2022)
Old 09-03-2010, 05:31 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting debate, I can see the points from both sides
Old 09-03-2010, 05:35 AM

Wadzi-
so you think you've got 1 up on Honda bro? you just sound arrogant. i mean seriously. they have found those tolerances to be the best of solutions for reliability and longevity. thats it! you cant deny facts. your 100 short blocks have nothing on the millions honda has built and designed.

why do so many people think they are getting one over on the engineers who perfected this shit to a damn science? its juvenile ideology at best.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by teamvalorracing,Sep 3 2010, 09:35 AM
Wadzi-
so you think you've got 1 up on Honda bro? you just sound arrogant. i mean seriously. they have found those tolerances to be the best of solutions for reliability and longevity. thats it! you cant deny facts. your 100 short blocks have nothing on the millions honda has built and designed.

why do so many people think they are getting one over on the engineers who perfected this shit to a damn science? its juvenile ideology at best.
You're talking about STOCK motors. All that longetivity and reliablity goes out the window once you click in this forum, therefore the rules change. I've never built a motor, but common sense says if you're building a motor with non OEM parts, non OEM specs for things like bearings definitely sound like par for the course.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by spectacle,Sep 3 2010, 08:44 AM
You're talking about STOCK motors. All that longetivity and reliablity goes out the window once you click in this forum, therefore the rules change. I've never built a motor, but common sense says if you're building a motor with non OEM parts, non OEM specs for things like bearings definitely sound like par for the course.
i see what youre getting at, but how are the non oem parts outside of the motor effecting bearing tolerances when in fact you are using OEM crank, OEM main caps, and OEM rods(the only parts touching the bearings). how does having an air intake or rims or a sc/turbo effect those clearences?
Old 09-03-2010, 06:02 AM

Most, if not all built motors don't use OEM rods. And having a built motor has nothing to do with what turbo or intake is attached to it. Cmon now don't get preachy on us
Old 09-03-2010, 06:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spectacle,Sep 3 2010, 05:44 AM
OEM bearings have different clearances, so as long as the clearances are the same as an ACL set, I'm wondering which is better.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by spectacle,Sep 3 2010, 09:02 AM
Most, if not all built motors don't use OEM rods. And having a built motor has nothing to do with what turbo or intake is attached to it. Cmon now don't get preachy on us
not getting preachy bro. i just didnt know if Adam was using aftermarket rods. and if so, what are the bearings they recommend for their item?

if its all oem except for the pistons, which i thought thats what he was doing, than oem specs should be followed.

now if he had an AEBS block bored to 89mm, some Cryo'd crank, Pauter rods, and Arias pistons.... something like that, i could see wanting to switch the internal lubricating aspects up a bit.

Quick Reply: Built motor guys; Rod & Main Clearances