S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Greddy kit and smoke

Old 02-16-2017, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greddy kit and smoke

I Recently rebuilt and put the engine back in my car after stalking posts, using the shop manual and making notes for the last year and everything was running great. Starts no problem, sounds good, ran good, no smoke etc. I then began stalking this page and bought pieces from people over the last year and put together a full greddy turbo kit for a fraction of what they were wanting for it as people on here upgraded and sold off parts. I get it all put together, start the car and it's smoking. Blue smoke.... on idle, worse when Rpm goes up (don't get me wrong it's not pouring) but it is very noticeable and fills the garage rather quickly with a terrible smell So here's my question, and I've seen a few things about it just nothing definitive and I'm hoping someone on here with this kit can answer this... first place I'm gonna start is? Does this kit require an oil restrictor? I didn't see one in the instructions for install but again I didn't buy it as a kit. And if so? What size? I may be flooding the turbo... I haven't even drove it, just let it run at idle a few times until warm to check for leaks etc. the smoke is definitely burnt oil, but I'm not sure if it's because it needs a restrictor or if the turbo needs seal and the guy I bought it from on here didn't tell the full truth about the turbo and it has bad seals. It had very little shaft play and I'd like to think he wouldn't lie about it, or maybe he didn't know but either way, I've got to get this bug screen stopped! Thanks for any info and thanks to any for your time ahead of time.

Last edited by Forgottens2k; 02-16-2017 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:08 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

hmmmm If its smoking right on idle, right off the bat, hard to tell. Pull down pipe check turbine. pull plugs. I think rebuilds for those are super cheap anyways. Considering how cheap I think it is; I would of thought of just doing that for peace of mind before installing a used turbo.
Might wanna just do that and check it off.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:14 AM

Yea I thought I would go ahead and do that as well, and would have if I hadn't been told that the turbo was barely used and was in perfect working order... but things happen. I just hope someone chimes in as to whether it needs a restrictor or not so I can do it all at once.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:20 AM

I had the same problem with my Greddy kit. Make sure the drain line isn't contacting the motor mount. Mine was and it was getting pinched which in turn caused the oil not to drain properly. I had to install some Innovative mounts and refab the drain line but once I did that the problem went away.

And yes these kits do come with a restrictor. Not sure why the previous owner would not provide it.

Last edited by Super Nintendo Chalmers; 02-22-2017 at 04:26 AM.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:02 AM

Just went through the exact thing last year after purchasing a used Greddy. The Mitsubishi turbo already has a built in restrictor. If you look down in the casing where the oil enters you'll see a small hole. The case is designed to flow the correct amount of oil. You should not add a restrictor. If you do you will only starve the turbo. The problem with this kit is the drain. It enters the oil pan below the oil level which is a terrible design. Oil cannot freely flow out of the turbo into the pan and therefore backs up into the turbo and out the seals. When the oil cannot properly flow out it therefore can't flow in properly either and ends up burning up the bearings and killing the seals. I had to replace the center cartridge AND I rerouted the return line. It's not too hard. I basically drilled a hole in the front of the oil pan above the oil level, then attched a 10AN bung and ran a new line to that. Now the oil has no restriction as it enters the pan.

Last edited by superfly77; 02-23-2017 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-23-2017, 10:13 AM

Oh, and also make sure you have the vent tube and PCV line all routed correctly. If those are messed up you could be holding pressure in the crankcase and therefore pushing oil back up that drain line.