S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

GT30R and E85, boost limit?

Old 05-11-2012, 10:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by camuman
The dyno u use is low reading to say the least. There is no magic psi number. A guess would be 20-23 will be needed and that turbo will be working hard on a log to hit 500. To hit 500 on the dyno u dyno on will be impossible. My guess is your already over 400 as it is judging by your trap.
Yeah, it definitely is. Not worried about hitting 500 though, so it doesn't really matter. The goal is high 10s on drag radials. I don't think I'm going to make it there, but we'll see. If I can get my 60' down to 1.6 or so (which seems to be possible) I shouldn't be too far from it...

Originally Posted by passmans2kny
im gonna say you can hit 25ish psi b4 heat becomes a real factor
Thanks for the input. Any idea if the GT3076R is efficient at that PSI? And you don't think I'll have issues with detonation/knock on E85 at that PSI?
Old 05-11-2012, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Name:  gt30760.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  50.6 KB
Name:  gt3076.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  68.4 KB
are you looking for something like this?
Old 05-11-2012, 11:54 AM

Probably been said by now but it's about FLOW not boost. Thus this is a CFM convo rather. I see by the post above it's gone that direction.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by TerminatioN
Originally Posted by CKit' timestamp='1336750092' post='21689655
You're going to run out of injector.
No offense, but I'm not looking for thoughts on if my fuel system will support it. I'm asking about E85 and the turbo only in regards to what they can support. Assume everything else is sufficient to support it (and if its not it will be upgraded).

Basically I'm trying to make the most power I can with my current turbo, manifold, and E85. I can upgrade the fuel system more if I need to, but I'm trying to keep those three things the same and max them out.
E85 has nothing to do with it then, might as well leave that factor out to not confuse people about your questions.

The turbo is limited by one factor, it's ability to efficiently flow air.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by TerminatioN
Originally Posted by camuman' timestamp='1336761467' post='21690306
The dyno u use is low reading to say the least. There is no magic psi number. A guess would be 20-23 will be needed and that turbo will be working hard on a log to hit 500. To hit 500 on the dyno u dyno on will be impossible. My guess is your already over 400 as it is judging by your trap.
Yeah, it definitely is. Not worried about hitting 500 though, so it doesn't really matter. The goal is high 10s on drag radials. I don't think I'm going to make it there, but we'll see. If I can get my 60' down to 1.6 or so (which seems to be possible) I shouldn't be too far from it...

Originally Posted by passmans2kny
im gonna say you can hit 25ish psi b4 heat becomes a real factor
Thanks for the input. Any idea if the GT3076R is efficient at that PSI? And you don't think I'll have issues with detonation/knock on E85 at that PSI?
^ PSI has nothing to do with it, rather CFM. That log manifold is going to as others said, produce a lot of heat, I expect it will be your limiting factor before a 3076 in .82 trim.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:05 PM

Here's some REAL info that might be useful, two days ago I got tuned with the SAME TURBO .63 TRIM, MANIFOLD, INTERCOOLER, OIL RELOCATER, TIAL38mm, nearly the same setup you have. Only real change is I still have a 2.75 downpipe which is a bummer but soon to change to 3.5" You'll net a few hp better than I cause of the DP right there.

I'm making 360whp right now as of 2 days ago. I also was on a dyno that reads quite low according to most everyone.

I was unable to hit 400whp due to heat because this manifold is a real POS, that would have been right about my limit.
At 15psi I was pushing my luck because of this heat, I had tons of turbo still left however as I'm on a SC34-BB in 82/.63trim 545hp rated where as yours is good for a bit less which means even more heat in your case unfortunately. Your .63 trim is probably going to top off in efficiency before 400whp but in .82 trim if you were willing to change to that you'd be able to make 450whp no problem giving up 300rpm later peak boost or so. The GTX30R could put you in the 600whp range perhaps and still spool close to that .63 you have no but it's $$$$$$. Just a thought, in my mind the GTX30 is the best turbo for the S2000 overall.

E85 is going to get you a little further because of less heat in this case but only so much. I expect you've got another 20% or less to gain at max.

Your inter-cooler is way too small, it's lacking the ability to cool air past flows needed to make 350hp or so. That's what that thing is rated for btw is 350hp. Cooler charge air will help you keep temps down so I suggest going to one made for 450hp, don't goo too big or you'll just create lag by having to charge more piping. Also your IC piping is limited to about 450-500whp before it starts to be a problem to some degree.

Your number one problem is that manifold, Pfab short runner would probably allow for 30whp gain without a doubt.

-Greg
Old 05-11-2012, 12:20 PM

I know what a compressor map is and where to find it. Unfortunately I do not know how to properly read/interpet one. Care to help me out?

I understand that it is not PSI, but rather CFM that matters, but as I said, I do not properly know how to calculate/read the compressor map, so I don't know the CFM, and thus PSI is what I'm using to refer to how much the turbo is flowing. Its not as if I'm talking about PSI in regards to any turbo... If you know how to calculate CFM and I refer to PSI, you should be able to convert it since I've designated the specific turbo.

Furthermore, I am asking in PSI because that is what the EMS is set to read/use, and I will be limiting how much the turbo will flow based on PSI. Thus instead of asking "how much CFM" and then having to convert back to PSI and possibly/likely messing it up, I'm just asking in PSI. I'm pretty sure this is common practice.

Yes, I know E85 will not change the flow of the turbo, I was just trying to find out what the turbo was efficient to and if E85 would support that ammount of air without detonation/knock.

Thanks for the info though.

The log manifold is no doubt restrictive, and it is likely that I will eventually upgrade to a full race ramhorn. But until then (as I've said) I was just trying to make the best out of what I have. I'm not looking to hit some magic dyno number. I just want to make the most I can make on my current setup and see what kind of time I can put down at the track.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by gsx2004

are you looking for something like this?

You can see from the map at 35-40lbs/min this thing has no problem, unfortunately the OP is probably hoping for a setup that flows 50lbs a min or better..... quite a bit out of the efficiency range.

The image is a .60 trim so this is close to what he'll end up with then.

THIS would be great for him. He'd be set for his hopes IMO.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:24 PM

Very roughly, 1lbs/min = 10whp.

So have a look at these maps and you can apply the lbs capable before pressures fall off.

Back to his original question though of maxing out. Probably not much past 400whp even with E85 is my guess though I don't know much of E85 capabilities yet.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's possible to achieve 500whp on e85/q16, at around 20 psi on this turbo, that is, on an ELM, however, the log manifold will restrict you. A lot.

Quick Reply: GT30R and E85, boost limit?