S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Mid range TQ with SC

Old 12-20-2016, 03:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Mid range TQ with SC

Hi !

I read most of the post on this forum ( as much as I have time too ) and I don't remember reading about that specifically.

Im supercharged with the old CT kit (novi 1000) running 9.4 psi at red line. 350whp. Other mods are toda header , 70mm TP and exhaust. Haltech and Vtec at 5k

Im wondering if there's anything that could improve mid range TQ ( around 5k rpm) beside more boost of course.

My first idea is throttle body and matching intake ??

Thanks

Last edited by Sylvain2000; 12-20-2016 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-20-2016, 04:34 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Nope, it is what it is. You could improve some by lowering your vtec engagement point though to more conventional 3500-3800rpm range. Your leaving power on the table waiting till 5k to engage vtec, so thats free power right there. Beyond that, more boost.

The larger TB and intake port will improve throttle response and gave me about 10whp through most of the rpm range. Thats going to yield a % in trq as well, but nothing mind blowing and not specific to mid range, just throughout the curve.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 12-20-2016 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:07 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Not true.

Wet shot bro. And you'll have your mid range when ever you want it.

My friend has the exact same blower n setup, running a +75 wetshot, on stage 1 pulley setup.

On a stock ecu, rrfpr, 340lph and he built this lil black box that makes the map sensor only read up to 2.5Vlts; so no boost cut. Called it a potentiometer, said it took three hours to make but all was bought at RadioShack.

Sucka went from "ya it'll be fun" to dayumm!
Old 12-20-2016, 06:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Nope, it is what it is. You could improve some by lowering your vtec engagement point though to more conventional 3500-3800rpm range. Your leaving power on the table waiting till 5k to engage vtec, so thats free power right there. Beyond that, more boost.

The larger TB and intake port will improve throttle response and gave me about 10whp through most of the rpm range. Thats going to yield a % in trq as well, but nothing mind blowing and not specific to mid range, just throughout the curve.
+1 on lowering the VTEC engagement point!

Last edited by JawKnee; 12-20-2016 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Didn't see Haltech
Old 12-20-2016, 08:10 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by MorngWoodStewie
Not true.

Wet shot bro. And you'll have your mid range when ever you want it.

My friend has the exact same blower n setup, running a +75 wetshot, on stage 1 pulley setup.

On a stock ecu, rrfpr, 340lph and he built this lil black box that makes the map sensor only read up to 2.5Vlts; so no boost cut. Called it a potentiometer, said it took three hours to make but all was bought at RadioShack.

Sucka went from "ya it'll be fun" to dayumm!

Sounds fun, but no offense, I dont see the OP who is already invested in a full EMS (Hlatech) moving to further compound and complicate his FI set up, when he still has an easy/practical and safer option to just up the boost. I dont see nitrous as an appropriate next step here, but who knows maybe it will for the OP after he maxes out his blower and still feels its lacking for him, i dont know.

Also just fyi for you, that black box your buddy put together to clamp the MAP sensor is called an ESM and came standard with all pre Novi 1220/1200 era base supercharger kits, and are about $50 to replace if your buddy wants to avoid making one in the future. The guy who originally developed the ESM 17 years ago for the Comptech kit is a local guy here in Seattle by the name of RT on the website. Just a fun fact since you brought it up. Jawknee also knows him.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 12-20-2016 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:47 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Sounds fun, but no offense, I dont see the OP who is already invested in a full EMS (Hlatech) moving to further compound and complicate his FI set up, when he still has an easy/practical and safer option to just up the boost. I dont see nitrous as an appropriate next step here, but who knows maybe it will for the OP after he maxes out his blower and still feels its lacking for him, i dont know.

Also just fyi for you, that black box your buddy put together to clamp the MAP sensor is called an ESM and came standard with all pre Novi 1220/1200 era base supercharger kits, and are about $50 to replace if your buddy wants to avoid making one in the future. The guy who originally developed the ESM 17 years ago for the Comptech kit is a local guy here in Seattle by the name of RT on the website. Just a fun fact since you brought it up. Jawknee also knows him.

That is a fun fact. I assumed it was available information to get or build one but when I asked he said nah; he figured out atmospheric pressure = around 2.7 volts or around 4krpm and made it at 2.5 iirc. I knew it was already developed but the dude blew my mind lol with it.

On a old stage 1 setup (practically the lowest cfm blower) and the shot he was gone! And I'm dyno tuned @ 420 // 295 TC
The wet shot doesn't complicate to much because it is enriched with fuel, honestly he blew my mind on the setup. It was inspiring to say the least.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:53 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by MorngWoodStewie
That is a fun fact. I assumed it was available information to get or build one but when I asked he said nah; he figured out atmospheric pressure = around 2.7 volts or around 4krpm and made it at 2.5 iirc. I knew it was already developed but the dude blew my mind lol with it.

On a old stage 1 setup (practically the lowest cfm blower) and the shot he was gone! And I'm dyno tuned @ 420 // 295 TC
The wet shot doesn't complicate to much because it is enriched with fuel, honestly he blew my mind on the setup. It was inspiring to say the least.
Yeah we all have nerdy friends in this scene I think

A good nitrous system would be fun to experience. Ive never been in a nitrous set up car. I know the instant trq capability is huge. Like everything though, there always seems to be compromises to go with the benefits. I ran water/meth injection for several years with my supercharger, but that was more for safety then all out performance. Does both, but it adds more complications/things to monitor and look over, inevitable fitting leaks, tuning adjustments etc.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:41 PM

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

sell it and go turbo with a nice gtx3071r setup. my turbo setup has a crap load of power at 5000rpm. centrifugal superchargers are known to be gutless untill the last few thousand rpm. The only way you will increase your mid range power a noticeable amount with a super charger is to use nitrious or to stroke the motor to at least a 2.4l or bigger.

Last edited by riceball777; 12-21-2016 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks all for your input !!

Nos is out of question. The car sees track days a few time per year.

I know about the power under 5k that I'm missing. I like to get push from the crossover and I never get under 5k on the track. Plus
I had an issue when I was N/A with a aem ems with the vtec at 3500. Can be 100% shure but I broke a roller rocker , sold the ecu , the guy who bought it broke one too ... !?!?!?

My goal would be to get more punch out of corners , don't really want to up the boost , im confortable with the max power I have. Would really like to squeeze a few pounds of TQ

Sometime I wonder if a basic 2.4 would be more fun at the track.

As far as turbo I always feared the heat at the track. Before the S in 2000 i had a integra GS-R that i had turboed and always felt like the car had lost is original feel. One of the thing I like about the sc on the S and the reason I got one.
The following users liked this post:
RolanTHUNDER (01-01-2017)
Old 12-21-2016, 04:44 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Sylvain2000
Thanks all for your input !!

Nos is out of question. The car sees track days a few time per year.

I know about the power under 5k that I'm missing. I like to get push from the crossover and I never get under 5k on the track. Plus
I had an issue when I was N/A with a aem ems with the vtec at 3500. Can be 100% shure but I broke a roller rocker , sold the ecu , the guy who bought it broke one too ... !?!?!?

My goal would be to get more punch out of corners , don't really want to up the boost , im confortable with the max power I have. Would really like to squeeze a few pounds of TQ

Sometime I wonder if a basic 2.4 would be more fun at the track.

As far as turbo I always feared the heat at the track. Before the S in 2000 i had a integra GS-R that i had turboed and always felt like the car had lost is original feel. One of the thing I like about the sc on the S and the reason I got one.
I dont know what track you run, but in my general experience, if your finding the need for more power out of the turns then what your currently using, id assume your just not carrying enough corner speed. If your using the full track width and pushing the car to its limit of adhesion, then the last thing you need is more mid range trq to try and modulate and bite you in the ass. If your making mistakes or poor line choices/ falling out of the fast line and need to recover regularly, then a car with low/mid range grunt will help mask that poor driving and get you to recover status quicker. The S2k is a momentum car, with fast cornering speeds compared to most other cars, and thats how it should be driven to capitalize on it. As a result, more top end trq/hp will shorten the runs between corners and nothing wrong with that. SC has the perfect powerband for road course duty. And yes, also easier with heat management/reliability. Id toy with the idea of upping the boost a few psi if you really feel lacking in power to reach your track time goals. 9psi isnt much. 11-12 psi is reasonable. You will gain 10-12trq at 5-6k rpm from that and will be noticeable. Double that at near redline along with another 30-40whp peak rpm.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 12-21-2016 at 04:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Mid range TQ with SC