S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.
View Poll Results: Which Supercharger?
Comptech
13.92%
Kraftwerks
21.52%
Science of Speed
51.05%
Vortech
13.50%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Which Supercharger?

Old 11-23-2010, 05:06 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SoS and Comptech are nearly identical, but the SoS takes the lead with afew improvements in the mounting system and tensioner.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:18 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Moddiction,Nov 22 2010, 06:31 PM
The supercharger I want the most is the SOT however. Think that would be the most fun for a daily driver. Roots powerband would feel much faster I think.
It is quite fun.

I would not worry about parts avaiability if you decide to pick one up. The custom mounting brackets and things unique to the kit are built like brick sh*thouses, and the rest of the parts are pretty much off the shelf sourceable items.

The power ceiling is lower if you want some insane level, but it is a great driving car.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:03 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Okay, lets start from the beginning, you have to be cautious there is always such terrible information flying around.

The SOS, if you just buy the most basic kit, is not a bad deal but it comes with the smallest aftercooler, the smallest radiator and bypass valve and a few other less impressive parts. If you go with Vortech you can get a all the upgraded parts with the base kit and it comes with an air intake box to help keep the intake air charge cooler.

Now there has been some debate on the tensioning mechanism between the (2) brands but I cannot offer any experience with either.

However, if you do go with a tuner kit SOS can provide EVERYTHING you need and they have EXCELLENT customer service. So for me I would purchase a Vortech, but since you are asking the question I am guessing you aren’t real knowledgeable about FI yet and you may want to speak with Chris or Jeff at SOS.

Hopefully SOS will be looking into a larger aftercooler, and an airbox in the future, then I would be recomending their kit hands down.

Good Luck
Old 11-23-2010, 12:15 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

:Knocks on wood:

I just wanted something pretty damn reliable, my CTSC+AC seems to be doing well @7psi.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:16 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyushin,Nov 23 2010, 06:06 AM
SoS and Comptech are nearly identical, but the SoS takes the lead with afew improvements in the mounting system and tensioner.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dsddcd,Nov 23 2010, 11:03 AM
Okay, lets start from the beginning, you have to be cautious there is always such terrible information flying around.

The SOS, if you just buy the most basic kit, is not a bad deal but it comes with the smallest aftercooler, the smallest radiator and bypass valve and a few other less impressive parts. If you go with Vortech you can get a all the upgraded parts with the base kit and it comes with an air intake box to help keep the intake air charge cooler.

Now there has been some debate on the tensioning mechanism between the (2) brands but I cannot offer any experience with either.

However, if you do go with a tuner kit SOS can provide EVERYTHING you need and they have EXCELLENT customer service. So for me I would purchase a Vortech, but since you are asking the question I am guessing you aren’t real knowledgeable about FI yet and you may want to speak with Chris or Jeff at SOS.

Hopefully SOS will be looking into a larger aftercooler, and an airbox in the future, then I would be recomending their kit hands down.

Good Luck
Can u shed some light on the parts u rated non impressive? I ordered the larger heat exchanger aswell as the non SL 1200. Now the only thing I'm still scratching my head over is the bypass valve, where does it mount and what is it.. Bosch? Is it easy to change to a higher quality bov? I know it's not a hard thing to do on the Vortech system.

Anything else I should consider changing Before I receive and install my kit?

One last question one step colder plugs? I hear people rant and rave on about these what is recommended? And are they easily accesible.. I'm in Sydney.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:32 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by dsddcd,Nov 23 2010, 11:03 AM

Good Luck
Yes your right there is, thanks for keeping it alive.

First off the air box doesn’t do squat or SOS would offer one, they state that clearly in their research. And considering their vast R&D, I’d say their findings are sound. It’s reasonable to think that you get better air flow without one, which makes more of a noticeable difference I personally felt. The blower gets hot well beyond what 5-10 degrees of warmer under hood temp could offset by the air box. N/A, you definitely have a point.

Second, the After cooler is one size and is not the same thing as the heat exchanger which is what your referring to with being small on the base SOS kit. The upgraded larger size heat exchanger can be had at the base level for more money. If you want to examine cost vs cost from other kits, then that could be part of the discussion as far as which kit offers a better value.

3rd, the bypass valve… otherwise known as the recirculation valve, operates as it’s suppose to, to recalculate boost back into the intake rather then blow it off. Its size is of no relevance because it does what it is suppose to do, and as far as I can tell with mine… at any boost level.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:24 PM

I just wanted something pretty damn reliable, my CTSC+AC seems to be doing well @7psi.
there is something to be said for longevity. If the Comptech product was bad, it would have died off in the previous bankruptcy, but it didn't becasue everyone wanted it, and now they have numerious compitors.

The SOS, if you just buy the most basic kit, is not a bad deal but it comes with the smallest aftercooler, the smallest radiator and bypass valve and a few other less impressive parts.
Actually, they do offer upgrades on a very adaptable kit, including a bigger heat exchanger. Not sure about the airbox complaint. Alot of set ups I have seen, on Vortech and comptech, the airbox was either not installed or left open.

I think that Kraftwerks would be even better if they would offer the C38 as an option. I have experienced both (on different cars) and still like the Kraftwerks better. Very smooth and quiet. I've had no problems yet with just over 8700miles on my kit.
I do have to say the Kraftwerks kit is extremely quite. But having said that, the reason it's quite is the supercharger is a traction driver rather than gear driven. It's my understanding that your boost is limited to 5 or 10 psi - the charger maxs out there. If you want to go bigger later, your SOL.

[QUOTE]Have a dig around the FI sub forum here. As posted above a small number of members have experienced oil starvation in the 1220SL resulting in busted 1220SL's with only a few thousand miles usage.

If going SoS go the 1200 ; in terms of user-maintenance its really no different to the 1220SL.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:38 PM
Community Organizer

In my experience dealing with SOS as far as customer service and warranty issues have been very good. Chris cares about his buisness and understands how close nit the s2000 community is. They would be my first choice in this regard.

Besides VT tapping the oil pan for some reason, Comptech and SOS run a oil return line from the blower to your stock drain plug, which I would prefer to keep things simple and effective, don't know about you.

Comptech is carb legal, where as SOS is not, if this is a concern for you with taking emission testing/inspection.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:43 PM

Besides VT tapping the oil pan for some reason, Comptech and SOS run a oil return line from the blower to your stock drain plug, which I would prefer to keep things simple and effective, don't know about you.
I would as well!

Comptech is carb legal, where as SOS is not, if this is a concern for you with taking emission testing/inspection.
It is my understanding that SOS is working on the CARB certification, but it really isn't a concern to me at this point. AS for the difference, it's pretty much why I started this poll. SOS has great customer satisfaction, but comptech has a great reputation.

Evans Tuning, a mere 5 hour drive for me, sells Comptech and he is one of the best tuners in the business. On the other hand, SOS has great service and if they help me and my tech, well - no 5 hour drive. + SOS system is much more plug and play, from what I read. Eventually I gotta finalize my buy. I am nearly 95% sure it will be SOS, but which one - I am leaning towards the one grade up kit with the Hondata ECU and larger heat exchanger. Evans does e-tune for that unit! And if I ever upgrade additional items ( like the throttle body) I can have Evans do an e-tune for $100.

Quick Reply: Which Supercharger?