S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Vortech Belt Snapped off - How to Replace quickly?

Old 12-16-2016, 03:44 AM

Received 186 Likes on 160 Posts
Unhappy Vortech Belt Snapped off - How to Replace quickly?

So guys... eventually my supercharger's belt bit the dust and did so with one loud SNAP under the hood just as I entered VTEC yesterday It wore thin over the past 2 months, slipped several times, was put back again and again until now.
The design of the blower's bracket seems poor in that there is one spacer which the belt has to go underneath of. Is there any way I can loosen that spacer just enough to get the new belt around it without having to pull the whole assembly out?

Any help appreciated.

P.S. Car drives fine NA but I notice that VTEC kicks in later than with boost. Is this a problem? Should I drive in VTEC while the blower is offline? I'm running NGK Iridum Race plugs (BKR8EIX)
Old 12-16-2016, 02:21 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't think your plugs have anything to do with your problem.
if your all stock except for what came with the kit. I would do some research on some kind of plug in diagnostic that has the ability to show the high cam switch / vtec. With boost your probably just not feeling it like u do all stock, and everything is fine. Fix the main problem first, then if ur curious on when exactly it is switching u can work that out.

As far as your belt u might have some misalignment. Make sure your not missing a washer some where. Try to inspect thoroughly the pulleys and how they align to each other.

i wouldn't be hammering on it. Especially coming from FI; no fun anyways!

Last edited by MorngWoodStewie; 12-16-2016 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-17-2016, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by MorngWoodStewie
I don't think your plugs have anything to do with your problem.
if your all stock except for what came with the kit. I would do some research on some kind of plug in diagnostic that has the ability to show the high cam switch / vtec. With boost your probably just not feeling it like u do all stock, and everything is fine. Fix the main problem first, then if ur curious on when exactly it is switching u can work that out.

As far as your belt u might have some misalignment. Make sure your not missing a washer some where. Try to inspect thoroughly the pulleys and how they align to each other.

i wouldn't be hammering on it. Especially coming from FI; no fun anyways!
thanks man. Good points. I'll hang back then. No VTEC'NG for now. Oh the sorrow!
yes engine is totally stock standard. Its just been mapped for boost and even with boost runs rich. I'll look at the pulley alignment too
Old 12-18-2016, 08:34 AM

I mentioned what plugs I'm running because I heard that they can get burned if there's no boost anymore since the fuel being injected is more than necessary for FI. Would plugs get burned in that case? Would they only burn if driven hard (WOT) or even slowly?
Old 12-18-2016, 03:02 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Just drive with lite throttle.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by E4RTH WORM JIM
Just drive with lite throttle.
Okay. I disconnected the blower from the intake yesterday and put an air filter directly on the throttle body. I want to disconnect the 5th injector to lessen the amount of fuel being injected into the cylinders while running NA. Would that make it safe to drive WOT?
Old 12-19-2016, 08:43 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

The real question is...why would you want to?

I'd focus on fixing it first, then driving it how you like.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:22 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Dreaming_S2k

seconding this. i would replace the SC belt. i wouldn't drive my car NA with an FI tune.
The following users liked this post:
Dreaming_S2k (12-20-2016)
Old 12-21-2016, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Dreaming_S2k

Because I can't hold back I wanna drive it 24/7
You make a good point though - priority is to get that belt on asap. I'm just waiting on a friend or two to come give me a hand. Doesn't look like an easy, 20 minute job no thanks to Vortech putting the lowest spacer of the bracket on the inside of the belt's route... oh man, why??? Lol
Old 12-21-2016, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by deception9
seconding this. i would replace the SC belt. i wouldn't drive my car NA with an FI tune.
FWIW it drives totally fine and quite strong NA. Still, you're right, the belt needs to go on asap. I'm getting help for that to be done hopefully next week.

Quick Reply: Vortech Belt Snapped off - How to Replace quickly?