S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Vortech sc stock 7 psi. Belt keeps coming off.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Thumbs up Vortech sc stock 7 psi. Belt keeps coming off.

Well my sc belt shredded in half the other day when doing a 3-5th gear pull on a highway.
Saw a puff of smoke from it and then smelled it and was shredded in half. Half was still on the car though and was tight still it seemed.
Anyways put a new belt on the other day. All seemed good. Did a few pulls here and there and was good. Checked the tension on it last night as was good.
Today did another 2-4th gear pull(same place lol) and this time the belt just popped off but didn't shred luckily.
So I was able to put it back on without removing the whole blower and bracket again.

So when tightening the tensioner screw it seemed like it might be stripped or something.
It would get tight and then feel like it slipped and get loose and then tight again etc.
I ended with it feeling real tight. I tightened up the nut on the back of the tensioner pulley and took it for a spin.
For some reason now the car vibrates!! I can feel it mostly in the pedals when on the gas and in the steering wheel.
Now I know it is not the axle buckets as I have that vibration as well under load but this is certainly different. As soon a I got out of my driveway I noticed it so definitely there.
Anyone know what related thing could cause that?

Figured I would make a new post for this since my ongoing vortech thread is super long and filled with lots of old issues lol.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

u should perform an exorcism to remove the daemon from your car.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Dude I know lol. Getting ridiculous! Was thinking of pulling the blower but won't want the car anymore if I do that lol. Will be too slow!
Old 09-14-2010, 08:59 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Common sense stuff like:
Check to make sure the crank pulley is not comming apart.
Check all the pulleys to make sure they spin correctly.
Take your time and check the pulley is snug to the shaft and true.
If the belt is damaged toss it and get another.
Do not drive it until you find the cause.
Sometimes pulling the unit will divulge the problem.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Would/could that lead to the vibrations I am feeling you think?
I will look through them all. Everything from what I could tell was on tight and not wobbling or anything like that.
Could anything with the tensioner screw that might be busted cause vibrations somehow? Would make sense if that is why the belt is coming loose I know.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:41 AM

You do release the lock nut on the arbor holding the pulley, adjust the screw and tighten the locknut. The adjusting screw does not hold tension. Correct?

I have seen some mounting plate wear from the interaction of the stainless and aluminum under vibrations. If the arbor lock nut is not tightened up adequately there will be excessive wear into the mounting plate and eventually the inability of the arbor to hold a set.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Coming from someone that has no experience with any sort of forced induction but thought about something that might be of some help, but is there any way that the pulleys could be misaligned to each other where it would cause the belt to pop off?

Andre
Old 09-15-2010, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by 8kGoodENuff,Sep 15 2010, 06:18 AM
Coming from someone that has no experience with any sort of forced induction but thought about something that might be of some help, but is there any way that the pulleys could be misaligned to each other where it would cause the belt to pop off?

Andre
Not a problem unless someone did a Mickey Mouse move. The kits are correct if installed correctly.

There is considerable torque on the belt accelerating and decelerating. Going from accelerating to decelerating causes a tremendous strain on the belt and at that point is when it tends to jump off the pulley. The strain allows some slack to occur on another section of the belt so it can jump off the pulley on the supercharger. Thus the importance of the lip on the pulley.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just an in-depth thought here:
but i know you were having issues with the pump before and a basic "Fuel cut". but, if you were experiencing any detonation or misfiring under load, wouldnt that cause a shudder from the engines revolution? and couldnt that shudder be causing the belt to get tossed around?

does the vortech have an Auto Tensioner that is sprung or it is a solid mount tensioner with no space for tightening or slacking?
Old 09-15-2010, 07:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by teamvalorracing,Sep 15 2010, 10:00 AM
just an in-depth thought here:
but i know you were having issues with the pump before and a basic "Fuel cut". but, if you were experiencing any detonation or misfiring under load, wouldnt that cause a shudder from the engines revolution? and couldnt that shudder be causing the belt to get tossed around?

does the vortech have an Auto Tensioner that is sprung or it is a solid mount tensioner with no space for tightening or slacking?
No this is happening since that issue was fixed so I know it's not that.

Quick Reply: Vortech sc stock 7 psi. Belt keeps coming off.