S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

06 S2000 passing emissions (IL)

Old 01-29-2017, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 S2000 passing emissions (IL)

Last summer my catalytic converter shit itself and ever since ive had a CEL for a bad lower 02 sensor. Because of this and ground clearance issues i decided to test pipe my s2000, getting rid of my catalytic converter while swapping the bad 02 sensor into the test pipe. I stored the car for the winter and this upcoming April will force me to need to get my emissions testing done on my car. I need help finding a way to pass emissions on my car, whether it be a flashpro, temporary catalytic converter, or just a new o2 sensor. Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 01-29-2017, 12:59 PM

Get a new o2 providing that it is actually junk, then get an o2 spacer. Install the spacer then install the new o2 into it. Clear the codes,drive it a few days to pass all the monitors (Illinois will let you pass with one monitor not set as long as it is not the catalyst monitor) and go pass emissions.

This is what you'll need: https://www.amazon.com/Blox-Racing-B...ords=o2+spacer
It places the rear o2 out of the flow of the exhaust so it can't actually tell that there isn't a converter in place.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:21 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey bud,

I'm in the 630 and I have my stock cat for you to use to pass emissions if you need it.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:22 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Oh, the irresponsibility! You are raping the planet. Ok, end rant.

Does IL not have a visual check for cat? In my state they look under the car to visually make sure there is a cat.

I've heard of people just bolting on the heat shields from stock cat onto tp, with something at each collar to make it fit snug. It'll look like a cat.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:17 PM

No visual inspections in Illinois. Just a check of the monitors and you're on your way.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:26 PM

Hey Tofu, im in 224, let me buy a working o2 sensor and ill message you around time when i need to take my car?
Old 01-30-2017, 07:42 PM

Received 1,248 Likes on 945 Posts

what makes you say your O2 sensor isn't working? If you get a CEL from having a test pipe...that's the O2 sensor working properly.

BTW, from your avatar and area code, I think I've seen you around Elgin/Saint Charles on my way to/from work in the summer. I have a berlina with CR lip and oem HT.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:26 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

Not sure how IL works but in the only 7 counties in Ohio that require periodic emissions testing it's nothing more than connecting to the OBDii port in the car and reading whatever is there. There are self service kiosks so there's no physical inspection by anyone. My car is registered in a non-Echeck county but I've tested it annually with my Berk high flow cat and it passes. Not surprising as the check engine light is extinguished in the panel.

-- Chuck
Old 01-31-2017, 05:25 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Not sure how IL works but in the only 7 counties in Ohio that require periodic emissions testing it's nothing more than connecting to the OBDii port in the car and reading whatever is there. There are self service kiosks so there's no physical inspection by anyone. My car is registered in a non-Echeck county but I've tested it annually with my Berk high flow cat and it passes. Not surprising as the check engine light is extinguished in the panel.

-- Chuck
Chuck, here it's just plug and play, no sniff or visual inspection. My previous g35 coupe had longtube headers and that thing was clearly not supposed to pass emissions in any way shape or form, even the guys on the emissions line could tell, but hey - no code, so I "passed". Drove away clean and clear.

Originally Posted by Lost Amusement
Hey Tofu, im in 224, let me buy a working o2 sensor and ill message you around time when i need to take my car?

No problem man, it's here if you need it.

Note though, I don't have the oem gaskets with it as they are paired on with my test pipe on the vehicle. But the cat itself has probably 8,000 miles on it at best, though that doesn't matter much, no real surface rust, should go on without an issue. Just give me a day or two advance notice, PM me if anything.

Last edited by TofuProductions; 01-31-2017 at 05:27 AM.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by B serious
what makes you say your O2 sensor isn't working? If you get a CEL from having a test pipe...that's the O2 sensor working properly.

BTW, from your avatar and area code, I think I've seen you around Elgin/Saint Charles on my way to/from work in the summer. I have a berlina with CR lip and oem HT.
the CEL came on before i test piped the car, and i read the code as a bad o2 sensor before i test piped. The bad o2 sensor is what pushed me to test pipe

and yes, I live in Elgin and work in St. Charles, but i cant remember seeing you anywhere =/

Quick Reply: 06 S2000 passing emissions (IL)