S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.
View Poll Results: What do you think about this product?
I must have it
27.52%
I like it, but don't really need it
26.15%
Someone replicate it to make it cheaper.
30.28%
It's JDM Crap
16.06%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

AP1/2 Sub Frame Rigid Collar Kit

Old 04-30-2011, 02:35 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

did the price of these drop since they first came out. I thought they were ridiculously priced last time I read about these. but 230 for the set doesn't seem that bad seeings as it is spoon- they charge 80 dollars for a oil cap that does nothing. my only concern is longevity. how many clutch changes can I do before these things warp?
Old 04-30-2011, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JDM Crap, throwing their name out in hopes that their Brand name will make you buy it.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ooo, gotta have. I would think bushings first though.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:17 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I really like the idea of these, but I just cant see paying $230 for them.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:32 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

The subframe will shift in an accident. It's pretty common to need to re-shift it even if it wasn't damaged by the impact. But in an accident, I think I'd prefer the frame to shift than the alternative: bend.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I leave here a video with the explanation of how the Sub Frame Rigid Collar Kit works:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWyUD6UXfog[/media]

Spoon says:

"The Sub Frame Rigid Collar kit is simple to fit and low cost, Rigid Collars ease into position without affecting the basic geometry of the body.
The way the Rigid Collar works is simple. Bolt holes through the chassis panel and sub frame are too big as they were designed for ease of production in the factory. When the car leaves the factory, everything is new and tight and the chassis hardly moves. After a while, the bolts become slightly looser and movement between the panels begins. This is why an older vehicle fitted with new bushes, Shocks and springs, still doesn't behave like a new car.
The Rigid Collar is an aluminium washer with a square outside Taper to increase adhesion on the Thinner flange portion in the middle. This fits between the moving panels and with a properly sized bolt (and Bolt Hole as part of the Rigid Collar) is crushed into place when tightened, joining the two panels and stopping movement forever.
S2000 Rigid Collar Kit for AP1 and AP2, this 12-piece color stability mod will improved crash safety, lower vibration reduction, prevent tire wear, indoor and outdoor noise reduction improved handling & stability."
Old 07-04-2011, 07:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You want that gap. The subframe and frame aren't perfect, and the wider holes let everything sit without being loaded. Their unevenness example is ridiculous as well. There is no way the parts are ever that crooked. If you look at the contact area of the two parts,and the fact that there are six rather large bolts, I think it's a gimmick. They're argument is that everything gets loose. Collars aren't the answer. A torque wrench and new bolts are, and even that is pretty far fetched.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SgtB
You want that gap. The subframe and frame aren't perfect, and the wider holes let everything sit without being loaded. Their unevenness example is ridiculous as well. There is no way the parts are ever that crooked. If you look at the contact area of the two parts,and the fact that there are six rather large bolts, I think it's a gimmick. They're argument is that everything gets loose. Collars aren't the answer. A torque wrench and new bolts are, and even that is pretty far fetched.
There argument isn't that everything gets loose, it's that without there diff collars installed suspension geometry is compromised straight from the factory. well maybe not compromised lol but not as precise. I've been a master certified tech for years now and seen many tweaked subframes, and really how much play and movement they have when being installed. Anytime you drop, or install a new frame, it completely throws the alignment out of wack. All because large mounting holes and small bolt diameter. The spoon collars are like the 1/2 way point between a stock subframe, and a welded subframe. All the benefits of a welded in race subframe, yet still the streetability option of removal. I'll be purchasing a set.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The holes in the subframe and the chassis are clearance holes making it easier to bolt up to each other at the factory. It's purely a simplification of the manufacturing process that provides sufficient tolerance. If the tolerance is too tight from the factory, then most of the manufacturing and assembly for the subframe and chassis would be quite expensive. That's just the nature of building anything.

These subframe collars are like hubcentric rings for your wheels. The subframe collars fill in the gap between the bolt and the hole. This decreases the potential for vibration and makes the subframe and chassis as one unit making the suspension do all the work in dampening road imperfections. It's not about how the subframe shifts according to the chassis. It's filling that dead space between the bolt and the hole. Aluminum is soft enough to deform according to each car's subframe and chassis characteristics. The surface feels and looks smooth, but the video is just an exaggeration as to why aluminum was used.

This type of modification is purely up to your own speculation. It's the same as those in the hubcentric ring crowd, aka, just torque them down properly. That's perfectly fine. This just takes the step further. In my case, I've had different passengers ride in my car and tell me I must have modified the car because they don't remember feeling the car that comfortable. I could care less about keeping the alignment true due to these collars. I consistently check my alignment prior to track days anyways and they don't change from track day to track day. However, will it improve handling characteristics? Ahh that's purely speculation as well. Who knows maybe it will. However, my car seems to dampen road imperfections better now. That alone is good for me considering most people say the CR shock valving sucks.

Edit: As for the crowd that argues about your subframe shifting in an accident anyways, well my answer to that is to drive defensively.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

In case anyone is wondering where to buy a set. We have them in stock.
http://www.gotuning.com/product_info...oducts_id=1282

Quick Reply: AP1/2 Sub Frame Rigid Collar Kit