S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Competition Clutch failure

Old 06-09-2014, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Competition Clutch failure

About a year ago and less the 10,000 miles ago I purchased/installed a Competition Clutch (kit) w/ an AP1 flywheel into my 07. It was my first mod. Now I have a little more done to the car, but not much... intake, tune, test pipe, innovative engine mounts, and as of yesterday Wheels/tires (Rs3s) and GC/Koni coilovers.

Today as I was leaving work I wound out first, shifted into second, and then it would not shift into 3rd 4th 5th nothing couldn't up shift or downshift... I pulled over into a parking lot and if I engaged the clutch pedal I would hear a metallic clicking. I had to turn the car off to put it in first, I was able to start/drive it back to work where I promptly removed the transmission.

This is what I found...

This inner spring was lodged in the pressure plate, making it impossible to shift.
Name:  IMG_0186.jpg
Views: 1671
Size:  57.0 KB
Name:  IMG_0185.jpg
Views: 1610
Size:  66.4 KB
Name:  IMG_0181.jpg
Views: 1404
Size:  58.0 KB
Name:  IMG_0182.jpg
Views: 1385
Size:  54.0 KB
This one housing failed completely, and ejected the center spring into the rotating assembly.

Name:  IMG_0184.jpg
Views: 1248
Size:  61.8 KB

you can see in these pictures it was starting to happen on two other housings

I have not contacted CC yet, I will tomorrow. I have experienced some degree of chatter since the install, but I have read a fair amount of others experiences and considered it to be normal.
Also the CompClutch through out/pilot bearings leave a lot to be desired as well, an insignificant clip cover came off of the through out bearing(still not ideal to have random parts flying around), and you could feel the pilot bearing catching, and had rough operation. I think this was the major source of my noise issue.

If anyone has had a similar problem with this or another clutch, please let me know.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Comp clutchs suck. I have had nothing but issues with them and also hear of many issues. I had a stage 4 take a shit in 4k miles. Bad surfaces on the friction material chewing up my flywheel.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:18 AM

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

This is exactly why you always want to run an oem disc. The oem disc houses the springs with much more metal. With non twin disc performance clutches you want the high holding power of the heavier after pressure plate but when useing a standard organic disc you don't want the cheep after market disc because of this exact reason.

Here is a pic of my exedy oem replacement clutch. Same thing as yours.

Name:  null_zps54f469b5.jpg
Views: 1352
Size:  1.99 MB
Name:  null_zpsce038ff8.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  1.61 MB
Name:  null_zps4446d732.jpg
Views: 1174
Size:  2.14 MB
Old 06-10-2014, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by riceball777
This is exactly why you always want to run an oem disc. The oem disc houses the springs with much more metal. With non twin disc performance clutches you want the high holding power of the heavier after pressure plate but when useing a standard organic disc you don't want the cheep after market disc because of this exact reason. Here is a pic of my exedy oem replacement clutch. Same thing as yours.
This is the truth, I was looking at my stock disk and the springs are fully incased. So I ordered a new disk, T/O bearing, and pilot bearing from Honda. So by tomorrow I'll be back on the road. With any luck I will no longer have any clutch/ flywheel noise.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:32 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, I was gonna go with a Comp stage 2 since I didn't wanna spend $450 on an ACT pressure plate alone, but now it looks like i'm going with the latter.

Thanks for posting. That sucks though man
Old 06-10-2014, 06:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup my comp stg 2 has been nothing but problems... Nothing catastrophic but I'm stuck driving my car like a corolla.... Guess I will be forking over the cash for OEM quality. Its crappy that I spent good money for a clutch that was supposed to be great and 8k later I'm considering a new new clutch.... FML at least you're back on the road soon.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:50 AM

I'm still going to run the CC pressure plate, because it's the week part of the factory setup. I originally purchased this setup because of the AP2 CDV/week pressure plate issues.

Some of the clutch issues people experience are from the rubber clutch hose. I did the Ballad Spots SS line, and it has been a wonderful well working part. I never had an issue with soggy or vague clutch feel.

If I was able to do it all over I would have just got the SS line, and the pressure plate aftermarket. (maybe Ballad or SOS) Everything else factory. I will never boost my car or be very far over stock power so that setup works perfect for my needs.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's very disappointing to see/hear. I also have a CC stage 2 clutch sitting under the bed. Maybe I should source an oem disc and eat the extra cost of the stage 2 disc.

Please keep us updated on what competition plans to do in this situation.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Warranty replacement? That disk should've lasted way longer than a year.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:47 PM

I had very similar clutch plate failure in my vehicle,[media]IMG_20140610_183459[/media] one of the springs housing structure support was sheared in the same manner.

Quick Reply: Competition Clutch failure