S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Good oil catch can

Old 03-27-2017, 11:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Good oil catch can

hey guys I was wonder what are some nice baffled catch cans around 100 dollars for the ap1 also where is a good place to install them

I have found 3 that I am thinking about so far what are your opinions

https://www.amazon.com/Primecooling-Baffled-Universal-Aluminum-Reservoir/dp/B01JOMXG2I/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1490643851&sr=8-7&keywords=baffle+catch+can

https://www.amazon.com/VMS-Racing-Universal-GUNMETAL-Reservoir/dp/B00T10GXO2/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1490643851&sr=8-8&keywords=baffle+catch+can

https://www.amazon.com/Mishimoto-MMBCC-MSTWO-BK-Compact-Baffled-2-Port/dp/B00OBEP51K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1490643851&sr=8-3&keywords=baffle+catch+can

thanks guys (:
Old 03-27-2017, 12:19 PM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Xeon
hey guys I was wonder what are some nice baffled catch cans around 100 dollars for the ap1 also where is a good place to install them

I have found 3 that I am thinking about so far what are your opinions

https://www.amazon.com/Primecooling-...ffle+catch+can

https://www.amazon.com/VMS-Racing-Un...ffle+catch+can

https://www.amazon.com/Mishimoto-MMB...ffle+catch+can

thanks guys (:
First of all you need to decide if you will be keeping the vacuum driven system, or if you will be venting to air. If going VTA, then only can #2 (VMS one) will work, if keeping the stock vacuum driven system, either 1 or 3 will work. Are you going to be venting both the crankshaft and PVC to the catch can? If so you will probably want dual cans. If I had to choose of the ones you posted, I would probably go with the Mishimoto version, I suggest you contact Moddiction on here, I'm sure he can get you a better price than Amazon.

Saikou Michi makes a good dual can setup with an easy mounting point (next to battery), but its double what you are wanting to spend: S2000 Dual OCC
Old 03-27-2017, 03:52 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

The first one, is a chinese made aluminum one and can be had for much less:
Oil Tank Baffled Universal Aluminum Oil Catch Tank Can Reservoir Tank BLUE | eBay

In my opinion, it's a very good design. A lot of the cheap oil catch cans are a single tank with the inlet and outlet barbs going to the same place without any baffling, this means it could just suck the oil vapors right out. This one has a spot for a baffle to reduce the amount of oil vapors your intake my inhale, especially if you don't run it vented - which it even comes with a little breather!!!! Next, checking the catch can level, sounds great with the ones with a clear sight tube, until that sight tube gets stained with black ass oils and you can't tell your nice new clean oil at a quick glance. This one has a dip stick, pretty damn clear how much oil is it in with a dipstick.

The coolant catch can combos are a joke, especially if you track. If you happen to be filling the catch can, they are an absolute pain in the ass to drain.

The saikou michi sounds great, unless you actually plan to track your car, then you get a chance to see what a header burn feels like when you need to drain the petcock.

On an AP2 DBW, the Cusco can is great, because we don't have a cruise control module, so it mounts perfectly like factory.

For non-DBWs, I'm not a fan of losing features like cruise control, unless the car is a trailer queen.

Mounting Locations:
For my friends, which I built off of that new baffled catch can (your #1 listing variety), he has the Megan Strut X Brace and an a K&N FIPK, with plenty of room, I used a bar clamp and an L bracket to secure it.
If you have an intake but no brace, then the front cross member makes a good mounting point that's easy to access

Pro Tip:
The tubing it comes with is absolute garbage, under vacuum it's likely to collapse, get some reinforced fuel line or pcv hose from oreilly.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:28 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm on the cusco can. If I had to it it over I would go with radium.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by gptoyz
The first one, is a chinese made aluminum one and can be had for much less:
Oil Tank Baffled Universal Aluminum Oil Catch Tank Can Reservoir Tank BLUE eBay

In my opinion, it's a very good design. A lot of the cheap oil catch cans are a single tank with the inlet and outlet barbs going to the same place without any baffling, this means it could just suck the oil vapors right out. This one has a spot for a baffle to reduce the amount of oil vapors your intake my inhale, especially if you don't run it vented - which it even comes with a little breather!!!! Next, checking the catch can level, sounds great with the ones with a clear sight tube, until that sight tube gets stained with black ass oils and you can't tell your nice new clean oil at a quick glance. This one has a dip stick, pretty damn clear how much oil is it in with a dipstick.

The coolant catch can combos are a joke, especially if you track. If you happen to be filling the catch can, they are an absolute pain in the ass to drain.

The saikou michi sounds great, unless you actually plan to track your car, then you get a chance to see what a header burn feels like when you need to drain the petcock.

On an AP2 DBW, the Cusco can is great, because we don't have a cruise control module, so it mounts perfectly like factory.

For non-DBWs, I'm not a fan of losing features like cruise control, unless the car is a trailer queen.

Mounting Locations:
For my friends, which I built off of that new baffled catch can (your #1 listing variety), he has the Megan Strut X Brace and an a K&N FIPK, with plenty of room, I used a bar clamp and an L bracket to secure it.
If you have an intake but no brace, then the front cross member makes a good mounting point that's easy to access

Pro Tip:
The tubing it comes with is absolute garbage, under vacuum it's likely to collapse, get some reinforced fuel line or pcv hose from oreilly.
can I run this can without venting to atmosphere?
Old 03-27-2017, 11:27 PM

What are some benefits of venting to atmosphere
Old 03-28-2017, 06:19 AM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

Is it okay to run pcv to catch can keeping vacuum system and run crankcase to atmosphere?
Or is there a benefit to running the crankcase back into the intake system?
Old 03-28-2017, 06:45 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

What are some benefits of venting to atmosphere
If you vent to atmosphere you have a simpler setup, you can run both lines (with the PCV either drilled out or removed) to one can. The negatives are that you will get some smell from the vented gases, and also it can get a little grimy due to the atomized oil that doesnt get trapped in the can or the filter. Also some believe that the VTA catch can isn't as efficent because it isn't utilizing the vacuum to pull the gases out of the crankcase. That being said the majority of the track guys and in most motorsport scenarios, you will see VTA setups. A VTA setup also will ensure that no oil/gasses will be added back into your air stream which can effectively cause your octane rating to drop.

Originally Posted by Mijae007
Is it okay to run pcv to catch can keeping vacuum system and run crankcase to atmosphere?
Or is there a benefit to running the crankcase back into the intake system?
Read above, you can vent both to atmosphere, or do one VTA and one vacuum system, the benefits can be argued for both, it really depends what you are comfortable with.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:52 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

can I run this can without venting to atmosphere?
yes it just gives you the option of running it vented or not; it comes with the filter and barb or a screw

If I could find universal location to mount this thing, I would just mock up a bracket and make a bunch of them for this can - I'm really impressed with how thought out it is. I'll snap some pics for you guys when I get home
Old 03-30-2017, 04:49 PM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

Okay, i just saw another members build s/c'ed. Only the crankvent went to a catch can, the pcv connected directly to the IM.
i would think if anything, run the pcv to a catch can and leave the crankvent connected to the intake arm no? Doesnt the pcv draw more oil than the crankvent?

Quick Reply: Good oil catch can