S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Invidia N1 rubbing against axle?

Old 12-31-2016, 05:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Invidia N1 rubbing against axle?

So I had found a steal online for a used dual Invidia N1, for $60 and only needing gaskets I couldn't pass up the offer. It took me maybe an hour or so to install in the garage this morning but I can't seem to get it to sit right. For starters, the mid pipe rubs against the axles (I have DriveShaft Shop 2.9 Axles and a 70mm Invidia test pipe). I have the mufflers installed and they both seem to stand out away from the holes in the bumper, towards the sides of the car. The mufflers being out of alignment I can mess with and fix, but the mid pipe still rubs up against the axles. I tried to loosen the bolts at the test pipe and so on to move it over as much as possible but it doesn't budge, just goes right back to rubbing up against the axle while driving. I've read a few threads about fitment issues, but never with the axles being a problem. Any advice here? Any way to sort of move the exhaust away from the axle? The OEM system didn't hit anything so it kinda worries me. Thanks in advanced. I can post photos in the morning when it's light out.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try it without the test pipe. Just the OEM Cat.
The issues stated seems like a defect. Hopefully its just the test pipe.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:04 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Aren't there hangers for the mid pipe?
Old 01-01-2017, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by GOGPWS2K
Try it without the test pipe. Just the OEM Cat.
The issues stated seems like a defect. Hopefully its just the test pipe.
I thought the same thing but the cat was the exact same measurements, i checked before installing it.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by TvoS2K
Aren't there hangers for the mid pipe?
There is one hanger in the midpipe, but it's not adjustable or anthing. Only thing I can think of is getting a longer rubber hanger and seeing if it drops it a little bit.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:49 AM

So a torch, a vice grip, and a lot of swearing later it doesn't rub. Never have I ever had this much trouble with an exhaust, at least it doesn't sound half bad I guess. All the hangers needed pulled up and out to let the whole system hang lower, one I even re-welded to sit a little farther to one side.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lochness Monsta
So a torch, a vice grip, and a lot of swearing later it doesn't rub. Never have I ever had this much trouble with an exhaust, at least it doesn't sound half bad I guess. All the hangers needed pulled up and out to let the whole system hang lower, one I even re-welded to sit a little farther to one side.
was this incident causing you to hear a knocking/clunk sound at low speed? (First gear), and while turning? I think this is my issue as i had the exhaust installed 2 days ago
Old 02-02-2017, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by deshan_mk6
was this incident causing you to hear a knocking/clunk sound at low speed? (First gear), and while turning? I think this is my issue as i had the exhaust installed 2 days ago
I didn't hear any clunking or knocking from this, it was more of a lower pitch metal to metal grinding sound that I could only hear at lower speeds or when I was coasting in neutral. If you're hearing a clunking or knocking in first gear I would personally look in to suspension parts, mainly bushings, to see if anything is torn. It could just be impeccable timing.