S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Questions about the Duraflex Forbidden OEM Style Hardtop

Old 02-09-2017, 05:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about the Duraflex Forbidden OEM Style Hardtop

Been looking to get a hardtop for my S2000. I really only favor the OEM style tops, and the only OEM tops I know of that are still in production are Forbidden and Duraflex. I was wondering what the pros and cons were to these 2 tops, and if there are any others you might know of. I want to paint the top to match my car, but I am still willing to consider carbon fiber tops if you think they provide some functional qualities. I know they are lighter (and stronger) but I don't know to what degree. What I mainly want to get out of this is a larger back window to reduce my blind spots, and the aesthetics of course. And perhaps reducing road noise. I have tried contacting Forbidden by phone and email, but haven't been able to get in touch with them. Does any know the best way to get in touch with them?

Also some questions about s2000 hardtops:
  1. What is Double Sided carbon fiber?
    • I assume that it refers to a interior and exterior shell so that the top doesn't have an unfinished looking interior, but I'm not sure. Googling "What is double sided Carbon Fiber" only shows me money clips >_> Also does the fiber reinforced plastic variants not have this option?
  2. On Forbidden's FRP top, what is the "2 Tone Paint (OEM Honda Appearance)" option?
    • I haven't seen any hardtop s2000's with obviously 2 tone painted tops so this confuses me.
  3. Is the OEM Glass back window compatible with any OEM style tops?)
    • I have doubts to how well plastic windows will hold up to sun, washing, and just general weathering.
  4. What is the deal with all the different kinds of brackets.
    • Why are there so many?
    • What is the best one?
Duraflex: https://www.carid.com/duraflex/oem-s...Ib8aAg9R8P8HAQ
Forbidden: OEM Style Hardtops

Please let me know if I should move this or if its redundant. Thanks.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Most of these can be answered with a little more research.

1. Double sided carbon is what it sounds like, the outside of the top is carbon as well as the inside. Single sided means the inside is just plain black gelcoat.

2. The answer to this is in forbidden's oem top thread inside the sponsor marketplace. 2 tone means the area around the side windows is painted black to make it look like the oem tops window moldings.

3. This would be a question for the manufacturer. Same thread mentioned above says the OEM glass will fit the forbidden top.

4. There are "so many" because the oem hardware is expensive. Basically you have oem, which uses the soft top or soft top style latches for the front and a 2 piece design in the rear that makes it easier to remove the top. Then oem replica hardware. Then "street" which are bolt in one piece brackets that allow you to keep the soft top in it. Then "race" which are again bolt in brackets but do not allow you to keep the soft top installed. Theres also bolt in brackets for the front instead of the latches. I would say most people use the "street" brackets for the rear and the soft top latches in the front (this is the cheapest, as you already have the soft top latches) or oem/oem style hardware.

Last edited by AE_Racer; 02-09-2017 at 06:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
rj.baker (10-19-2022)
Old 02-09-2017, 06:45 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by AE_Racer
Most of these can be answered with a little more research.

1. Double sided carbon is what it sounds like, the outside of the top is carbon as well as the inside. Single sided means the inside is just plain black gelcoat.

2. The answer to this is in forbidden's oem top thread inside the sponsor marketplace. 2 tone means the area around the side windows is painted black to make it look like the oem tops window moldings.

3. This would be a question for the manufacturer. Same thread mentioned above says the OEM glass will fit the forbidden top.

4. There are "so many" because the oem hardware is expensive. Basically you have oem, which uses the soft top or soft top style latches for the front and a 2 piece design in the rear that makes it easier to remove the top. Then oem replica hardware. Then "street" which are bolt in one piece brackets that allow you to keep the soft top in it. Then "race" which are again bolt in brackets but do not allow you to keep the soft top installed. Theres also bolt in brackets for the front instead of the latches. I would say most people use the "street" brackets for the rear and the soft top latches in the front (this is the cheapest, as you already have the soft top latches) or oem/oem style hardware.

He hit most of the questions you asked.

Keep in mind, there are also other vendors for hardtop, for my Mugen style I went with Rockstar Garage; both Justin and Stephen were great from start to finish, even had them pre paint mine before shipping and the color match on my Rio was perfect. Fitment was extremely good.

There is also BalladeSports too, they offer great products as well.

I was going to buy through Forbidden as well, but some of the questions he answered for me (or lacking thereof) put me off, so he did not receive my business.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:44 AM

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

I'd go Forbidden over Duraflex, my top is great.

Ballade has a new all CF top with OEM seals that looks really good as well. A bit more expensive than other OEM reps, but the OEM seals are not cheap and much better than what you usually get.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look into the Ballade Sports V2 hardtop. Looks nice with the OEM style moulding. The door seals are a lot nicer too.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:39 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Just ordered my Single Sided CF Mugen style from Forbidden... Will chime in when I get it.. should be in a while though.

Reached them by email. Took 3 days to reply to my initial email but after that they were quick on the responses.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:14 AM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

By the time you add oem glass, oem hardware and oem seals. You might as well have got a used oem top in the first place, if you ever decide to sell your oem hardtop you won't lose much money (if you don't make money) since they are discontinued.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by acklavidian
Been looking to get a hardtop for my S2000. I really only favor the OEM style tops, and the only OEM tops I know of that are still in production are Forbidden and Duraflex. I was wondering what the pros and cons were to these 2 tops, and if there are any others you might know of. I want to paint the top to match my car, but I am still willing to consider carbon fiber tops if you think they provide some functional qualities. I know they are lighter (and stronger) but I don't know to what degree. What I mainly want to get out of this is a larger back window to reduce my blind spots, and the aesthetics of course. And perhaps reducing road noise. I have tried contacting Forbidden by phone and email, but haven't been able to get in touch with them. Does any know the best way to get in touch with them?

Also some questions about s2000 hardtops:
  1. What is Double Sided carbon fiber?
    • I assume that it refers to a interior and exterior shell so that the top doesn't have an unfinished looking interior, but I'm not sure. Googling "What is double sided Carbon Fiber" only shows me money clips >_> Also does the fiber reinforced plastic variants not have this option?
  2. On Forbidden's FRP top, what is the "2 Tone Paint (OEM Honda Appearance)" option?
    • I haven't seen any hardtop s2000's with obviously 2 tone painted tops so this confuses me.
  3. Is the OEM Glass back window compatible with any OEM style tops?)
    • I have doubts to how well plastic windows will hold up to sun, washing, and just general weathering.
  4. What is the deal with all the different kinds of brackets.
    • Why are there so many?
    • What is the best one?
Duraflex: https://www.carid.com/duraflex/oem-s...Ib8aAg9R8P8HAQ
Forbidden: OEM Style Hardtops

Please let me know if I should move this or if its redundant. Thanks.
Regardless of whatever you choose, don't forget to message me first. I'm a member over here and will quote you out for your knowledge.

Talk to you soon.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what did you end up choosing!?!?!?!
Old 04-07-2018, 11:13 AM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

I was under the impression that most of the replica CF hardtops were just their same FRP top with an extra layer of CF on the outside, so they are actually heaver than the FRP version.