S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Spring and Retainers Upgrade Options

Old 01-08-2017, 01:08 PM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Spring and Retainers Upgrade Options

Alright, Ive searched for aftermarket valvetrain upgrades and only came up with a few older threads on this topic.
I want to make an informative thread on these options as i had some trouble finding enough info to make a comfortable decision; and input from any experienced owners would be great.
This page from 4piston was very helpful.
http://4piston.startlogic.com/valves...pringsEVO.html
I have a 2008 ap2 running stock cams and was only interested in upgrading springs and retainers at this time to maintain high revs and increased safety. As you guys all know, our options boil down to single spring vs dual spring among different manufacturers.

PSI single springs seem to be the ideal pick being itll provide the lowest harmonics due to its innate single spring design. And theyre so robust itll allow up to 11k rpm durability (according to 4piston). This is a nice cushion for overevs. Downside is highest price. And if spring fails, no secondary spring to prevent the valve from dropping and completely ruining head and block.
Similar options: Ferrea beehive and Supertech beehive

Supertech dual springs seem to be the most practical option as its cheap and has been proven by many users. For most of us (who daily drive), these are probably safe to go with since itll provide increased rev to 9.5k cushion.

Is this fair to assume? Im leaning towards supertech duals for now (mainly due to value) but was curious as to longevity and characterisitcs of them for daily use. Im not a prostock racer or crazy drag/track racer thatll abuse them to the point of needing a replacement every 5-10 runs. I daily my s2000 and go on spirited drives and local tracks once-twice per year.

Also are there any maintenance required with springs/retainers? Do they require break-in or valve adjustments or routine replacement after some time/mileage?

I should mention that im boosted (turbocharged) as this would probably alter suggestions to upgrading the valvetrain.

Last edited by Mijae007; 01-08-2017 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:11 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

As far as springs go a good fresh set of OEM would be my pick.
As well as guides n retainers if ur driving it like u say.
valve metallurgy and brand is what I would not skip on for function. Things that like or control heat better and weight will help.

​​​

Last edited by MorngWoodStewie; 01-08-2017 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by MorngWoodStewie
As far as springs go a good fresh set of OEM would be my pick.
​​​
Sorry i didnt mention it being boosted. Im a huge believer of oem for factory or near factory setups. But for boosted applications with increased rpm speed and repetitive hitting of redline, 2step, etc, dont we need something stronger than oem? I was hoping to gather some info from owners who have successful and/or unsuccessful use of aftermarket springs/retainers both in short and long term conditions.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:49 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Mijae007
Alright, Ive searched for aftermarket valvetrain upgrades and only came up with a few older threads on this topic.
I want to make an informative thread on these options as i had some trouble finding enough info to make a comfortable decision; and input from any experienced owners would be great.
This page from 4piston was very helpful.
4 Piston Racing::Valve Springs
I have a 2008 ap2 running stock cams and was only interested in upgrading springs and retainers at this time to maintain high revs and increased safety. As you guys all know, our options boil down to single spring vs dual spring among different manufacturers.

PSI single springs seem to be the ideal pick being itll provide the lowest harmonics due to its innate single spring design. And theyre so robust itll allow up to 11k rpm durability (according to 4piston). This is a nice cushion for overevs. Downside is highest price. And if spring fails, no secondary spring to prevent the valve from dropping and completely ruining head and block.
Similar options: Ferrea beehive and Supertech beehive

Supertech dual springs seem to be the most practical option as its cheap and has been proven by many users. For most of us (who daily drive), these are probably safe to go with since itll provide increased rev to 9.5k cushion.

Is this fair to assume? Im leaning towards supertech duals for now (mainly due to value) but was curious as to longevity and characterisitcs of them for daily use. Im not a prostock racer or crazy drag/track racer thatll abuse them to the point of needing a replacement every 5-10 runs. I daily my s2000 and go on spirited drives and local tracks once-twice per year.

Also are there any maintenance required with springs/retainers? Do they require break-in or valve adjustments or routine replacement after some time/mileage?

I should mention that im boosted as this would probably alter suggestions to upgrading the valvetrain.
i am assuming u r superchargered? If u r not u don't need to
upgrade. If u r , go with supertech dual spring with titanium retainer and seat. The best !
Old 01-08-2017, 10:50 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Those single psi springs probably up the closed and open pressure a bunch.
and if a spring breaks on a dual I doubt the smaller one would actually save anything.
I just try not to re engineer something that was designed by Honda's A Team.
If u have stock redline and stock cams, I would stick with OEM springs.
valve material and seat material especially on the Exhaust Side will be the money maker.
Most stock Honda valves will actually flow better than aftermarket because of the bowl they have on the bottom, but ur FI so that doesn't factor as much.
I have a fully built H22 with an entire skunk2 pro series valve train, cams, everything.
I'm just saying, I would go for a wicked valve made for fi, the beryllium seats might be overkill, but will help with heat for things like 2 step for ex.
And an awesome seat cut to compliment everything.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by MorngWoodStewie
Those single psi springs probably up the closed and open pressure a bunch.
and if a spring breaks on a dual I doubt the smaller one would actually save anything.
I just try not to re engineer something that was designed by Honda's A Team.
If u have stock redline and stock cams, I would stick with OEM springs.
valve material and seat material especially on the Exhaust Side will be the money maker.
Most stock Honda valves will actually flow better than aftermarket because of the bowl they have on the bottom, but ur FI so that doesn't factor as much.
I have a fully built H22 with an entire skunk2 pro series valve train, cams, everything.
I'm just saying, I would go for a wicked valve made for fi, the beryllium seats might be overkill, but will help with heat for things like 2 step for ex.
And an awesome seat cut to compliment everything.
the supertech spring iv seen on 1000whp cars b4 never a prob. Iv never seen them fail and I see them used all the time. I'm only saying upgrading the springs and retainers. Not the valves. Keep the valves stock. And the f22 is a different monster from any other Honda motor period.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:00 AM

Thanks for your input guys. Im only looking to upgrade springs and retainers at the moment. My dilemma is choosing between the supertech duals (cheaper) vs psi single (seems to be the better option but not sure if its worth the $400-500 higher price). Ive rarely heard of supertech duals failing except for in cases when aftermarket cams were used and improperly paired with the wrong springs for clearance. Sooo...yea...torn between the two options and was hoping you guys would convince me one way or the other.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Mijae007
Thanks for your input guys. Im only looking to upgrade springs and retainers at the moment. My dilemma is choosing between the supertech duals (cheaper) vs psi single (seems to be the better option but not sure if its worth the $400-500 higher price). Ive rarely heard of supertech duals failing except for in cases when aftermarket cams were used and improperly paired with the wrong springs for clearance. Sooo...yea...torn between the two options and was hoping you guys would convince me one way or the other.
Psi springs I have never delt with up here in north California. Supertech I have used b4 and seen used b4. For the price and reliability the supertech cannot be beaten. As far as these things breaking goes, iv never seen these things fail and I run GTA national races. My fellow S2k owners that I know here all use supertech springs and they beat the crap out of their motors. Always in redline with 20psi of boost for over 1hr each session. These kits have my trust.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:55 PM

Nice supertech it is! My tuner just suggested dual spring setup for my stock cams at 95lb pressure springs.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same probleem choosing ferrea or supertech. I went for ferrea... Little bit more expensive, but they guarantee you a new engine if you blow yours due to their failing product.

Really nice stuff