S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

260whp with bolt ons, cams and headwork?!?

Old 08-24-2016, 07:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I calibrate test instruments for a living. What I think is weird is that there are no published accuracy specifications for these different dynos. I might be able to source them if I found the right engineer but they are not readily available on their respective sites. (I looked up mustang and dynapack) All I could find for specs were max loads they could handle (torque, hp, weight, rpm) So if there's no accuracy specifications available then how are they calibrated? Why is a dyno 9.1% different than another is beyond me when it comes to giving the client accurate numbers. It's like saying pumping 93 Octane at Shell vs Wawa at the same price will yield you a significant difference in the amount of fuel you get. They shouldn't as both are inspected by the Dept of Agriculture so you don't get ripped off. I do not know if dynamometers require a calibration like airport scales, gas pumps or precision clocks but now I'm curious as I'm about to get my car tuned in a week and will ask these questions. Just seems like they all should be standardized to what their manufacturer specs them at so you get reliable numbers.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:39 AM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by truancy143
I calibrate test instruments for a living. What I think is weird is that there are no published accuracy specifications for these different dynos. I might be able to source them if I found the right engineer but they are not readily available on their respective sites. (I looked up mustang and dynapack) All I could find for specs were max loads they could handle (torque, hp, weight, rpm) So if there's no accuracy specifications available then how are they calibrated? Why is a dyno 9.1% different than another is beyond me when it comes to giving the client accurate numbers. It's like saying pumping 93 Octane at Shell vs Wawa at the same price will yield you a significant difference in the amount of fuel you get. They shouldn't as both are inspected by the Dept of Agriculture so you don't get ripped off. I do not know if dynamometers require a calibration like airport scales, gas pumps or precision clocks but now I'm curious as I'm about to get my car tuned in a week and will ask these questions. Just seems like they all should be standardized to what their manufacturer specs them at so you get reliable numbers.

Church's uses a HUB dyno. So no rollers. You take the wheels off and bolt it directly to the dyno. It's safer and easier to use. But you loose the whole rolling resistance bit so Dynapaks tend to read higher
Old 08-25-2016, 11:09 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrsideways
Originally Posted by truancy143' timestamp='1472096631' post='24047179

Church's uses a HUB dyno. So no rollers. You take the wheels off and bolt it directly to the dyno. It's safer and easier to use. But you loose the whole rolling resistance bit so Dynapaks tend to read higher
Makes sense. With an average drivetrain loss of 17%, there is half of it right there. Account for another 8% through the driveline and transmission and you are getting crank hp figures on Churches Dyno.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:18 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You are not getting crank numbers, that is impossible on any dyno but an engine dyno, you still have everything but the wheels sapping power (transmission, driveshaft, diff, etc). This isn't an engine dyno, it's a hub dyno. Figure 17% loss for RWD, and Church's dyno reading 9.1% high, that equates to 7.9% loss on his dyno, which means if you want to find crank numbers, take your number at Church and multiply by 1.079.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:11 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by michaelnyden
You are not getting crank numbers, that is impossible on any dyno but an engine dyno, you still have everything but the wheels sapping power (transmission, driveshaft, diff, etc). This isn't an engine dyno, it's a hub dyno. Figure 17% loss for RWD, and Church's dyno reading 9.1% high, that equates to 7.9% loss on his dyno, which means if you want to find crank numbers, take your number at Church and multiply by 1.079.
Reading comprehension is your friend
Old 08-25-2016, 03:09 PM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

Dynos will show changes. These depend on alterations and climate conditions. Same car on two different days will give different numbers. Take it across the street to a different dyno and use the higher number. I'm sure it's good business practice to market a dyno that gives the largest number and suspect some folks seek out these dynos for warm fluffy feelings about having the most power.

If the Mustang dyno that recorded 221bhp for my car reads 10% lower than some other dyno can I claim 243bhp at the rear wheels? Yep, that's my new number -- 243!

-- Chuck
Old 08-25-2016, 03:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrsideways
Originally Posted by truancy143' timestamp='1472096631' post='24047179

Rolling resistance doesn't account for a 9% loss....
Old 08-25-2016, 03:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Everyone watch this lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMJ5tJ1RyNI
Old 08-25-2016, 05:53 PM
Community Organizer

No one here with an N/A s2000 or even moderately boosted s2000 is spinning tires to skew the results form a hub to roller dyno. % of hub dyno reading higher is up for debate, but logic says its going to read higher regardless, based on less less duty the engine has to move to get a reading. A 1000whp Supra will be skewed due to traction, sure. And 9% of 1000whp is a hell of a lot more then 9% on 260whp as well. Just sayin.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by K20iVTEC
Very good video. I did not know dynapacks lacked rollers as I've never seen one. I get now why they naturally read higher. I suppose as long as the dyno has an ISO 9001 compliant calibration than you can be confident the numbers are accurate.

Quick Reply: 260whp with bolt ons, cams and headwork?!?