S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Aftermarket cams reliability

Old 11-14-2016, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket cams reliability

After reading dozens of threads on either BC cams or skunk2 cams, there were too many mixed results on if they made power or not. Putting aside the fact that if aftermarket cams do make power or not, are they reliable? I did not want to go this route initially but I have ran out of bolt on mods that I can possibly do, excluding the skunk2 manifold that finally got released today. I have heard stories of issues with rocker arm clearance, loud noises, and an increase of aluminum in oil after sending to the lab to analyze the oil.

So my question is, are aftermarket cams reliable for the car, or will they reduce the longevity of the motor? I have a set of bc stage 2 cams sitting around and not 100 percent sure on installing them yet. Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:22 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Good question
Old 11-15-2016, 05:30 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

the cams do make power. Skunk2 and BC stage 2.
My bud who tracks his car a lot had some materials show up in his oil reports from BCs. Once he removed them the wear was gone but he did make close to 15-20whp IIRC.

I have Skunk2 to install soon. These made 15WHP recently on my other buds track car about 2 weeks ago.

More important, where is this Skunk2 manifold being released info!!!??? lol
Old 11-15-2016, 05:39 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Cams installed less than 2 years, Track only car so no real daily. Couldn't have been more than 6000 total miles. Was getting aluminum in my oil analysis. Found where it was coming from.
Old 11-15-2016, 05:43 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

^^ Thats the guy I was taking about....good morning bro!!

more research hhahahaha wait till later after I text you guys 30 milion times on finding lmao

But really, do stiff springs cause more wear?
Old 11-15-2016, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by f20kills
the cams do make power. Skunk2 and BC stage 2.
My bud who tracks his car a lot had some materials show up in his oil reports from BCs. Once he removed them the wear was gone but he did make close to 15-20whp IIRC.

I have Skunk2 to install soon. These made 15WHP recently on my other buds track car about 2 weeks ago.

More important, where is this Skunk2 manifold being released info!!!??? lol
The skunk2 manifold got released through a vendor on facebook yesterday. https://www.facebook.com/XPerformanceLLC/. They are in the process of a group buy right now for 750. Apparently they make almost 20whp so i was thinking about returning my cams and getting the manifold instead for more peace of mind.

My car is a 06 ap2, and it is not my daily but i do drive it often. I would like the car to go for 100k miles with the cams in it if it's possible.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by ddess

Cams installed less than 2 years, Track only car so no real daily. Couldn't have been more than 6000 total miles. Was getting aluminum in my oil analysis. Found where it was coming from.
Wow. did you remove the cams after you saw that? Do you think the wear would continue or would it stay like that?
Old 11-15-2016, 11:51 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had crazy slap chain issues with the skunk2 cams and valvetrain. Took the cams out and put the oem Back in , no slap. Then put the BC2 with the oem valvetrain , no issues.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:55 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I removed the cams from my oil analysis telling me something was wrong. The cams were the only thing I changed. Since it was aluminum in the oil I went to the head first and these are what I found. Most can catch a finger nail on the grooves.

My buddy has had a theory that I don't agree with but I'll put it up. He thinks the supertech dual springs were the cause since they have more pressure than stock or even the beehives. I call bologna but it's out of my expertise.

My theory is the cam oil journals weren't perfectly round or the tolerances were greater than stock.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:34 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I can't speak to wear as I haven't gotten around to doing an oil analysis, but the BC Stage 2 cams with stock valvetrain made power on my 2006.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket cams reliability