S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Cams that actually make power?

Old 10-23-2014, 02:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wadzii - You're shop is getting into the cam game? When do you think you will have them to market?
Old 10-24-2014, 10:26 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by wadzii
F20 cores are tough to get but we are working on it. These motors stand to pick up tons of power with a good cam
Great news, I know they will be top quality.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:20 AM

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by wadzii
F20 cores are tough to get but we are working on it. These motors stand to pick up tons of power with a good cam
This is not the first time I have seen a vendor say the same thing about the F20 cams. What makes it so difficult to obtain the cores?
Old 10-29-2014, 11:03 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Let me rephrase... Its not hard just expensive. We just don't have 20k to invest in cores.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:06 PM
svm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Feezy
Originally Posted by wadzii' timestamp='1414099543' post='23380625
This is not the first time I have seen a vendor say the same thing about the F20 cams. What makes it so difficult to obtain the cores?
hello,

in most cases the cores have to be made, not obtained because if someone puts the effort into making a certain kind of core for a particular engine, they would be a fool to let others use the same material. It would the equivalent of mugen or spoon letting rota use the same forgings or say tein selling cylinders to ground control. Cores are the foundation of a great cam. Without a good foundation, you can have the best designs in the world and chances are that the cam will fail or be at fault for some other short of failure.

In order to engineer a proper set of cams, there are many many things to consider. Valve motion is the most important but before you even start looking at valve motion and measuring a s2000 head, you have to start the engineering on the cores.

So the timeline for development looks a little bit like this

-analysis of s2000 head, measuring of everything and making a complete geometric model for the ways the valve behave in relation to the rotation of the cams.. because in the end, the cams do not matter as much as the motion of the valves that makes the power.

-flowbenching the s2000 head with header, without header, with intake, without intake, with intake and header and without them in order for us to see how air in handled by the s2000 head

-measuring the stock cams on a digital measuring device and making blueprints in order to reproduce the cams. We are lucky that the s2000 cams unlike the kseries cams, have the same length on both intake and exhaust with very small differences.

When we start to make a s2000 camshaft out of billet we start with a bar that is around 430.213 mm long and when the camshaft is completelly finished we are shooting for around 426.618 mm

These are actual numbers. To arrive at these conclusions, hours and hours of R&D had to take place.

Once you have all these things I just mentioned, an experienced designer can start designing lobe profiles. Every set of cams has 4. Intake and exhaust vtec and novtec (low speed lobe)

The geometry of the kseries head vs the s2000 head is similar but also very different. The biggest difference is the diameter of the roller. Its around 0.905 inches vs 0.944 for kseries. That small difference means that the ratio for the rollers is different. So using kseries lobe designs for fseries engines might give some results but it is not the way to improve the engine based on engineering design.

Most of the legwork for this engine was done in 2005-6 by a Nascar engine builder. It took him a lot of time to do it all and do it right. Unfortunately after the issues IPS cam brand had, it closed its doors and never paid its bills so the complete s2000 work stayed with the designer.

Around 2010, I started working at the camshaft factory as an apprentice with the designer (not IPS owner, the designer that did a lot of the design work for IPS among other brands) and towards the end before he left the business to retire he pretty much wanted to destroy the original work and masters since he never got paid for them and wanted to use them for some other project.. Regrind the masters with new designs etc... So at the time, I had to make a tough decision and I paid him around $4000 in cash to keep the designs and R&D information along with all the information I would need to make these cams some day. I had some major obstacles to overcome but I managed finally to make my honda kseries cores and I am slowly speeding up production for k20 and k24a cams.. So a few of the fine people from s2ki posting on this thread have asked my help in bringing life to the s2000 cams.

I strongly believe that we need to test a few sets to show the real potential of the s2000 engine. Urge, B.r.i.a.n , jason (wadzii) are all great enthusiasts and they are the real reason I am considering doing this on my own without the community having to bear time wasting groub buys for cams of unknown origin and design.

We never copy, we only make things from nothing and I promise you that we will try to help out if we can with the production of s2000 cams.

Because our machines are already programmed to make kseries cams, we will use same material and same procedure with a different program for dimensions. It will be made, cut, heat treated right here in Minnesota and hopefuly our s2ki friends will keep you in the loop. I also have a great relationship with john at hytech and larry and endyn so whoever wants to be part of this venture, our door is open.

if you guys want, I can share the flow data we have collected along with other bits of information that make the s2000 engine very intriguing.

Honda cam design for s2000 engine was superior vs the kseries cam shaft design. They really messed up with the kseries angle between the vtec and non vtec lobe but they gt it totally right with the s2000. That difference in angle is important to eliminate the vtec dip so we have managed to incorporate lessons from s2000 cam design into the kseries line.

thank you and best of luck in your projects

The following users liked this post:
Chibo (01-04-2019)
Old 10-30-2014, 10:24 PM
svm

This should be very close to the first set we will test as a "stage 2"

These are actual specs. Not advertised
Old 10-31-2014, 07:07 PM

This is pretty incredible didn't know how much effort, knowledge, and r&d actually went into producing a proper cam. How soon can we expect a csm from you guys. How many stages will we see as well.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some actual facts after years of hearsay. Best news I have heard for the n/a crowd.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What is the release date for these?
Old 11-11-2014, 12:30 PM

Received 411 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by 7rrivera7
What is the release date for these?
5th quarter of the space year, around Febtember 33rd.

Quick Reply: Cams that actually make power?