S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

CNC Speedshop 2.4 liter stroker kit installed but making LESS power than before

Old 11-25-2016, 11:05 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by eMotion
What do you mean by "it should have leaked like crazy". What can this leak lead to? When we took down the oil pan there was no noticable damage to the bearings or rods. There were no metal particles or other contaminants in the oil. A slight scoring on one of the cylinders near the base (close to the crankshaft) could be noticed. My block is a AP1 block. Is there a possibility that this block will work fine with the CNC 2.4 ltr stroker kit without the notching? Or do you think I should definitely open the bottom end and do the notching?
Without de pin the oil should exit freely trought the rocker and create a pressure loss.

As far as notching , like I said , I don't know much about it . Please someone correct me on this. But with the oil pan off you can see the bottom off the cylinders where it should hit ??
Old 11-25-2016, 03:24 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky

3# ***IS VTEC ENGAGING???***
Old 11-26-2016, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porting of stock engine head

I couldn't really feel vtec engaging while driving. There was a slight bump in the dyno curve around vtec point. My mapper thinks I don't have Vtec on at least one of my camshafts, probably the exhaust one.
Now I plan to install the Brian Crower stage 2 camshafts with stock springs and new BC steel retainers. Do you know if there is something different that needs to be known when installing thw BC camshafts compared to the oem camshafts?
My other very important question is: do you know if the stock head support horse power up to the 270-280 whp? With the BC stage 2 camshafts and expect and hope to reach the 270-280 whp but I don't know if the head will require porting for that power level? Will I be always better off with porting the head or porting is really neccessary above the 290 whp power level when ITBs are installed.

Last edited by eMotion; 11-26-2016 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Adding text
Old 11-26-2016, 11:43 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

I couldn't really feel vtec engaging while driving. There was a slight bump in the dyno curve around vtec point. My mapper thinks I don't have Vtec on at least one of my camshafts, probably the exhaust one.
Now I plan to install the Brian Crower stage 2 camshafts with stock springs and new BC steel retainers. Do you know if there is something different that needs to be known when installing thw BC camshafts compared to the oem camshafts?
My other very important question is: do you know if the stock head support horse power up to the 270-280 whp? With the BC stage 2 camshafts and expect and hope to reach the 270-280 whp but I don't know if the head will require porting for that power level? Will I be always better off with porting the head or porting is really neccessary above the 290 whp power level when ITBs are installed.
If I were you, I would put the new cams on the counter as to not further complicate things until you can get the stock cams/vtec working properly/engine putting down what its supposed to and have it earn your trust before worrying about trying to get every little bit of hp out of it (which those cams may/may not do) Having your engine builder take responsibility for the clear mistake/oversight wile he is counting his lucky stars no engine damage occurred wile that roller found its way down the front timing cover and into your pan is a priority, or he would replacing your engine on top of tearing it down for free. None of this troubleshooting should be costing you anything I do hope, now that its been discovered what the problem is. These parts dont just fall out randomly, its on the engine builder. Get this all sorted out and on the up and up first, worrying about aftermarket cams later if your not happy with the output after its working properly.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 11-26-2016 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:40 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the CNC kit on an 01, my head was ported by RLZEnigneering, stock valves with Supertech valve seals and beehive springs. The car makes 268whp with stock cams, stock header and intake manifold, I think you will need head work to make 270whp. We think we need more flow from the IM before installing cams, it seems that the IM is the hold up as far as making more power on my car. We've been waiting on the Skunk2 IM to come out, but Jason has introduced an adapter for the Kseries Skunk 2. I hope by spring Skunk will have their IM released and I'll have a choice between Jason's setup and Skunks.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:32 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If I were you, I would put the new cams on the counter as to not further complicate things until you can get the stock cams/vtec working properly/engine putting down what its supposed to and have it earn your trust before worrying about trying to get every little bit of hp out of it (which those cams may/may not do) Having your engine builder take responsibility for the clear mistake/oversight wile he is counting his lucky stars no engine damage occurred wile that roller found its way down the front timing cover and into your pan is a priority, or he would replacing your engine on top of tearing it down for free. None of this troubleshooting should be costing you anything I do hope, now that its been discovered what the problem is. These parts dont just fall out randomly, its on the engine builder. Get this all sorted out and on the up and up first, worrying about aftermarket cams later if your not happy with the output after its working properly.
Ditto.

I am continually astounded by the naivety here. Find the problem first by addressing one part or question at a time, cross it off or fix it, verify, then move to the next thing. The last thing you should be doing is swapping parts for more HP when you obviously have something wrong here.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Sylvain2000
Without de pin the oil should exit freely trought the rocker and create a pressure loss.

As far as notching , like I said , I don't know much about it . Please someone correct me on this. But with the oil pan off you can see the bottom off the cylinders where it should hit ??
Does this pressure loss happen mainly in the head of the engine? If so, then it can lead to excessive wear of head components like camshafts and rockers. Am I right?
Old 12-03-2016, 09:34 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Does this pressure loss happen mainly in the head of the engine? If so, then it can lead to excessive wear of head components like camshafts and rockers. Am I right?
That is what I think
Old 12-05-2016, 07:54 PM

Received 403 Likes on 338 Posts

To install hotter cams you have to make a small modification to the underside of the rocker arms. Did you get this resolved?

Last edited by Slowcrash_101; 12-05-2016 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:08 AM

Default Nitched cylinders but still only 225 whp

Hi again, I finally fixed the problem with notching the cylinders and installed an endyn intake manifold 4 inch CAI, ported head, BC stage 2 camshafts with BC double springs and this time I had Vtec starting at 3500 rpm but made only 225 whp and 240 nm at 6500 rpm. The engine is keeping the power graph flat from 6500 to 7500 rpm and then starts to drop. I still wonder why it will not make more power above 6500 rpm. At least this time the engine is about 13 whp and 38 nm stronger than the power before all these mods. Does any have any idea what might be wrong this time or had any similar experience?

Last edited by eMotion; 03-12-2017 at 04:14 AM. Reason: Insert additional picture

Quick Reply: CNC Speedshop 2.4 liter stroker kit installed but making LESS power than before