S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

CT Icebox vs k&N filter installed on throttle body

Old 08-26-2016, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CT Icebox vs k&N filter installed on throttle body

My current intake setup is a K&n filter attached directly on the throttle body. I tried The comptech icebox and I have mixed results with the Comptech setup vs my K&N filter installed on the throttle body. My car has a vented hood, and when I run the K&N filter on the throttle body. The filter is next to one of the vents. I am assuming some air get into the filter from the vent.

Here are my finding.

When comparing the two setups, The only 2 Positives about the CT intake are: Smooth power delivery and quieter.

With the K&N filter installed directly onto the throttle body, I noticed the throttle response is a lot quicker, torque seems a lot higher, vtec engagement feels a lot stronger.

The question I have to everyone, Is this just a feeling?

is running the filter directly next to the throttle body the best idea?
Old 08-28-2016, 03:38 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Ur most deffly sucking in hot engine air. If it's all stock & untuned, run whatever makes you feel better about your ride.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:22 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Outside air is normally less hot (hard to say cooler this summer) and I've seen no data that cutting holes in the hood provides outside air to the intake as that may require a NACA air duct to be effective. Something about boundary layers. At speed does the air go in or come out? The holes will undeniably allow hot air to exit when the car is stopped, but that's the extent of any documentation I've seen.

The K&N FIPK as well as the OEM airbox and dozens of "cold air" intakes get outside air from the front of the car. If it was as simple as putting a cone filter directly on the induction manifold I suspect these products would have been laughed out of the marketplace years ago.

-- Chuck
Old 08-29-2016, 06:28 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a handheld kestrel I'm gonna Barrow, I'll make a thread in a few weeks. I'm on vacation att, but I should be able to record the direction of travel and how fast in knots the air is moving. At the least I'll be able to measure windspeed on the underside of the bonnet taped to the grilling where I have my s2k diy EX side holes. At traffic lights I deffly see very hot air pooling out, and I would also bet on the air is pushing out at speed. Either way to me, cold air in or hot air out I'm happy. This should be fun thnx for the idea!

I just can't imagine it's stagnant at speed tho. With cold high pressure air and hot low pressure air with just grilling in-between there has to be some kind of movement at speed.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After doing more experimenting even with a vented hood, the comptech preformed overall better.

I noticed that heat soak affected my DIY intake within 10 mins.