S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Origin Fab Header/Exhaust or.....?

Old 07-15-2016, 10:10 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Origin Fab Header/Exhaust or.....?

Hello Gents,

I'm about to pull the trigger on an Origin Fab setup for my AP1, but before doing so I wanted to run it by the boards here. The parts are obviously well constructed and the 321 stainless steel package weighs in at 19lbs, making it probably the lightest combination out there. The other benefit to running his product is the 63.5mm piping which I don't see any other manufacturer offering, which I feel is best for midrange gains. I could care less about peak figures. The design of the header is also very intriguing, especially when looking at the last set of runners, the length there is something no other header offers except for Hytech and even that's debatable. Exhaust design is also like no other I've seen, there's pretty much only 1 bend, resulting in what I believe to be the best flowing system available.

So what's the point of this thread? Well, the price point is where you would expect it to be. I don't want to get in to exact figures but the package is considerably higher in price than say a Spoon header/exhaust combo or even J's racing. So my question is, which direction, say money being no object would the boards go with? And then the same question WITH money being taken in to consideration..??

My bet is already on Origin. But I'd hate to pull the trigger on something knowing I could have spent $1500 elsewhere on the car and having comparable end results with a Spoon or J's combination. Both of those options would be 60mm, for me anyway.

I'd also like to add that with the package discussed with Origin, that my exhaust will include a Burns resonator and Helmholtz pipe along with a pie-cut, turn down muffler. Features very hard to come by with any of the shelf systems.

I know it would appear my mind is made up, but I'd really like to get some opinions before jumping in the fire.

photo for reference:

Old 07-15-2016, 10:32 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For the prices they charge, I'd much rather stick with stock header and run the Urge Scavenger system that Gernby designed. If you want mid range power, nothing will touch that system IMO.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by MattZ28
For the prices they charge, I'd much rather stick with stock header and run the Urge Scavenger system that Gernby designed. If you want mid range power, nothing will touch that system IMO.
Not that the Gernby designed system isn't a proven one, but there's just too much hoopla attached to it for my blood. With exhaust I prefer simplicity.

Granted the Origin is pricey, but you have to expect that with custom work and better materials. No one else is offering S2000 parts made from lighter and more durable 321 stainless.

The other aspect I forgot to touch on was sound. I'm pretty damn sure this thing is going to remain docile in the low RPM's with little to no drone given the added options Origin is providing, and then turn in to quite a song and dance after 6k.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:36 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

If mid range gains are what your wanting to capitalize on most, the first thing to do is ditch the cat and lower vtec. Those two things alone will prove you substantially more mid range power with the factory system then this system with without lowering vtec.

I'm still running a factory header and 60mm cat back with cat delete and a apexi/neo and adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Bang for the buck that's where its at. If I had thousands to chase a few extra hp beyond what I have, id be interested in looking into this lighter system with you, but I don't and I love the sound of my exhaust so I'm content with what I have, its plenty good. Your talking to a guy that previously came form a supercharged s2000 at over 400whp for years, and now back to NA.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:59 AM

After coming back in here and reading my own words, I've decided that my mind is pretty much made up.

Mods feel free to lock and or delete this thread.

I'll create a new one in 8 weeks when my Origin Fab parts show up
Old 07-15-2016, 12:23 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

that thing is going to be loud as hell and drone like crazy from 3-4k rpm
Old 07-15-2016, 03:16 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Its going to have a Burns mid muffler as a resonator so it shouldnt be bad on drone.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:21 PM

And a Helmholtz resonator, which is specifically targeted to combat drone. Which is why I think this is going to ultimately boil down to money well spent.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:05 AM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

ahh cool, i was basing my comment off the picture which i dont see a resonator?
Old 07-19-2016, 03:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by unclebobby
And a Helmholtz resonator, which is specifically targeted to combat drone. Which is why I think this is going to ultimately boil down to money well spent.
Congrats on going with Origin. I was actually just messaging him this week about a setup for my AP2. Yes it's expensive but the quality they produce is amazing from what I've seen. The welds are really a high point. I am looking to get the lightest, quietest setup as well and Dom my research only Origin can get what I'm looking for.

Quick Reply: Origin Fab Header/Exhaust or.....?