S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Skunk2 intake manifold

Old 12-08-2016, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelnyden
So are you saying a simple spacer like they used on the K series to mount it to a s2000 (adapter plate) adds the 2" necessary to show the nice gains CNC saw? maybe they should just make a plate of different thicknesses so you can tune the powerband.

To be honest all of this seems like conjecture...we need a dyno with the F series skunk2 ultra manifold...
The problem with ANY sort of a spacer between the head and manifold is it points the injectors in the wrong direction.

The injectors are very specifically angled directly at the intake valves. basically what this does is the fuel in injected parallel with the air flow as its turning the bend into the cylinder.

If you put a spacer between the head and manifold, the injectors now point towards the opposite side of the intake tube, so when the injector fires, the fuel is sprayed on the wall of the intake tube. Same idea as if you take a spray can and spray directly on a surface. The fuel will pool and turn back to liquid as soon as it hits the wall.

Now, if the intake was a two piece type, then you could put a spacer between the tubes and plenum, which would work well.

Anyways, I've scanned the factory intake and made a model of it SolidWorks and played around with the geometry, and ran a number of fluid dynamics simulations on it. The best results I get flow wise is if the plenum volume is increased by about 30%. So, my plan is to modify an existing S2000 intake by sawing half the plenum off, welding extension tubes to the intake runners and welding in a plenum spacer. It certainly would have been a lot easier if someone like Skunk2 actually made a practical street intake. I'm completely swamped with work stuff, so I have no idea when I'll be able to get around to hacking on this intake.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:12 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

cut oem and weld this on End feed plenum - Nissan Q45 throttle body - K Series - Honda
The following users liked this post:
Szoylent Green (12-08-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 06:54 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelnyden
So are you saying a simple spacer like they used on the K series to mount it to a s2000 (adapter plate) adds the 2" necessary to show the nice gains CNC saw? maybe they should just make a plate of different thicknesses so you can tune the powerband.

To be honest all of this seems like conjecture...we need a dyno with the F series skunk2 ultra manifold...
Enter the Xcessive manifold Rich, by the way, says they are working on it.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[Q
UOTE=s2000ellier;24117053]cut oem and weld this on End feed plenum - Nissan Q45 throttle body - K Series - Honda[/QUOTE]

​​​​​​​. I MIGHT TRY THIS IT'S CHEAP AND I JUST BOUGHT AN EXTRA INTAKE MANIFOLD JUST TO INSPECT THE DESIGN THANKS FOR THE SHARE
Old 12-09-2016, 05:21 AM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by imstimpy
Enter the Xcessive manifold Rich, by the way, says they are working on it.
He told me it was done and offered to ship it a couple weeks ago.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:14 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrsideways
He told me it was done and offered to ship it a couple weeks ago.
Prototype maybe? I didn't drop your name but I said "I heard a rumor...". Rich said it is coming and recommended watching their social media for announcements.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:16 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Prototype maybe? I didn't drop your name but I said "I heard a rumor...". Rich said it is coming and recommended watching their social media for announcements.
Tough to get excited about whatever it is (I assume the pics earlier in this thread approximates what is forthcoming?) but the Xcessive Manufacturing website doesn't even list anything for F series under the Honda section (but have B, H, K). Rich's FB page is even more hopeless. But I'll keep an open mind -- there is proof they have the expertise to put something together that is compelling. Longer runner length is critical, hopefully they are aware of this.

Last edited by snitm; 12-11-2016 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aren't the H and F series intake manifold bolt patterns pretty similar?
Old 12-12-2016, 05:59 AM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Hmm he gave me a price and acted like it could be in a box that day. Yes it was a 1 off. It was made to match the specs of my K series one for a buddies F24.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Szoylent Green
The problem with ANY sort of a spacer between the head and manifold is it points the injectors in the wrong direction.
This will be more of an issue with the 06-09 injectors that are vectored and dual cone spray. It applies for the 00-05 injectors as well, but it's not that serious as with the 06-09.

By the way, why extend the runners apart from increasing the plenum size? You found that more runner length has the potential for more power in the simulations?

Quick Reply: Skunk2 intake manifold