S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Skunk2 intake manifold

Old 01-26-2016, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skunk2 intake manifold

Hey guys, just heard back from Skunk2.

They say their S2000 Ultra Series intake manifold for the S2K will go on sale in April, currently they're just doing a few final tweaks on it. I've not been told of any pricing info, but I assume it's going to be similar to the K series, and its going to have the same design as the ultra series for the K series.

I'm excited!, combine the skunk2 intake with a set of stage 2 cams from Skunk2 or Brian crower, a HFC, and of course a flash-pro tune, and I'm happy.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:37 PM

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,444 Posts

I always hoped someone would try to improve upon the intake manifold, but I'm not sure there is much of a gain to be found there. Skunk2 didn't do so well with their exhaust manifold development, does anyone think they can find hidden power in the intake manifold. Curious to see it though.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:00 PM

There's actually an intake design I want to try, basically it's a modification of the factory intake.

The plenum is too small on the factory intake, and this prevents the optimal intake resonance from occurring. Not a big deal on a boosted or stock engine, but I think it's probably a limiting factor once you've improved the exhaust and have a set of cams.

I'm looking at sawing the plenum off the stock intake, and welding a plate onto to runners, then increasing the plenum size by about 20% and having it machined to bolt back on.

Just need to get ahold of an AP2, preferably DBW intake to try this design.

I've made a model of the intake in Comsol (a fluid dynamics package), and i think this basic change should significantly increase and even out flow, as the model shows uneven flow berween cyl1 and cyl2-4.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an OEM dbw intake that has been ported for a bigger to and adapter if your ibrerested
Old 01-27-2016, 11:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are intake manifolds a major bottleneck for NA applications? I know most people praise bolt ons + lowered VTEC, haven't really heard much about intake manifolds though. Looking forward to this.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:12 AM

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been really looking forward to this as there is really nothing in the market for us. I'm sure we will see positive results from intake
Can't wait to get mine lol
Old 01-28-2016, 02:17 AM

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
I always hoped someone would try to improve upon the intake manifold, but I'm not sure there is much of a gain to be found there. Skunk2 didn't do so well with their exhaust manifold development, does anyone think they can find hidden power in the intake manifold. Curious to see it though.

Skunk 2 ultra manifold has proven to provided gains in k/d/b series I dont see it not provide the same for us.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:24 AM

Skunk2 Ultra manifold is modular. you can take the runners apart from the plenum. makes it easier to port. add spacers for a bigger plenum.

this is the manifold that you'll grow with, instead of replacing.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:58 AM

Based on just my measurements and calculations (I have not built or tested other manifolds on the S2K, just calculations), the factory manifold is pretty well designed, but there's a lot of room for improvement.

I don't think a different manifold would improve boosted engines much, as boosted engines rely mostly on flow, and don't use intake resonance much to deliver power. The factory manifold actually has really good flow characteristics, so its great for boost. However, us NA engine folks rely in intake resonance to deliver power. The factory manifold is close, but it does not have even runners, and the plenum volume is too small, this causes intake pulses to interfere with each other, and reduce resonance, and the plenum wall is too close to the intake tubes which I think causes some weird interference in the plenum chamber.

The intake is certainly not the first thing I think could be improved, in order of mods, what I think makes the most sense is:
1: Flash-pro
2: air filter
3: exhaust (HFC)
5: intake manifold
4: cams (Brian Crower stage2 or Skunk2)

Again, I haven't actually tested any manifolds, but I've made some careful measurements of a '04 factory manifold, and created a model in Comsol (fluid dynamics package), computer models are a huge help, but they need to be tested before anything absolutely definitive can be said.

I'm just guesstimating here, but I'd guess that with a tune and exhaust, an improved intake is maybe worth 15-25 HP. If you have a built engine, stroked, lots of headwork, cams, that value would certainly go up.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:43 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Keep working on it fellas Some of us OG's are still waiting for the top end of this car to get properly and definitely unlocked. I'm still running the factory cams, intake and header. 80% of the performance improvement has been in the midrange so far, with all the lower hanging fruit picked.

Quick Reply: Skunk2 intake manifold