S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Urge / Endyn engine failure

Old 08-21-2014, 05:44 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Feel free to PM me Gernby, but will be leaving this open for now.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

PM Sent.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am more of a lurker on forums and don't feel compelled to talk to on the forums but I feel your pain MB. We purchased a k24 motor from Endyn that lasted 30 minutes as well. Larry told us the world before we bought the motor. I remember a key point that sold us was "I treat customers how I would want to be treated". We bought motors from HPD as well and they never had problems 2+ seasons without issue.After the issues Endyn (Larry's) customer service went down the hill. Larry put the blame on us on our oiling and our tuner. When we sent it back to him he would give the run around. We told him we would even pay the money for the repair. He would give us excuse after excuse and used his cancer and how he did not want to build engines anymore. After months of months we got fed up and asked for our motor back. We got it back in pieces.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:38 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm local, have met and toured Endyn's shop a few times and I also bought a full engine from them. (I never dealt with Patrick, but have heard good things) and while Larry and Josh have very opinionated mouthes on them, they rightfully do, both are beyond competent, and the tolerances they allow are unmatched. This is quite surprising to hear, I'm sure they have their reasoning.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:50 PM

As well he blamed it on us for oil starvation. Looking back at my old emails I would like to add:

Larry's response:

"Sounds like it was starved of oil. You should be running -8 lines with a low restriction oil cooler and a Accusump for road racing. Pressure drop with anything smaller will overwhelm the oil pump."

Honestly speaking our team has been racing in national touring car series for multiple years. Not once did he mention these specific details and that these exact supporting mods would be needed. We spent around 20k USD on a motor and even if you gave us a extensive list we would have happily spent the money doing it to insure the longevity of it. He blamed the fuel we were using as well, when the series controls what fuels we use. Heck we even sent him the rule book of the series before we got him to build the motor. I hope nobody else is unfortunate enough to have this happen to them.

This is not a knock on Patrick as I think he chose the wrong partner but at the same time i feel he has some shared responsibility as he acted as the middle man. As far I have seen he(Patrick) seems like a stand up guy.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is unacceptable and they need to make this right.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:01 PM

I feel for you, I had a race engine fail on the dyno, and of course everyone just points at each other, the failure was a new OEM tensioner. In these situations, no one covers it but for the poor owner the vast majority of the time.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:29 PM
MB

Agreed...

Originally Posted by hondajonno
As well he blamed it on us for oil starvation. Looking back at my old emails I would like to add:

Larry's response:

"Sounds like it was starved of oil. You should be running -8 lines with a low restriction oil cooler and a Accusump for road racing. Pressure drop with anything smaller will overwhelm the oil pump."

Honestly speaking our team has been racing in national touring car series for multiple years. Not once did he mention these specific details and that these exact supporting mods would be needed. We spent around 20k USD on a motor and even if you gave us a extensive list we would have happily spent the money doing it to insure the longevity of it. He blamed the fuel we were using as well, when the series controls what fuels we use. Heck we even sent him the rule book of the series before we got him to build the motor. I hope nobody else is unfortunate enough to have this happen to them.

This is not a knock on Patrick as I think he chose the wrong partner but at the same time i feel he has some shared responsibility as he acted as the middle man. As far I have seen he(Patrick) seems like a stand up guy.
Appreciate the post. Very interesting. The response I got says it all really, they can do no wrong, and i'm just glad I didn't send it back as it's clear I would have got shipping costs both ways, and a big bill.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:11 AM

Would have been better off not replying... there is an old saying in politics that goes something like "explaining is losing". I doubt many people would believe that little tap on the track would cause the engine failure, would more likely be the guy in the book depository, or the grassy knoll, that caused it.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:16 AM
MB

Off track 'accident'? I moved out the way of a car spinning in front of me, and ran over the kerb and about 6-10 feet of straight grass. Zero sump damage (I have a carbon flat floor) I think it clear on the video that this is nothing.

The damage to the rear was a mild bump from the guy behind. A dented bumper.

If this can cause all the main bearings to fatigue to destruction, well id be amazed. I am happy to be open about everything on this issue, but had not posted this because I do not feel its relevant.

I retired the car as quickly and safey as I could. It had lost pressure by then so the damage to the bearings and crank was already done before that.

Regarding the claims on oil starvation, as I said in my first post, this is what we thought initially but htis was based on what we saw of the bearing debris. At this stage we had not taken the engine apart, my mechanic had dropped the sump and split the head for an initial check. Once I had the engine sent to the guy now rebuilding it, and it was fully stripped, I happily admitted that it was not oil related and it was a bearing fatigue issue which we believe was caused by the crank.

On the mapping, we couldnt get the AFR with the small intake and my mapper stopped it after a few dyno pulls (I was abroad at this point) and I consulted Patrick directly. He did not know what size I should be using but kindly went away to check. We changed it to 3.5" and re-mapped and got the extra power and a smooth AFR plot. Again, I shared all the dyno info with Urge so it's a shame this non relevant point is being used as a distraction.

Regarding the manifold crack, this was an initial observation, and 1 week later when we opend up the head and saw the pistons were fine I let Urge know. At that point the email conversation was when both Urge and I were working together on it and was just open conversation, not an accusation.

To be honest though, that's water under the bridge. I still have a destroyed engine and the latest findings are the ones I am stating in my first post.

I think you have to ask if any of those issues raised contributes towards a cause or fixing the engine, or if they are a distraction.

This should be the focus.

Having only 1 theory on the failure that I drove over a kerb just doesn't cut it.

And having $17k in your pocket may add to some sleep comfort.

Quick Reply: Urge / Endyn engine failure