S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Velocity stack AFTER air filter BEFORE throttle body

Old 02-26-2017, 07:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Velocity stack AFTER air filter BEFORE throttle body

Hey guys, I am currently continuing my quest for the hard earned NA horsepower we know for the s2000 engine. My question is... how do you think a velocity stack (vs) before the throttle body (touching or a few mm before it) would perform? Also, how this would perform with a vs/air filter combo? I ask cause I don't have any experience with any vs. I know what they do and the complexities with their diameter/lengths effecting flow. How about what do they do in an unusual place on a very picky engine? I know there is more to it than just slapping a vs on and go. But they're relatively cheap so I can experiment. My car is by no means stock. I know a vs in a tube may or may not have that much of an effect. (I would lean more towards little to no effect.). That said....I don't have a tubular intake I have a passwordjdm power chamber..... Here's my set up:

Car
2005 AP2 F22c 80k miles...ish

Intake
Passwordjdm power chamber.
Soon will purchase vs/air filter combo
80mm k tuned throttle body (purchased not installed)
Ballade sports 70mm tb (changing it real soon to the 80mm)
Ballade sports bored out 69mm intake manifold (changing it real soon)
Hopefully a possible purchase on a skunk2 intake manifold soon. (No k series adapter) yes I know how rare they are lol

Fuel/Control
ID 1000's (purchased not installed)
RDX Injectors
Haltech platinum plug in pro
E85/93 pump flex fuel
GM flex fuel sensor
PLX wide and O2 sensor

Engine
4piston CNC head
DDtech custom stg2 cams
Ferrea valve train
Toda tct

Exhaust
Skunk2 mega power
Invidia 70mm test pipe
HKS Hi power single

What do you guys think?

Last edited by AP2SSM; 02-26-2017 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Added mods
Old 02-26-2017, 07:35 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Sick list! Very diverse with some of the best in the industry. Good thought out build. What's it making now if you don't mind me asking?

Only way to tell would be back to back tuned setups. Intake lengths, n diameter all play a roll in this beauty we know of NA, and how it will change it. Both might make a certain area shine more in different areas. And then u can pick which one you want.

I fully promote testing, data, and troubleshooting. It does cost money to do these things, but I never like to have a narrow mind or fall into the "norm" or wagon of x+y=z with bolt-ons. If u wanna test something out do it! Then either keep ur experience/knowledge, or present your findings.

Last edited by MorngWoodStewie; 02-26-2017 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:46 PM

Thanks! No I don't mind at all. On one Mustang Dyno it made 263 to wheel (Tanabe medallion dual exhaust, 60mm test pipe and straight pump gas)
on another 245 (with e85, HKS single and retune). No excuses but from what I am told by my tuner is that these dynos are very heart breaking. He said a stock ap2 on his dyno (the first) gets to 200 to the wheels. The second dyno (not his) reads lower. Unfortunately I ran out of air and injectors. Something's I forgot to mention was that right now I am running RDX injectors, ballade sports 70mm tb, ballade sports 69mm intake manifold. This is why I want to change my intake set up. Lol. Still pulling a vacuum at wot
Old 02-26-2017, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by MorngWoodStewie
Sick list! Very diverse with some of the best in the industry. Good thought out build. What's it making now if you don't mind me asking?

Only way to tell would be back to back tuned setups. Intake lengths, n diameter all play a roll in this beauty we know of NA, and how it will change it. Both might make a certain area shine more in different areas. And then u can pick which one you want.

I fully promote testing, data, and troubleshooting. It does cost money to do these things, but I never like to have a narrow mind or fall into the "norm" or wagon of x+y=z with bolt-ons. If u wanna test something out do it! Then either keep ur experience/knowledge, or present your findings.
Yeah man I will definitely show my findings (if any). I have nothing to hide haha. It's hard to say what a vs stack would do on a tb. Just something I though of, researched it and found zero info on any inline engines. Nothing but individual tb info in this territory. I would think it would speed up the air going in for sure. But with pressure waves going all over the place inside.... I would hate to disturb the designed turbulence in the manifold. But who knows with my set up. I have different cams ya know. Maybe I am over thinking the pressure wave disturbance
Old 02-26-2017, 08:03 PM

Ahh ic. Don't worry so much about different dynos showing different #'s, what is good tho U or ur tuner spotted the vacuum, that's what dynos r for.

I was gonna say a lil overkill on the ID1ks but figured maybe u got a deal on em or all u had or something, not really important, especially since ur E85 as well. I would test both setups on one dyno, both tuned. Cut all variables or as many as possible out. When u switch do both with patience making sure nothing is crooked or sideways; take your time during swaps.
I guess what I'm saying is perhaps you take your time at home with the first setup, drive to dyno test/tune. Then while your strapped (cause time is money) u rip first setup out n throw second one on, and she does mediocre. That's all. GL.
sorry I couldn't be more help or have an answer, you could read up on or wait for some answers from researched short rams and cais n stuff might give u an idea of how it will behave but no one engine, especially extensively modified as is your will react the same per say. I'm in for data
Old 02-26-2017, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by MorngWoodStewie
Ahh ic. Don't worry so much about different dynos showing different #'s, what is good tho U or ur tuner spotted the vacuum, that's what dynos r for.

I was gonna say a lil overkill on the ID1ks but figured maybe u got a deal on em or all u had or something, not really important, especially since ur E85 as well. I would test both setups on one dyno, both tuned. Cut all variables or as many as possible out. When u switch do both with patience making sure nothing is crooked or sideways; take your time during swaps.
I guess what I'm saying is perhaps you take your time at home with the first setup, drive to dyno test/tune. Then while your strapped (cause time is money) u rip first setup out n throw second one on, and she does mediocre. That's all. GL.
sorry I couldn't be more help or have an answer, you could read up on or wait for some answers from researched short rams and cais n stuff might give u an idea of how it will behave but no one engine, especially extensively modified as is your will react the same per say. I'm in for data
Awesome. Yeah I guess there's a first time with anything lol. What sucks though is that I may have to cut my carbon fiber intake. Scary I know. Not even sure if the chamber would fit correctly after the manifold swap. I do have a plan of how I might have to do it. I need to call passwordjdm tomorrow or soon to find out if they have tried this already. I can't take their word for it completely cause my set up. But it all goes back to the same answer which is to just try it lol.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:23 PM

Ya don't get hung up on that wave stuff, just know it's their lol. especially since u wanna go skunk2 race or street, even not using the adapter or using it; those primary Intake lengths and cam opening n closing events all play a role in how it will perform.

Test and observe is all I can say. At least then you'll know which setup helps. It's hard on the s2k cause so much is already extracted, gains on the old flat tappet engines were much easier or obvious to see.

Edit: try cutting your pretty, brand new GPW hood bonnet for the first time eek. Took me 10 minutes to grow a pair lol.

Last edited by MorngWoodStewie; 02-26-2017 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:57 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Just buy a Mugen intake and call it a day. It has a velocity stack attached to the base of the filter.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:02 AM

I am not questioning the filter velocity stack. That's too easy. I was talking about putting another vs inside the power chamber. In other words. I would have two velocity stacks. The last being almost attached to the throttle body.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would do it. Taken pics of when you do it so I can see how you did it. Aftermarket intake manifolds has velocity stacks on the runners so I wouldn't see why a velocity stack before the throttle body wouldn't work either. At the point you're at with your mods you're gonna need every 1 whp from various places and just watch it add up.

Quick Reply: Velocity stack AFTER air filter BEFORE throttle body