S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Hardrace camber-adding (offset)/roll-center-adjusting ball joints for STR and track S2000s

Old 07-26-2011, 02:15 PM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

I understand what you're saying and they probably are more than sufficient. I'd definitely run the hardrace ones before megan racing.

There really isn't any proof the J's is any better but the Japanese generally take pride in quality over quantity or anything else which in my mind says they are more likely to use higher quality parts. Doesn't mean it's the truth though. I've seen failures of high end products like that too.

Maybe a little more peace of mind is all you really get. I'd like to see one or two guys that track their cars try these out. I'm not sure about the autocross being more abusive than track though. They are likely more abusive on certain components compared to each other.

Do you have any installed pics? I'd like to see real world pics of these instead of just product pictures.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by //steve\\
I understand what you're saying and they probably are more than sufficient. I'd definitely run the hardrace ones before megan racing.

There really isn't any proof the J's is any better but the Japanese generally take pride in quality over quantity or anything else which in my mind says they are more likely to use higher quality parts. Doesn't mean it's the truth though. I've seen failures of high end products like that too.

Maybe a little more peace of mind is all you really get. I'd like to see one or two guys that track their cars try these out. I'm not sure about the autocross being more abusive than track though. They are likely more abusive on certain components compared to each other.

Do you have any installed pics? I'd like to see real world pics of these instead of just product pictures.
I agree that some parts of cars get more abused than others on track vs autox cars, but all the quick repetitive loading/unloading of the front suspension tends to really stress autox cars. For example, the front upper a-arm mounts seperating from the frame was found much earlier on autox cars and later were also found on track cars. I'd say if these ball joints can take the beating that they do in autox, they'll be just fine for the track.

As soon as I get my hands on another set of camber joints, I'll post pics of them installed, as well as next to the stock ones. Compared to the stock unit,they really do look quite beefy.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:16 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The only thing the J's joint has going for them is the fact that they've been out for a while and I haven't heard of any failures so that pretty much shows they use a decent part.
As far as auto x goes vs track, my concern was the impact of curbing, not lateral loading but instead vertical loading of the joint.

I didn't realize they make other ball joints like this for other cars, I'll have to do a little more research.

Thanks again for the info and look forward to seeing some pics

BTW do you know if the ball joint is replaceable?
Old 07-26-2011, 03:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you adjust to the other end of the spectrum with these ball joints? Also do they work on the rear?

I have brand new megan racing upper control arms and I am trying to get rid of negative camber in the rear to gain more contact patch on the tires in a straight line. The megan control arms are complete BS. They have been squeaking since install and my suspension barely moves. Customer support is absolutely terrible also. I'm looking for another option for to correct my camber!
Old 07-26-2011, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by macr88
The only thing the J's joint has going for them is the fact that they've been out for a while and I haven't heard of any failures so that pretty much shows they use a decent part.
As far as auto x goes vs track, my concern was the impact of curbing, not lateral loading but instead vertical loading of the joint.

I didn't realize they make other ball joints like this for other cars, I'll have to do a little more research.

Thanks again for the info and look forward to seeing some pics

BTW do you know if the ball joint is replaceable?
From what I recall, I don't think they were designed to be replaceable, but the bottom end of the mount does have a whole, so it may very well be possible to press the old one out and put a new one in if you could source a similar size ball joint.

I won't be able to get pics up for at least 2 weeks, so please be patient! Thanks!
Old 07-26-2011, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by o'malley_808
Can you adjust to the other end of the spectrum with these ball joints? Also do they work on the rear?

I have brand new megan racing upper control arms and I am trying to get rid of negative camber in the rear to gain more contact patch on the tires in a straight line. The megan control arms are complete BS. They have been squeaking since install and my suspension barely moves. Customer support is absolutely terrible also. I'm looking for another option for to correct my camber!
Sorry, this part only works for the front suspension.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:50 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been looking into the J's joint for a year so I think I can wait 2 weeks
Old 07-26-2011, 04:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll see about getting pics from my car this week.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:12 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

^you've got the hardrace ones on your car?
The following users liked this post:
s2kslav (07-31-2017)
Old 07-27-2011, 06:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by //steve\\
^you've got the hardrace ones on your car?
Yes, James Yom introduced me to them.

Quick Reply: Hardrace camber-adding (offset)/roll-center-adjusting ball joints for STR and track S2000s